DIY Shellac.....so mad

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A client thought I was 32.

My mouth dropped right open lol

Haha yeah I've had that before. Although i think I'm a bit closer to it than you are!?

A client thought I was 32.

My mouth dropped right open lol

I get that..I'm managing a salon at the minute, and I'm only 19! Not many people believe me when I say my age, so I guess I'm still classed as a 'teen' but my colleagues dont look down on me and neither do my clients :)

I flew off a little about the video when I.first saw it, but do be fair, as persianista says, there are always going to be diyers trying to do a professionals job, but people do learn the hard way really.

Kayleigh xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

Eskimotech I had no idea how old she was, some young women are far better Therapists than older ones I am sure. If I have offended you..sorry. I just watched the video and commented on my thoughts on it thats all! Now I know why I dont bother commenting half the time. If some spent less energy fretting about inexperienced young girls experimenting the world would be a clamer place, chill out!!

Eskimotech I had no idea how old she was, some young women are far better Therapists than older ones I am sure. If I have offended you..sorry. I just watched the video and commented on my thoughts on it thats all! Now I know why I dont bother commenting half the time. If some spent less energy fretting about inexperienced young girls experimenting the world would be a clamer place, chill out!!

It would also be calmer and nicer if people did not react so sensitively and personally to a perfectly normal comment, stirthemud. :hug:

She isn't a retard, I absolutely LOATHE that expression as I have a son with Aspergers who's had that thrown at him at school several times. What she is is a normal teenager (looks school age or just out of school to me) who does what teens do and is trying everything herself. She's posted it on Youtube because that's the age we live in.

Actually I'll stand in the other corner and say I think she has the gift of the gab and IF she were to go on and develop an interest in doing nails she'd probably go far if she turned out to have the skills. She knew why it had lifted, which I get the feeling was what she meant and she found that edge and then picked it off. She will never be the only one to have her nails done and then try it home. I did, I bought try me kits off Fleabay and tried to do what my nail tech did and had never ending issues. It was only with training that I realised why I had lift and breakages.

This video doesn't make me feel angry, anyone who tries what she recommended will soon hit snags and actually I don't believe that anyone searching for Shellac info will see that and take it as anything against the product given she's obviously so very very young.

Apologies if I offended u! Not my intention wrote without thinking :(

I am totally gobsmacked!

Actually whats puzzled me more is seeing the distributors for CND in Norway post a picture today of Brisa nails with Shellac Black Pool, then two shades of Effects and then Shellac topcoat for gloss. Are there a range of Effects coming out in Shellac or will it be the usual Effects?

Actually whats puzzled me more is seeing the distributors for CND in Norway post a picture today of Brisa nails with Shellac Black Pool, then two shades of Effects and then Shellac topcoat for gloss. Are there a range of Effects coming out in Shellac or will it be the usual Effects?
We already have effects with Shellac and more coming in September.

Ok I have just one just now so maybe they are previewing others.

Thanks Geeg! :D

Last edited:
what an idiot. cant believe she actually posted a video of this on you tube.

she has now made her video private and can only be seen if invited so obv she has taken note of whats being said

I mailed her this morning and she mailed back saying she was going to take it down. She was really shocked at the sudden burst of comments this morning. She had seen a video herself of some one doing the same and decided to give it a go and bought he same products as she'd seen.

Here's the mail although the last few words were missing you get the gist

Hey,

"Any idea why I have been bombarded with nail techs today? Lol it all seems to have come from no where.

I never said that I was 100% sure it was genuine or anything and I do not pretend to be a professional. I shared on my blog that I had shellac professionally done and loved it and had it done a couple of times. Then I saw a YouTube video of someone else who has pretty much the same stuff (I bought what they had) and she said she uses her own nail varnishes. I wanted to give this a go as I wanted to longevity of shellac but the flexibility to use my own colours.

I know this isn't the best way to do it I just wanted to give it a go really. There are also a lot of other YouTubers with similar videos so not sure why mine has got all these comments.

I appreciate your message and understand where you are coming from. I most likely will remove the video as I don't want to give anyone misinformed information its just a shame as I made it for people that asked to see what I do and they are happy with it but I understand that that may just be lucky and someone might.

Thanks"

So, she took on board all that was said.

Xxx

Sent from my A500 using SalonGeek

lol she still has no idea what she is doing. She is just a little girl though, I dont think she has any intention of providing a service to the public, she is playing at being a grown up like Teenagers do. Shame she was able to buy the products off e-bay though really, its the Tech's that sell them on there that should be ashamed of themselves really....

This is actually quite a balanced view of the young lady and her nail video.

i hope you're not saying teenagers can't be nail techs?

Eskimo!! I really don't think stirthemud was suggesting anything of the kind .. and if she had known it was going to be 'The Eskimo' coming back at her she probably would have worded it differently lol!!!

You like to be blunt and to the point so maybe you could try to give others the benefit of the doubt when you read into a post what may not be there.

Sent with respect.

Jacqui xx

I mailed her this morning and she mailed back saying she was going to take it down. She was really shocked at the sudden burst of comments this morning. She had seen a video herself of some one doing the same and decided to give it a go and bought he same products as she'd seen.

Here's the mail although the last few words were missing you get the gist

Hey,

"Any idea why I have been bombarded with nail techs today? Lol it all seems to have come from no where.

I never said that I was 100% sure it was genuine or anything and I do not pretend to be a professional. I shared on my blog that I had shellac professionally done and loved it and had it done a couple of times. Then I saw a YouTube video of someone else who has pretty much the same stuff (I bought what they had) and she said she uses her own nail varnishes. I wanted to give this a go as I wanted to longevity of shellac but the flexibility to use my own colours.

I know this isn't the best way to do it I just wanted to give it a go really. There are also a lot of other YouTubers with similar videos so not sure why mine has got all these comments.

I appreciate your message and understand where you are coming from. I most likely will remove the video as I don't want to give anyone misinformed information its just a shame as I made it for people that asked to see what I do and they are happy with it but I understand that that may just be lucky and someone might.

Thanks"

So, she took on board all that was said.

Xxx

Sent from my A500 using SalonGeek

i am going to be very two faced here :o but i actualy feel sorry for her now shes right there are loads of these video on you tube and we dont spend our time finding them all and bombarding them till they take it down .

i am going to be very two faced here :o but i actualy feel sorry for her now shes right there are loads of these video on you tube and we dont spend our time finding them all and bombarding them till they take it down .

I felt sorry for her from the outset and here's why. You can buy kits in Argos, Boots, QVC etc telling you that you dont have to spend a fortune and do your nails at home. Most people wouldn't know that the products on Fleabay are proffesional use only as they would probably think its all much the same. WHY would they know its 'wrong' if Shellac and other systems are there for them to buy and a search on fleabay can buy a lamp? I doubt it will be long before Rio have a colour based kit out on QVC if they don't already.

As I see it we are lucky as we found our way to training but some of us were doing our own nails before then because we didn't know any better either.

I sometimes hope that if they do decide to research about training and find themselves here ( I did) that they dont recognise user names or even worse find the topics concerned.

Xxx

So very annoying!!! But it's the same tale with Minx - girls watch a bad video on YouTube, buy Minx foils from EBay then offer mobile minxing for £10!! There's lots of them round my area - which makes advertising my service at £20 a little difficult. People think they're getting a bargain & don't realise it's a substandard service until after they've paid out for it.

I'd still like to know if anyone else has clear bristles in their shellac...

I'm sure my base coat has clear bristles and I bought mine from Fingertips in Edinburgh. I may be wrong, will double check when I'm home from (non beauty related work :sad:)

I just got an email from a client today, and ran across this thread in trying to decide how to address it.

About 6 weeks ago, I did a Shellac treatment on 3 sisters, one of whom lives in the Netherlands. This sister loved it, and really wanted help in keeping it up when she returned to her home country, so I posted threads on here and helped her find some local nail techs.

She had 2 treatments from 2 different techs, but she's not happy with their service or the final result. Cost and distance are also a factor - the closest one she can find is 30km away.

So she sent me an email this morning, essentially asking me how she could do it herself, and where I got that fantastic brush to do my french lines. She saw she could get the lamps off Amazon, as well as "everything else she needs". I just looked, and sure enough, there it all was. No licence required.

*** So, how do I respond? I like this lady, and still serve her other two sisters who are local. I understand her conundrum, but I'm a professional and still want to keep this from becoming a DIY project. How would you suggest I word this?

I've been lambasted on other forums (non nail tech) about insisting that SHellac is a professional product only, and people do not care. If it's for sale, they should be able to buy and use it. It's really concerning me - there's whole website designed to show people how to do this and also telling them that we nail techs are just ripping off the public.

Advice, please?

Latest posts

Back