Do people not want to work these days?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact is that the vast majority on this forum are self employed, so don't represent the demographic of people who are looking for a job.
The world has changed. Jobs are scarce, and wages have fallen dramatically. The days of dictating to a potential employer are well and truly over. The people who demand to only work between 10 and 3 a couple of days a week are likely to become self employed.
There are massive changes happening in the service sector in terms of opening hours increasing, costs increasing and profitability falling.
To the OP, keep advertising, be clear in the ad what you're looking for, and stick to your guns.

To balance the thread, I think there are lots of perks to being employed over self employed....You don't have to advertise for clients, you don't have to work out your tax/ni/pay someone to do it for you, if a client doesn't show up it doesn't effect your pay, you have a mostly predictable income, if you have an employer who's good with it you can train with product brands that many self employed people couldn't afford to open accounts with, you get to bounce ideas off other therapists and improve your treatments as a result, you should hopefully get a reference and be able to show on your cv that you can work for someone else and be part of a team, no pressure to divise offers and worry about client loyalty (sure, it's very important to ensure client satisfaction but everything else relating to client loyalty relates to someone else's job role...promotions team for e.g.).

The above is basically why I've chosen employed over self employment and I am hoping to be able to stay with that (even if I change jobs to another salon) over the next few years.

My main frustrations with employment are that some product training is at the employers (very restricted sometimes!) discretion, feeling overworked/overlooked and underpaid, not being able to offer treatments that the employer doesn't seek to add to the treatment menu, having to adjust the service/treatments you offer to keep them in line with employer instructions, the occaisional client complaint is taken as fact and sometimes tellings off are rewarded more liberally than praise, the whole bums on seats at any cost mentality, the occaisional bit of workplace politics.

I don't know which bit I wrote the most points for but either way, I do think that I prefer employment at the moment, much as there are some less desirable aspects of it over being self employed.

Life is too short and precious to be slave to someone elses grind. If more people are realising this and looking for quality of life rather than being willing to spend their time working all hours then it can only be a good thing.

Life isn't about just working and if frightens me sometimes that our society seems so caught up in it that we seem to forget what life is relly about.

I think there needs to be a big fat pause button in our society with regard to the I want it now mentality.
We're in danger of regressing to the days of slave labour.
Call centres are indeed the modern sweat shop; have any of you seen how Amazon runs its distribution centres?! They have computerised trolleys that take the staff the quickest way to the next item to be picked, and if the staff fall short of the pre defined timings they're warned.
There are always going to be people for whom work is NOT their first priority, and I'm not sure they should be penalised or victimised because of it.
Perhaps everyone needs to be more realistic and accepting of each other's lives?
When I was a theatre sister I worked shifts, sometimes double ones if there was sickness.
But nothing short of a major incident would stop me from having Wednesday evening off; I was at Eastleigh College doing my CIBTAC beauty course! I would happily work a bit extra here and there, swap shifts last minute, even swap days off, but nothing got in the way of Wednesday evening.
I know from both sides of the equation that miserable staff are neither use nor ornament.

The debate around whether employment is better than self employment is, has been, and always will be a moot point.

The working relationships that work best are those where both the employer and employee are loyal, mature (nothing to do with age), and willing to share goals. Then, a bit of give and take from both sides is appreciated and cements the bond.

Employers need to value employees, and vice versa. Of course, it's not as easy as that; recruiting the right person can be down to luck in the end, however rigorous the process is.

I've done the whole staffing thing. I had one girl who worked for me on a self employed basis who was brilliant and was fully booked very quickly!
I took a girl on employed and I couldn't get rid of her quick enough! I had that much of a bad experience with her that ill never take staff on again as long as I live!
After having spoke to other friends who have salons I find that the only way you really get your money's worth out of someone is to have them down as self employed where they only get paid if they're doing treatments

I think putting all your money on Self-employed staff is a mistake. They can get very complacent and refuse to clean or refuse to stay late, you have a whole other set of issues. Also if they had no appointments they would just go home. I was then short staffed when walk-ins wanted to book appointments. It drove me mad. I have had many self-employed girls and let me tell you, the employed ones work harder because they are paid to.

I feel in terms of finding the right staff, it's about wording your advert in such a way that you attract the confident, hard-working professionals and put off the time wasters.

People who really love what they do, make plans to work late nights and working Saturdays isn't an issue. The right people for your business will work your hours, they are out there! I agree with an earlier poster, too many part time staff means more training costs.

Having full time staff working rotas and having different days off works. This way if they have places to be or things to do, they can work around them and possibly swap with other members of staff. I found this the most effective, it also encourages a good Team.

The last salon I worked in before I got laid off I worked 63 hours a week,7 days a week,late nights etc.I have a special needs child who has many problems.I worked for NMW.I had no weekends with my daughter no evenings nothing.I cleaned,did treatments,opened up shop,shut up shop,handled banking etc I did everything and got shat on by my employer big time.

I worked my ass off I've got a child and a dog but still pit the work and effort in.

I have now been unemployed for 5 months can't fined a job for toffee.I've applied for everything from cleaning dirty toilets,shop work,greggs,hair salons and nail tech positions.I'll send in cv to everywhere.

Jobs are scarse but there are people out there like myself and others who are good employees who will work there ass off and sacrifice home life to support there children and pay the bills.

I missed my gal so much but I knew that I had to work to provide and that is the sacrifice I had to make to give her a better life and to show her good work morels.

I would do it all over again and will when I fined a new job.I'm not scared of long hours and hard work it's a must.xx

The last salon I worked in before I got laid off I worked 63 hours a week,7 days a week,late nights etc.I have a special needs child who has many problems.I worked for NMW.I had no weekends with my daughter no evenings nothing.I cleaned,did treatments,opened up shop,shut up shop,handled banking etc I did everything and got shat on by my employer big time.

I worked my ass off I've got a child and a dog but still pit the work and effort in.

I have now been unemployed for 5 months can't fined a job for toffee.I've applied for everything from cleaning dirty toilets,shop work,greggs,hair salons and nail tech positions.I'll send in cv to everywhere.

Jobs are scarse but there are people out there like myself and others who are good employees who will work there ass off and sacrifice home life to support there children and pay the bills.

I missed my gal so much but I knew that I had to work to provide and that is the sacrifice I had to make to give her a better life and to show her good work morels.

I would do it all over again and will when I fined a new job.I'm not scared of long hours and hard work it's a must.xx

Yes and you will do all that for your boss and they never pay you enough. They use you like a tool and then let you go:sad:

Im sorry to hear this happened to you and i really admire you for saying that youd do it all again. In my opinion that makes you stronger than many.

Definately apply to some spas if you can, they seem to recruit often.

I also think that because jobs are scarce employers are less worried about taking the mick because they know that if one person wont put up with it there will be someone else that will. I also fear that many employers exploit the fact that employees are anxious not to lose their job what with it being hard to find another job.

Bring on the post recession boom where employers have to compete more with other employers to retain staff. Give the power back to the little guy, thats what i say anyway lol!

Amen! Love your attitude. I want to give you a big hug and really hope you get a job with someone who appreciates what a fab employee you are xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Latest posts

Back