Do you know where your hair extensions come from?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kateyork1

CND Grand Master Geek!!!
Reaction score
I've just been watching GMTV and they were talking about hair extensions and where they comes from. They showed what goes on in India to get hair extensions to us in the west. Obviously not all hair extensions come from there but how do you know where your supplier gets them from? The women processing the hair in India are working in awful conditions for about $5 a week. Did anyone else see this an if so what did you think? If you do extensions and you know your hair isn't from the sweat shops then maybe you could use this in your marketing and promote hair from places where the workers and the people giving the hair are treated like humans. Thoughts geeks? xx

There's an intersting article in this weeks Grazia about this too.

~Shelley~ and I went to a Balmain presentation a month or so back and they assured us that their hair was ethically sourced from China...how much truth there is in this I'm not not sure, but for anyone wishing to pursue the more ethical route it would be a good place to start looking.

Stuff like that makes me ashamed of myself sometimes, we all want top quality things for rock bottom prices and we rarely consider what kind of conditions the people who have made them are working in. I would definitely choose to have hair extensions from someone who could show they hadn't come from one of these sweat factories even if they were dearer. The problem is as said above, even if your supplier tells you how do you know thats true, they might not even know if its true.

fats28 said:
Stuff like that makes me ashamed of myself sometimes, we all want top quality things for rock bottom prices and we rarely consider what kind of conditions the people who have made them are working in. I would definitely choose to have hair extensions from someone who could show they hadn't come from one of these sweat factories even if they were dearer. The problem is as said above, even if your supplier tells you how do you know thats true, they might not even know if its true.

Yeah, me too - we buy all these nice things at bargain prices without even thinking about how they are so cheap. We can't change the world by not buying these things as there are plenty of other people to buy them but if there is less demand then there could maybe be less people being treated this way? I personally would prefer to pay a bit more for things and know that a bit more was being passed back to the people who made the products. x

Yeah, me too - we buy all these nice things at bargain prices without even thinking about how they are so cheap. We can't change the world by not buying these things as there are plenty of other people to buy them but if there is less demand then there could maybe be less people being treated this way? I personally would prefer to pay a bit more for things and know that a bit more was being passed back to the people who made the products. x

Hi, I see where you are coming from
but..
on the other hand if we withdraw our business from the sweat shops then the poorest of people will go without food and basic things ,

They are earning a mere pittance and the conditions are sometimes very bad , but to them its better than not eating,
these people really need and depend on that money for themselves and their familys very existence,

I think it would cause further hardship for them and their familys if we were to stop buying from them,(whatever the product)

Its annoying when the television make these documentarys without a putting a plan of action in place first
before trying to destroy these poor peoples only hopes of making a living

If the Media are not prepared to help these people in a positive way and set up a fair trades plan before the barge in ,
then they shouldnt barge in ,

Why do that programme in the first place?
and say things like " dont buy from them " which causes even more starvation and poverty?

Why highlight something if they are not prepared to help out :smack:

Bob Geldoff didnt do these things (He had a plan first)

I totally agree with Fair trading
and I think all that money they put into the broadcasting these non help programmes could have been used to set up a fund to start off a fair trading self help plan ,

I read about a Lady coming over here from a small Banana plantation
she herself was representing all the village people who worked hard growing and gathering bananas,
all of the workers in the village were being paid a mere pittance by a giant supermarket over here ,

She was terified for her people that she would lose the contract and go home to them empty handed,
as it was the only income they had,

She was just an ordinary family mum and she was very nervous about meeting the bosses and asking for the basic right to a fair deal,
But she was listened to at a meeting
and all she asked for in her short speech was a fair price for the bananas
they produced so the workers could recieve a fair days pay for a hard days work,
which I am really happy to say she got, :)

Did the television programm say what could happen to the poorest of people If we stop Buying From them ?

I would like think that all products will end up fair trade but I often think about the poorer ones who havent even got to that status as yet,

What can we do to help gain that status for them ?

:hug:

just to let you know the thread is from 2006...:green:

Latest posts

Back