Does anybody own a caravan??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicky's nails

Reaction score
Hey guys

seeing as our summer hols are now cancelled due to Ashleigh's recently diagnosed illness:cry: we have decided to buy a caravan, its something we have been talking about for a while, and now that our priorities have changed, its the time to do it, we wouldnt dare go abroad for a long time now anyway, so to be able to just pop off somewhere, when shes well enough, is perfect for us.

So.... what do i need to know, is there anything i need to look for in particular, we are going to look round some in wales this weekend, (if we can find a local hospital and places to stop and see to Asheigh if neccessary that is lol) i know there are rates, site fees, gas elecy, insurance etc, but is there anything else we need to consider?

what do you normally get in a caravan? things like that
just any advice please
thanks guys xxxx

You won't believe this - but I'm kind of a caravan/motorhome know it all! I spent 15 years running the family caravan business! I know, i'm a sad cow. What do you need to know, basic requirements etc and I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction! And is it a static, towing caravan or motorhome you are looking for. Claire x

Can I but in aswell??

We were fancying hiring a motor home and travelling in the uk towards Devon and cornwall.

Do the costs include staying at the camp sites.?

Why are they so expensive to hire?

Can I but in aswell??

We were fancying hiring a motor home and travelling in the uk towards Devon and cornwall.

Do the costs include staying at the camp sites.?

Why are they so expensive to hire?

Hiya - Motorhomes are quite expensive to hire. You have to remember, that they are generally very new units and a new motorhome nowdays will set you back the best part of £35K! We were selling 6 berth motorhomes for circa £50 plus. They really are luxury units.

The cost doesn't include site costs as they are all different. The idea with a motorhome is that you can pretty much park up where you want to, even at the side of a road etc. If you are looking for sites, I would recommend something called a CL (Certified Location). These are small sites recommended by the Caravan Club. They don't have all the facilities that the bigger sites will have, but they are generally special, quiet and cheaper.

Remember the price you pay will include insurance, collision damage waver etc etc. It may seem expensive, but you may save in the long run as no hotel fees, no food charges unless you want to eat out. Any other questions let me know. Whereabouts are you? I might know someone near you. Claire
:)

, we are going to look round some in wales this weekend, (if we can find a local hospital and places to stop and see to Asheigh if neccessary that is lol)

Whereabouts in Wales are you looking hun. I might not be able to help with the Caravan, but I might be able to help with local knowledge!

You won't believe this - but I'm kind of a caravan/motorhome know it all! I spent 15 years running the family caravan business! I know, i'm a sad cow. What do you need to know, basic requirements etc and I'll see if I can steer you in the right direction! And is it a static, towing caravan or motorhome you are looking for. Claire x

its a static we are thinking off hun, we need 3 bed, fridge, fair bit of space as there will be 6 of us most of the time, and not sure whether we need a brand newie, or if coupple years old will do etc, how much should we expect to pay for ins etc

thanks chick xxx

Whereabouts in Wales are you looking hun. I might not be able to help with the Caravan, but I might be able to help with local knowledge!

well anywhere north wales chick, we are visiting, new pines, talcre beach and ty maw/mar? (sp) so far hopefully

thanks hun xxx

Hi, we have just bought a caravan we pick it up on thursday cant wait.We have always had old ones but now hubby says sod it we having a new one.It look fantastic, it has an end washroom which i would consider with kids,to get dressed/washed down etc in private.They are roomy aswell,the other ones wev had had like a seperate toilet which you cant swing a cat round.But the end washrooms look great for space like a mini bathroom really so i would consider this when you buy aswell,good luck with looking it took us 4mths to pick the perfect van for us.
Happy hunting xx

Aww that changes things thought you meant a tourer,ignor my advice as it wont count for static.Happy hunting still though you will enjoy it xx

Ok, thats near Rhyl, a bit further back towards England than us - we're down near Abersoch (another very nice area with lots of caravan parks, if you fancy a look down here), but your local major hospital up there is Ysbyty Glan Clwyd....(Glan Clwyd hospital) They do have some smaller units that may be closer, but best to contact the, and see where they diabetic support units are.

01745 583910

Conwy & Denbighshire NHS Trust

They have an excellent reputation...and also are a community support unit for Alderhey also so they should be able to help.

If you head further down Wales at all, towards bangor, Anglesey, Caernarvon and iultimately onto the llyn peninsula, near us, the next major hospital is Ysbyty Gwynedd (http://www.northwestwales.org/WiSSCMS-en-308.aspx) again very good, with lots of ciommunity untis to cover wherever you are.

If you want a look down this way at all, let me know, and I will do the ground work for you, let you know the nice sites and get you some web addresses or brochures for them. There are some very nice sites (and some of them rather expensive ones!) down here....but there are some beautiful little gems tucked away aswell!

Hope this helps hun....xxx

My tuppence worth - don't know what price bracket you're looking at, but we bought a new static 7 years ago and I have to say it changed our lives:) For the better, of course:lol:

2 bed, ensuite, central heating, main bathroom, patio, dining room - we ended up living there for 9 months last year whilst our new house was being finished - it was great fun!

Only regret - we didn't do it sooner! Would have been great to have had it while our daughter was young.

Regarding price - they drop in value very quickly - having looked at the market for years now (always have my eye on a new one:wink2:) I would advise you to try for one that is a couple of years old, as long as it has been treated well, you should be able to make quite a saving on new.

Good Luck - get yourself beside some water somewhere, nothing beats it for relaxation!

Well ...
If you will be renting it out ...thats my holiday sorted for the next few years !!! lmao :green:

I've got one, where I disappear to every weekend. I love it!
One thing I would say to watch out for is how long the site owner lets you keep it onsite for. It used to be that if if was 10 years old then you had to get rid of it, but I think more and more are allowing them on for 15 or 20 years. Something to watch out for!
Hope you get a lovely one! xx

Regarding price - they drop in value very quickly - having looked at the market for years now (always have my eye on a new one:wink2:) I would advise you to try for one that is a couple of years old, as long as it has been treated well, you should be able to make quite a saving on new.

Good Luck - get yourself beside some water somewhere, nothing beats it for relaxation!

thanks hun, will look at the price thing, suppose it makes more sense to buy a used one, :hug:

Well ...
If you will be renting it out ...thats my holiday sorted for the next few years !!! lmao :green:

sorry its nto being rented out, im gonna go there every weekend and every holiday and im not telling the family were we are pmsl

Oh and mine lol :green:

well suppose i might make an exception for you two geeks then, pmsl

oohh we could have a geek meet at my caravan lol

I've got one, where I disappear to every weekend. I love it!
One thing I would say to watch out for is how long the site owner lets you keep it onsite for. It used to be that if if was 10 years old then you had to get rid of it, but I think more and more are allowing them on for 15 or 20 years. Something to watch out for!
Hope you get a lovely one! xx

ahh right, thanks hun, will look into that, would not have even thought of it,

now this might sound like stupid question, obviously there are fridge/ freezers but can you have a washer/dryer in one? all im thinking that if we are gonna got there for 6 weeks summer hols etc, using the laundrette is gonna be sooo expensive, does anyone have a washing machine in theirs? and what do i do about the internet ffs lol, can i have sky and phone line hooked up pmsl, not sure i can do this , the more i realise ill have to do without, the more i think i wont cope pmsl, god im so fickle arnt i :lol:

thanks for all your help guys

keep it coming xxxx

thanks hun, will look at the price thing, suppose it makes more sense to buy a used one, :hug:

sorry its nto being rented out, im gonna go there every weekend and every holiday and im not telling the family were we are pmsl

well suppose i might make an exception for you two geeks then, pmsl

oohh we could have a geek meet at my caravan lol

ahh right, thanks hun, will look into that, would not have even thought of it,

now this might sound like stupid question, obviously there are fridge/ freezers but can you have a washer/dryer in one? all im thinking that if we are gonna got there for 6 weeks summer hols etc, using the laundrette is gonna be sooo expensive, does anyone have a washing machine in theirs? and what do i do about the internet ffs lol, can i have sky and phone line hooked up pmsl, not sure i can do this , the more i realise ill have to do without, the more i think i wont cope pmsl, god im so fickle arnt i :lol:

keep it coming xxxx

I was only joking hunnybun :lol:

But I am sure it will be just what you need to get a way and enjoy :hug:

Nicky, I have a 6-berth caravan on the Dorset coast 9 miles this side of Bournemouth on a holiday site. I am retired now and hubby is looking to retire, so we are thinking of selling because we wouldn't be able to finance it on our pensions. (Ria aka Bubbabinks lives near there so she would be able to tell you what the area is like).

We love it but sometimes needs must. Our grown-up children have used it but no-one else, so it has never been rented out although it is an option just to keep it. Probably only people we know (or have got to know) and family. I know it's not where you are looking to buy, but if you are interested just pm me and you can go and have a look at it.

Well ive been taking my two boys off to our static on Anglesey ever since they were babies and they/we absolutley love it....best thing you can do but watch out you dont pay to much...some sites are a bit cheeky.

Before we moved here to Scotland there was a lot of work needed doing and we put a claped out static on site for the builders to use when they worked here...

Well they have long since gone now but the two boy's now 14 and 17 use it all the time..its their space and they have mates up from England and all crash in it..parties and god knows what else :eek:.

its great as we don't mind if they make a mess so were not nagging them all day long to pick this up and dont do that and tidy your room bla bla bla kind of stuff..

They absolutley still love it and would highly reccomend it to get away from it all without the huge expense of holiday packeage deals four times a year which seem to add up into big bucks.

Anyway..happy camping :hug:

it,

keep it coming xxxx

I don't know if you were serious about Sky and t'interweb etc but you can have them in horseboxes (and some of those are more lux than my flat!!) so I'm sure you can in a van! Lx

Hiya - Motorhomes are quite expensive to hire. You have to remember, that they are generally very new units and a new motorhome nowdays will set you back the best part of £35K! We were selling 6 berth motorhomes for circa £50 plus. They really are luxury units.

The cost doesn't include site costs as they are all different. The idea with a motorhome is that you can pretty much park up where you want to, even at the side of a road etc. If you are looking for sites, I would recommend something called a CL (Certified Location). These are small sites recommended by the Caravan Club. They don't have all the facilities that the bigger sites will have, but they are generally special, quiet and cheaper.

Remember the price you pay will include insurance, collision damage waver etc etc. It may seem expensive, but you may save in the long run as no hotel fees, no food charges unless you want to eat out. Any other questions let me know. Whereabouts are you? I might know someone near you. Claire
:)

aw thanks for the reply.

We still might go for the motorhome holiday next year - fancy Devon, Wales or nipping over to France.

Think it would be a great adventure.

Can you really just park them anywhere?:eek:

xx

Latest posts

Back