Does anyone have customers that don't want cuticles cut?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lozenja

Reaction score
Was just wondering... a lot of my friends, prefer not to have cuticles cut just pushed back. They are the newer type of nail client ie Shellac or polish people. I am talking about cutting only the cuticle not the live skin... I do it as that is what they want but it is not as neat looking.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Was just wondering... a lot of my friends, prefer not to have cuticles cut just pushed back. They are the newer type of nail client ie Shellac or polish people. I am talking about cutting only the cuticle not the live skin... I do it as that is what they want but it is not as neat looking.

Why would you cut cuticle? Normally it just will lift off with the proper tools and a good cuticle remover. The only skin I can push back is the eponychium which is living and of course this should never be cut. I occasionally nip away a stubborn little piece of non living cuticle from the nail plate, but I couldn't really cut it away. I wonder if you are getting confused between the eponychium and the cuticle ..... Many many people do, in fact many teachers do not know the difference between the two :lol:

It may not look as neat immediately but after just a day or two using Solar Oil, the skin will shrink back and become tight and will look allot neater than the dead bits that stick up a few days later as the cut eponychium starts to repair itself. Just because you don't draw blood does not mean you have not cut living eponychium.

I don't trust anyone doing mine! I went to the discount nail place and they made 4 of my finger bleed and was very painful for weeks!

When I learnt nail I found out they did everything they shouldn't. But after that I'm very untrusting with anyone touching mine as I've never felt pain like it.

I do my own and that's it lol x

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't trust anyone doing mine! I went to the discount nail place and they made 4 of my finger bleed and was very painful for weeks!

When I learnt nail I found out they did everything they shouldn't. But after that I'm very untrusting with anyone touching mine as I've never felt pain like it.

I do my own and that's it lol x
They were not cutting your cuticle, they were cutting your eponychium.

Last edited by a moderator:
They were not cutting your cuticle, they were cutting your eponychium.

Well it hurt a lot and was sore for days, I'll let people push but not cut lol x

Well it hurt a lot and was sore for days, I'll let people push but not cut lol x
It would hurt and can easily become infected which is why the eponychium should never be cut.

The eponychium will also grow thicker if you regularly cut it.

Even easing the eponychium back should be done minimally ... That skin is one of the seals that protects your nails from injury and infection and they should be tight to the plate.

You can even damage the matrix permanently by aggressively pushing the eponychium back.

Use the word. Get comfortable saying it. Know the difference between eponychium and cuticle. It is professional to use the proper terms.

It would hurt and can easily become infected which is why the eponychium should never be cut.

The eponychium will also grow thicker if you regularly cut it.

Even easing the eponychium back should be done minimally ... That skin is one of the seals that protects your nails from injury and infection and they should be tight to the plate.

You can even damage the matrix permanently by aggressively pushing the eponychium back.

Use the word. Get comfortable saying it. Know the difference between eponychium and cuticle. It is professional to use the proper terms.

hmmm I did learn the correct name for it but was unsure the spelling of it! I will have to access my cuticle rutine but I am very gentle with every client as I have had my eponycium cut before too. I use CND cuticle remover, a cuticle pusher and a curette. Then clean up hang nails with a cuticle trimmer. I might post a photo of myself when doing it next. I believe my trainer was too harsh with the cutters... but my friends dont even want the hang nails trimmed!

Thanks for feedback Geeg.

This is still taught as standard in my local colleges for manicure and enhancements. I have been ticked off during an assessment for not cutting the eponychium but I put my foot down and said no :D

I'm in no way an expert in nails but i do take very good care of my own and i would never use cuticle nippers on anything other than when i had a lot of hang nails through biting. Cuticle remover is definitely the way to go to avoid causing pain and the risk of infection. I found with my nails that as long as the cuticle recieved enough mositure regularly from oils, creams or even vaseline then they would sort themselves out.

but yeah not wanting them cut is wise but unfortunately not common

No need to cut "cuticle." Just remove it. A curette is the perfect tool for that.

I only use the nippers on those stubborn pieces of cuticle that I just can't get any other way.

Last edited:
In my college, I was also taught to cut the "cuticle". Lots of teachers don't know the difference. I have been to few salons where the nail technician asked if I want my cuticles cut.
I learnt from here what the real cuticle is. For things like this I am grateful this site exists!

Same ive always been taught to cut the cuticle

If I get a client with really terribly overgrown eponychiums (usually nail biters) I always explain the difference between cuticle and eponychium, the reasons why I won't cut it and advise regular use of cuticle oil and a regular manicure to get them in better condition. 9 times out of 10 they'll say they've been to an NSS salon and now it all makes sense, why they've been bleeding and sore after a treatment there. They respect me for telling them why their 'cuticles' (as that's the term clients more often than not use meaning their eponychium) won't necessarily look as perfect after their first treatment as they'd expected but always book back in :)

I never cut unless its a hang nail. I can't believe its still being taught and Ive often wondered if it is covered by insurance, I thought not ? Therapists are not allowed to use a blade in pedicures to remove hard skin yet they can be let loose with nippers on the cuticle area and cause all sorts of problems for the client.

Interesting to read this thread as I've just had a shellac client and the eponychium on each nail was so overgrown - i've never seen anything as bad. She kept asking me why I wasn't cutting it all off as the last place she went to used did!! I've told her to use the solar oil twice a day and she'd see a difference.

The only problem was her shellac already looked like she had some growth after I applied shellac but she was pleased with the result and booked in again. I'm looking forward to seeing the difference regular solar oil has.

i was taught to "clip the "cuticle" after it had ben pushed back"
now im confused and very worried as to what i have been clipping incase ive been doing damage!! help please ladies! xxx has anyone got pictuers of what we shoud or shouldnt be clipping? cant beleive i paid to be taught incorrectly! xxx

i was taught to "clip the "cuticle" after it had ben pushed back"
now im confused and very worried as to what i have been clipping incase ive been doing damage!! help please ladies! xxx has anyone got pictuers of what we shoud or shouldnt be clipping? cant beleive i paid to be taught incorrectly! xxx

Clear tissue is living tissue. White flakey tissue is non-living. There's a great video by Holly somewhere, I'll see if I can find it.

I was also taught to cut the eponychium being told that it was "cuticle" and needed to be cut away to make the manicure look neat and tidy.

I never liked doing it, terrified me in fact, so I am so grateful to this site for once again teaching me the CORRECT ways of doing things! And now I don't need to use those awful nippers unless absolutely necessary for any little stubborn bits that won't come off as others have described.

It's due to cuticle nippers being used on me as to why I've not had a pedicure for years, as every time I had one, they would use the nippers on me and cut my toes!! I have such teeny tiny toes and despite asking for them to NOT use them on me, I was told it was necessary and I would be cut every single time, then the immediate spray of antiseptic to stop the bleeding and I nearly went through the roof with the pain!! Put me off for life!

It's awful that this method is still being taught and used in colleges. So grateful for the correct information on here :hug:

That is shocking! I am disgusted that someone would do that to you. Hopefully you didn't go there too often!

Those of you that are saying you were taught to "cut the cuticle" when training, were you never shown a diagram of the nail and taught what everything is? Surely that's one of the first things you learn?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

That is shocking! I am disgusted that someone would do that to you. Hopefully you didn't go there too often!

Those of you that are saying you were taught to "cut the cuticle" when training, were you never shown a diagram of the nail and taught what everything is? Surely that's one of the first things you learn?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using SalonGeek

I went there 3 times, each time a different therapist, each time cut!! Never went back there or anywhere else again! I do it myself now :)

And I don't think people are saying they don't know what the eponychium is, just that we were taught it was ok to cut it. Thankfully, we all now know (or will do after reading this for those who don't know) that it is NOT ok to cut it :wink2:

Latest posts

Back