Does anyone wear a mask whilst spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carron

Reaction score
Hi

Just wondering if anyone uses a mask whilst tanning?

I've had lung problems for the last few years ranging from whooping cough, bronchitis and chest infections and the doctors are still doing ongoing tests to try and get to the bottom of it

as i've mentioned on salongeek i've just started up this week and done 3 tans (all on different days) and a few practice ones on my boyfriend. my room is well ventilated but i'm coughing a lot.

theres a lot of colds and sore throats going around so i don't know if its that or just a coincidence that its happened the same week as my tans.

i think i'm going to have to wear a mask but don't want my clients thinking that the spray is bad if i'm covering up

I think you should be telling them what is the truth.Spray tan is fine on skin but not for inhalation and on mucus membranes which is why you are wearing a mask,they ideally should be wearing sniffits ,their lips should have barrier cream on and you should also really have an extractor fan.Spray tan is going to be safe for all of us long term as users and operators providing certain precautions are taken.
Its the same as wearing goggles on sunbeds,gloves when waxing,being careful when doing enhancements with minimising vapours and skin contact and many of the other things we have to be aware of in our jobs.
Spraytan is a chemical at the end of the day and what chemical is ever any good to breathe in over a period of time.

Hi

I've had lung problems for the last few years ranging from whooping cough, bronchitis and chest infections and the doctors are still doing ongoing tests to try and get to the bottom of it

as i've mentioned on salongeek i've just started up this week and done 3 tans (all on different days) and a few practice ones on my boyfriend. my room is well ventilated but i'm coughing a lot.

theres a lot of colds and sore throats going around so i don't know if its that or just a coincidence that its happened the same week as my tans.

i think i'm going to have to wear a mask but don't want my clients thinking that the spray is bad if i'm covering up

I do not wear a mask but i have been spraying for years so i hardly cause any overspray,
but if i was doing a spray tan party then i would as that would create more in the surrounding air,
with your health history i would definitely wear a mask just to be on the safe side,
just explain that it is safe but as you are having ongoing tests your airing on the side of caution as you are exposed to it far more than them while having one spray tan,
you can always offer your clients sniffits, small tubes of foam that they insert into their nostrils, hth :hug:

As techs does anyone offer sniffits.If not should you be and if they say they dont want to use them should you mark it down on the consultation card that they sign.I have been doing this for a while although no one wants to use them and obviously you cant make them, but at least i have a record that they were offered advised and then refused.I dont want to be accused of causing someone any breathing probs.
In fact Collin at tantrick i feel has been very responsible in what he has advised in the past on here which is safe working practice i dont think many companies emphasise it enough if at all.
Think of what has happened in the nail industry with over exposure and if we work safely now this will not happen to the tanning industry.

Last edited:
I wear a mask and no-one has questioned me as yet, I do offer one to my clients but I've never had any takers!!! :eek:

In your case I would most certainly wear a mask, I was fine until I had a chest infection last year, and I would say it made it worse. With ongoing respiritory problems please take good care.

I think that's an excellent point in offering clients the options of nose plugs. I haven't done this to date but I will from now on, and yes I think we should be noting on the consultation cards.

Just explain to them why your wearing a mask they'll appreciate it more if you give them the truth and if there still not convinced offer them one LOL apart from when your doing there face,,lol.

I went to a nail bar they were all wearing masks and was my first time having extensions done i was a bit like ugh what's going on am i going to be ok as the fumes were so strong.

Anyway turns out the products they use are illegal that's y they were wearing them.

So much for health and safety in the work place eh.

It is advisable to wear a mask whenever you can and to offer one to your customer (alternatively sniffits)

Particularly for those of us who may have general respiratory complications and generally speaking for the rest of us whilst there are no known dangers of solution inhalation we are after all not fish and prefer dry lungs to function properly as a species.:hug:

Adequate extraction in and around the working area is highly recommended as an essential piece of equipment.

Asides the fact that you are making this treatment more comfortable for both your customer and yourself the use of all these things can only demonstrate to your customer that you are approaching this treatment in a truly professional manner.

With your history of lung problems then it is best to err on the side of caution and wear a mask.
Just tell them that you have breathing problems and you do so many tans that it is for your benefit.
I don't personaly wear a mask but i don't think that many people would ask.
Never heard of sniffits so am off to look those up now!

My technique was certainly better after getting valuable feedback from this web site. However, when I spray a client I do not see a stripe I spray down the body? I use 8.5 so it isn't really dark (Sienna).

Should there be a stripes as I spray???

Hi

If you are not seeing stripes then i would think your gun is still too high. When your gun is too high then it is spraying all over the place and you probably wouldn't see the stripes.
Don't turn the gun up just because the guide colour is not so dark.
Do as suggested on here before and turn your gun down a quarter turn at a time.
I didn't see stripes to start with but now i do.
You'll get there in the end x

hi

thanks for all your advice.

i'm definatley going to start wearing a mask until the doctors get to the bottom of my problems. especially since its only been 3 tans over the week so theres not been much overspray in the room when i've been doing it

i'm not feeling quite right today and i dont think its the sore throat that seems to be going round.

this happens to me if i go into a house that someone smokes or is very dusty.

hi

thanks for all your advice.

i'm definatley going to start wearing a mask until the doctors get to the bottom of my problems. especially since its only been 3 tans over the week so theres not been much overspray in the room when i've been doing it

i'm not feeling quite right today and i dont think its the sore throat that seems to be going round.

this happens to me if i go into a house that someone smokes or is very dusty.

It could be that you have developed allergies. Just a thought. I have never suffered in the past and then last year I had hayfever for the first time. The doctor told me that you can develop allergies at any time and sure enough this year hayfever came back as the pollon count raised. If I was you I would mention your symptoms to the doctor and say you dont think its whats going round at the moment. My doctor told me to write a diary of when and how bad the symptoms were, you could also add what you think could've caused it as in dusty room, smoky atmosphere etc. hth's

Hope you're feeling better soon :hug:

anne xx

Latest posts

Back