Does Polish Work Under Gel???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Some say it does some say it doesnt.

Well curiosity has got the better of me and today i have tried it out so i'll let you know !

I had a natural nail overlay on (a calgel base and top but a bio colour in between) and they needed infilling so i filed them down and painted them in Creative Nail Noir.

I was just going to leave it like that but decided to put 2 x coats of clear calgel over the top.

I did it yesterday so lets see how long it lasts!

Amb x

I tried it with l+p and failed miserably,so I'm interested to know how it goes x

I tried it with gel a few years ago and the gel chipped off leaving the polish still half set underneath, not tried it since so am interested to know if you succeed.

Some say it does some say it doesnt.

Well curiosity has got the better of me and today i have tried it out so i'll let you know !

I had a natural nail overlay on (a calgel base and top but a bio colour in between) and they needed infilling so i filed them down and painted them in Creative Nail Noir.

I was just going to leave it like that but decided to put 2 x coats of clear calgel over the top.

I did it yesterday so lets see how long it lasts!

Amb x

Just out of curiosity Amb, how long did you leave the enamel to dry before you put the gel on?

Just out of curiosity Amb, how long did you leave the enamel to dry before you put the gel on?

about 5 mins.

I wasnt going to put the gel over the top but the pot was there staring at me and i know a few geeks have said it does work.

I thought calgel would be a good one to try it with as its more flexy than some of the other gels i've got.

Amb x

Didn't work for me unfortuntatly, I got in a real mess with it too LOL, it will be interesting to see how it works for you. I tried it at Christmas obviously on myself. I used Sticky Base coat, 2 thin coats of Chanel Rouge Noir polish, waited for half hour to let polish have a good dry, then Brisa, when I wiped off with scrubfresh, half of the gel hadn't set, half of the polish came off.....nightmare!

It depends what gel top coat you use, for example NAilorder seal it in, does work, this has replaced nailorders powerseal which also worked amazing!

I have used it for years now to protect my enamel and also clients enamel!

Amanda

youve got to remember that in order for polish to dry, the 'wet' chemicals need to evaporate off it. (as far as im aware, correct me if im wrong). So by sealing it in with gel, your stopping these chemicals from evaporating. and although you will have a 'crispy shell' of gel (lol) the polish will most likely still be mushy underneath..

i think...

lol.

Didn't work for me unfortuntatly, I got in a real mess with it too LOL, it will be interesting to see how it works for you. I tried it at Christmas obviously on myself. I used Sticky Base coat, 2 thin coats of Chanel Rouge Noir polish, waited for half hour to let polish have a good dry, then Brisa, when I wiped off with scrubfresh, half of the gel hadn't set, half of the polish came off.....nightmare!
Guess you would have needed to put of coat of gel then two coats of polish before a finishing gloss, not base coat.

I shall watch this with great interest Amber. If it works I am guessing it is because you have used a gel as your base ie. you have created a firm foundation. Anything with a firm foundation is likely to do well. Don't know about your top layer though?

Looking forward to the results.:)

Well when i have applied my enamel and then gel top coat i do leave it a few minutes before applying the gel, but in all the yrs i have used it i have never had one problem at all, the enamel underneath always seems to dry!

I guess its like all these sprays, quick dry top coats and oils then that make it touch dry but the enamel underneath would still be wet?????????????

Amanda

I am guessing it is because you have used a gel as your base ie. you have created a firm foundation. Anything with a firm foundation is likely to do well. Don't know about your top layer though?

Looking forward to the results.:)

yep your right i had a gel base to begin with.

The polish was 'touch dry' when i applied the first coat of clear gel. Just to be safe i applied a second layer of clear.

Wouldnt mind trying the Nail order stuff - thanks for the info Lily.

AMb xx

yep your right i had a gel base to begin with.

The polish was 'touch dry' when i applied the first coat of clear gel. Just to be safe i applied a second layer of clear.

Wouldnt mind trying the Nail order stuff - thanks for the info Lily.

AMb xx

No probs Amber, i swear by it!!!!!!!!

Amanda

Well when i have applied my enamel and then gel top coat i do leave it a few minutes before applying the gel, but in all the yrs i have used it i have never had one problem at all, the enamel underneath always seems to dry!

I guess its like all these sprays, quick dry top coats and oils then that make it touch dry but the enamel underneath would still be wet?????????????

Amanda

maybe It would make a difference if the gel has a tacky, residual layer or not?? dunno how! lol.

but surely gel and polish are different things!! They would have different chemisty. UV top coat is designed to use with polish that is still wet, UV gel gloss is for gel that has been cured. specific products for specific uses.

:irked:

When I do a nailart with polish, stripers or paint, I always seal it of with a topgel. It works for me. As long as the sart is dry before you put your topgel on.

I never tried it with a one colour polish, only with nail art.

Minette

When I do a nailart with polish, stripers or paint, I always seal it of with a topgel. It works for me. As long as the sart is dry before you put your topgel on.

I never tried it with a one colour polish, only with nail art.

Minette

I do it with nail art too (only on enhancements, I buff, do the nail art, then gel seal), but it dries alot quicker and isnt as thick as 2 coats of polish!!

Hi Kate what is gel seal

Jill

It's worked for me but I use nsi balance gel this is how I do it
prep
sculpt clear free edge
build apex up
buff
apply polish put in dryer
one thin coat of gel cap free edge
cure
another thin coat of gel cap
cure
wipe
buff
glaze n go to finish
solar oil
here is one I did for my friend new years eve she still has them on and they are still as good as what they was when I first did them http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/rach269/closeupvoodoo.jpg

I used voodoo & opi holographic top coat
hope this all makes sense :hug:

It's worked for me but I use nsi balance gel this is how I do it
prep
sculpt clear free edge
build apex up
buff
apply polish put in dryer
one thin coat of gel cap free edge
cure
another thin coat of gel cap
cure
wipe
buff
glaze n go to finish
solar oil
here is one I did for my friend new years eve she still has them on and they are still as good as what they was when I first did them http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/rach269/closeupvoodoo.jpg

I used voodoo & opi holographic top coat
hope this all makes sense :hug:

That nail is gorgeous Honey xx

Latest posts

Back