Does Polish Work Under Gel???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Funny you should post this i tried it on myself 2 weeks ago and they are fine. I had natural tips on when i rebalanced them i used a cnd enamel 2 thin coats then used bio sealer gel on top.

What i found was the on the nails i hadn't let dry quite enough after a day or to the gel 'puckered' but the rest were fine. So i would say yes if your patient and let the polish dry it does work.

Hi Kate what is gel seal

Jill

I use intense seal by IBD, but by gel seal i just mean the shiney glass like gel top coat you use after you have buffed the overlay.

I have done MANY funky french's using nail polish sealed in gel.

My method is like follows.

Prep and file as needed.
Apply one layer of regular builder or self-levelling gel.
Full cure.
Wipe and file, no less than 180
Apply polish.
Make sure it is COMPLETELY 100% DRY.
Apply next layer of regular builder or self levelling gel.
Cure
Finish nail with gloss as usualy.

Hth's :hug:

PS: this is sealed in gel and it's all polish & water-based acrylic paints.
SherriBlkFrenchWhtBlueorchid.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Yes, the nail art is before the builder gel and gloss, and therefor protected by the gel. That particular client ALWAYS gets it sealed in gel, to protect it. She goes 4wks between fills (never lifts and a 'slow-grower'), so likes the polish/art to stay without any rubbing-away, if you know what I mean?

hth's

:hug:

amber, i was told if you let the polish dry totally, like for 24 hours then it should work.

i tried it after letting polish dry for about 1 hour and gel peeled off.

Yes you can do this, but only if the polish is totally dry, otherwise the heat in the UV lamp can make it crack! I would recommend you put on the gel the day after your polish, to make sure. And yes, you do need to buff it off!:)

Well - sounds like that doing polish in between layers of gel is the answer as VHunter seems to cope fine with this on her clients.

Yes you can do this, but only if the polish is totally dry, otherwise the heat in the UV lamp can make it crack! I would recommend you put on the gel the day after your polish, to make sure. And yes, you do need to buff it off!:)

I have never waited over night or whatever.

I guess it would depend on the brand of gel. I have done this with Forze and with Nailite. ZERO problems.
Although, the polish does't matter, as I've done this with several brands, some as cheap at 0.99c a bottle.

hth's

Guess you would have needed to put of coat of gel then two coats of polish before a finishing gloss, not base coat.

Thanks Jac, I'll do that next time, I thought that afterwards that I should have tried a base layer of gel, and not sticky, but by the time I got all the polish off I was losing the will to live LOL! By which time I would have given anyone anything to have done my nails for me.

Just to add, near on one week on and still on as good as new !

amb x

ya gotta luv an experiment:)

I've been watching this thread with interest.

I've tried it on myself, but used Bio sgel for the top coat. Went to remove the sticky later......lost the lot, enamel and all.:irked:

Will try again with Bio sealer:idea:

strange.....i always put the polish on top of the gel with a top coat, which works beautifully....

sandy x:hug:

Latest posts

Back