Dog food

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Tibbie and they have quite a sensitive system. I cook for him, he gets a mixture, usually lean minced beef, veal or turkey with vegetables, sometimes oats, rice or pasta added. He also gets liver about once a month and white fish every once in a while.

I give him a small amount of biscuits alma nature, they are organic and without horrible things added, I think some crunch is good for them, for their teeth aswell as the added vitamins and minerals.

I cook for him once a week and then freeze it in portions, it actually works out cheaper and I have a happy, healthy little dog.. albeit a bit spoilt!

Interesting thread. I've spent some time researching dog foods.

I wanted the best for the dog and thankfully there are several excellent brands out there. You just have to choose one.

Ultimately the best is a BARF diet but our lifestyle and freezer capacity couldn't handle it (perhaps once we buy our house this will change).

In the end we went for Lily's Kitchen. No fillers, no meat derivatives. Safe & Healthy Food.

Other safe brands as far as my research showed where Orijin, Fish for dogs & barking heads.

Royal Canin, Wellbeloved, Science Plan, Eukanuba, Iams, pedigree chum, Bakers or pretty much anything you can buy at the supermarket is full of rubbish.

Treats - lilys kitchen, bulls pizzles (pet supermarket) and anything else our dog walking friends slip him when we are out. Stag bars have the potential to break dogs teeth therefore I choose not to use.

Good Luck and Congratulations. You'll have lots of fun.

Pauline x

We've fed our lab good old Chappie with half a cup of mixer almost all his life. He is now 11 and going strong (apart from his eyesight but that's nothing to do with his diet!!).

Contrary to popular belief, labs have very sensitive stomachs and we've found Chappie keeps his stomach settled the best (unless he eats something out whilst walking eugh!!!). It's not expensive and recommended by vets.

We've fed our lab good old Chappie with half a cup of mixer almost all his life. He is now 11 and going strong (apart from his eyesight but that's nothing to do with his diet!!).

Contrary to popular belief, labs have very sensitive stomachs and we've found Chappie keeps his stomach settled the best (unless he eats something out whilst walking eugh!!!). It's not expensive and recommended by vets.

It's one of the worst foods you can feed :( x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

It's one of the worst foods you can feed :( x

Not according to a) Our Vet and b) my dog!!!!

My in laws dog has never eaten dog food, always cat food, vet said it was fine when he was a puppy, he is now 18 years old and not once in 18 years has he had any health problems or needed to go to the vets, he would never and still won't touch dog food, weird!

One of my dogs completely refused to eat Chappie, and our dog that passed this year who usually practically inhaled any food in front of her took her time with it haha.
But we don't have a choice what to give our two woofs now as they get runny bums at the slightest change of food :/ x
(Brie our Pyrenean bitch has always been a bit sensitive tummy-wise, but Mr Darcy our male Leonberger was fine until he got bloat at 11months old and has been delicate since then...)

Not according to a) Our Vet and b) my dog!!!!

Vets aren't nutritionalists, the only food they get taught about is what they'll be selling.
Barf and raw is the best you can feed yet they think it's the worst thing ever.

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0175/chappie-adult-complete

The fact that there's just 4% meat is worrying and even then it's listed as derivatives which could be anything from beak, feet to animal fat.

Please don't think I'm being preachy, but when I had my pup and was researching food I was shocked at the crap they sold even in pets at home, so I always like to share the facts xx

Last edited:
I feed my westie with the Lily's kitchen dried grain free food and she gets a hide chew with a dollop of doggie toothpaste on it every morning!

A Pyrenean and a Leonberger?! *JEALOUS!*

I feel my border collie BARF/Raw diet because he has a strong intolerance to chicken. Even feeding "hypoallergenic" diets meant that as soon as a well-meaning walker or shop assistant gave him a treat he was ill for days :(

BARF works for us :) but I get a LOT of stick for it, because it's "dangerous" - he could perforate a bowel or choke, or the best one, he could "turn" and suddenly start savaging children because he "has a taste for meat".... :smack:

Vets aren't nutritionalists, the only food they get taught about is what they'll be selling.
Barf and raw is the best you can feed yet they think it's the worst thing ever.

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-reviews/0175/chappie-adult-complete

The fact that there's just 4% meat is worrying and even then it's listed as derivatives which could be anything from beak, feet to animal fat.

Please don't think I'm being preachy, but when I had my pup and was researching food I was shocked at the crap they sold even in pets at home, so I always like to share the facts xx

It's a damn sight better than the horse poo he wolfs down on his walk every morning !!!!!

Herbivore faeces is good for carnivores ;) The herbivore's digestive system breaks down the plant material into a state that the carnivore can get some goodness out of it.

Rabbits eat their droppings to make sure they got everything they could out of their food - the second time around is easier to digest. The dogs are doing the same thing

(Or it was a funny and I need to check out of "zookeeper mode"... :o)

I too feed BARF to my Great Danes. Chicken wings/ carcuss's necks..rib of beef, breast of lamb, tripe etc etc. all mine comes from my local butcher at 59 p a pound. No skin conditions and chihuahua sized poo lol xx. Great teeth, no smelly breath, no anal gland problems and I know exactly what they are getting :)

Herbivore faeces is good for carnivores ;) The herbivore's digestive system breaks down the plant material into a state that the carnivore can get some goodness out of it.

Rabbits eat their droppings to make sure they got everything they could out of their food - the second time around is easier to digest. The dogs are doing the same thing

That's interesting mine eats rabbit poo.She also quite likes her own at certain times usually likes the morning one if I don't follow her out and pick it up before she gets a chance to turn around.Why is that.I know puppies can learn it from their mums but she is 3 now.

Wow didn't expect such a strong thread it has given me a lot to think about!

Thank you

Excellent I'll leave him to it then!!! OP take note - you could save a fortune on fancy dog food 😄😄

Most important thing to remember is to keep it simple, a dogs (or any animal really) diet is naturally simple so don't mix this and that with this supplement & god knows what else. Try & make it as plain & balanced as possible, it might take some trial and error but you'll find out along the way which types of food affects their behaviour and condition be it positive or negative. A lot of dog owners these days don't feed much fibre so keep that in mind, it's essential :)

If it works and your dog is happy on it I figure it's all good. Some dogs are more sensitive. Trust me to pick a breed that is notorious for being a delicate so and so :-D

Interesting thread. I've spent some time researching dog foods.

I wanted the best for the dog and thankfully there are several excellent brands out there. You just have to choose one.

Ultimately the best is a BARF diet but our lifestyle and freezer capacity couldn't handle it (perhaps once we buy our house this will change).

In the end we went for Lily's Kitchen. No fillers, no meat derivatives. Safe & Healthy Food.

Other safe brands as far as my research showed where Orijin, Fish for dogs & barking heads.

Royal Canin, Wellbeloved, Science Plan, Eukanuba, Iams, pedigree chum, Bakers or pretty much anything you can buy at the supermarket is full of rubbish.

Treats - lilys kitchen, bulls pizzles (pet supermarket) and anything else our dog walking friends slip him when we are out. Stag bars have the potential to break dogs teeth therefore I choose not to use.

Good Luck and Congratulations. You'll have lots of fun.

Pauline x

What kind of rubbish is in James wellbeloved? I've always been told it's good as it is wheat, dairy, soya free, no beef etc

Excellent I'll leave him to it then!!! OP take note - you could save a fortune on fancy dog food 😄😄

No thanks, bad enough watching him lick himself

Latest posts

Back