Doug Schoon speaks out

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spent years having enhancements done on my own nails. I've had (from these enhancements) fungal infections, damaged/cut/filed eponychiums, paper thin nails, pain and generally unpleasant experiences. It wasn't until I myself decided to train in enhancements and went to CND that I appreciated how I should NOT have experienced any of the afore mentioned things.

Until licensing is introduced, and "spot checks", it is up to us to make the difference. We need to educate ourselves first, and then we can educate clients. Yes we need to buff the surface of the nail for certain enhancements, but this can cause minimal damage with the right training and experience. Thankfully, when I have overfiled when I was first training, it was on me!!

This is a great thread, but because of the title it will only appeal to those interested in what Doug or Gigi have to say. Change it to something like "Best Linear Holo Glitter" and a few more might sneak a peak ;) xx

Lol, but How right you probably are! :(

As to licensing and spot checks for skill standards? ... It is never going to happen, we know that. That is why we need better training standards, better trainers, more concern and focus on this issue in traing and ... Products that don't require buffing in the first place (what a novel approach)!!

Licensing has never worked in the States to provide a standard of skill so I doubt it would anywhere else. It is concerned companies along with concerned trainers and mentors and places like Salongeek.com that help people get to a good standard ... And then, only if the technicians are interested in learning.

[/B]

Lol, but How right you probably are! :(

As to licensing and spot checks for skill standards? ... It is never going to happen, we know that. That is why we need better training standards, better trainers, more concern and focus on this issue in traing and ... Products that don't require buffing in the first place (what a novel approach)!!

Licensing has never worked in the States to provide a standard of skill so I doubt it would anywhere else. It is concerned companies along with concerned trainers and mentors and places like Salongeek.com that help people get to a good standard ... And then, only if the technicians are interested in learning.
I agree, especially since some states are now moving to deregulate the industry!

Sending to the top.

I think some of the responsibility for lack of training should be shouldered by the seemingly endless amount of gel polish manufacturers and suppliers who sell to anybody whether they are qualified ior not. These companies appear to constantly be advertising how easy it is to earn loads of money doing nails with their super duper products/groupon/supermarket deals.

I honestly believe some people out there don't realise that they ought to have training or insurance to perform treatments and use products on the general public.

Thanks for the really interesting thread. As an inexperienced nail tech I am learning so much from all the education offered here! Have fanatically checked out all my buffers and files this evening and have even thrown away ones that are patently too harsh for the natural nail.

And for the record, I know where the stickies are:lol:

Thanks for the really interesting thread. As an inexperienced nail tech I am learning so much from all the education offered here! Have fanatically checked out all my buffers and files this evening and have even thrown away ones that are patently too harsh for the natural nail.

And for the record, I know where the stickies are:lol:

Great start!!x

Just posting to bump this up x

I spent years having enhancements done on my own nails. I've had (from these enhancements) fungal infections, damaged/cut/filed eponychiums, paper thin nails, pain and generally unpleasant experiences. It wasn't until I myself decided to train in enhancements and went to CND that I appreciated how I should NOT have experienced any of the afore mentioned things.

Until licensing is introduced, and "spot checks", it is up to us to make the difference. We need to educate ourselves first, and then we can educate clients. Yes we need to buff the surface of the nail for certain enhancements, but this can cause minimal damage with the right training and experience. Thankfully, when I have overfiled when I was first training, it was on me!!

This is a great thread, but because of the title it will only appeal to those interested in what Doug or Gigi have to say. Change it to something like "Best Linear Holo Glitter" and a few more might sneak a peak ;) xx

Best Holo glitter ooh ooh where can i get some!!!:D

(I jest lol)

I've been following this thread, but haven't commented yet.

As far as I am aware I have never over buffed/damaged a paying clients nails but sadly I did it during my training to my own and families nails though :( - I am still pretty new to the industry, I've been self employed for 1 year now.

Some of my clients came to me from other techs with awful thin, weak nails, and are always amazed when I don't touch their nail surface with an efile/buffer/file/sandpaper lol. But once good old solar oil is introduced they are hooked and delighted with the results even after their first treatment!

They have all been used to having their nails 'roughed up' at local 'reputable' salons in the past. It's quite worrying that salons with such a good reputation for their other services can be doing this....however it totally highlights how important refresher training is. I read here almost daily for posts from the dinosaurs, who better to learn from?

I have 2 pots for mine, one which contains my rougher abrasives 100-180 are kept in my L&P drawer and they are only used for reducing bulk etc.
All my natural nail care ones are 220-280 grit. And they are only used for shaping the natural nail. That's the way I was taught

Brilliant thread.

I friended Doug Schoon on face book and he took the time to personally reply to me with tips and advice...I was flattered - another great person working in our industry

I have just sat and read through the whole of this thread and had to comment on what a fab thread it is and I wanted to bump it up too! I've learned so much more on SG than I ever did at college, keep up the good work, I don't always comment, but i'm always reading :)

I love Doug Schoon and regularly read and re-read his books , his FB posts and any posts on here that mention his name and just love the fact that you can subscribe to his email and get to enjoy the brain for FREE!!!!! C'mon now what's your excuse for not taking advantage??

Likewise so do I where the likes of Gigi,Mum, Izzidoll and the other 'dinosaurs' are involved , for this I'm thankful evolution has kept these particular Dino's Alive and well and truly kicking!!

I am constantly looking to learn , grow and improve in order that I give the best service I can to my clients and if that means re-evaluating my methods and attitudes then I do!

Thank you all!
X

Great thread, acrylic, shellac, gel, rockstar, brisa, brisa lite, CND. Dinosaurs forever. Bump bump bump. Should be kept up there for any nail tech, budding or not, to have this great advice

Latest posts

Back