Education... what did you do in the beginning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Education, what did you do in the beginning?

• Untrained

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 1 or 2 day course

Votes: 67 14.0%
  • college course

Votes: 195 40.6%
  • 4 day or more course

Votes: 194 40.4%

• Total voters
I did a 2 week course with a Creative Based Nail and Beauty Academy. This covered mostly Acrylic Application with some Mani, Pedi and Nail Art included. I also have done a short course in Electric Nail Drills, both completed successfully with certificates.

I attend heaps of demonstration days and have kept in constant (and I mean constant) touch with my educator who continues to help as much as she can, even over the phone.

I really feel that the 3 years Ive been going flat out in my own business has been the best education I could have, only thing is, I dont get certificates for that.

I chose the City & Guilds route as that was the initial option open to me and my lifestyle and passed my final exams for Manicure level 2 on the 7th of this month. I am a few weeks into doing the level 3 City & Guilds Applying Artificial Nails.
Taking this route is working for me so far- they are not 2 day courses as they run for approximately 6 months each so do manage to cover alot about hygiene, anatomy, legislations etc. The class environment is mainly for practise and guidance, then we have tons of work set to do at home.
I have read on here about many other training methods and courses which I hope to do in the future to build on my basic knowledge, doors which would not have opened to me otherwise, and I am looking forward to visiting ExCel next month to see what happens in the 'real world' of the nail and beauty industry.
Regardless of the foundations of our training it has become obvious to me that more training and updating is required of all of us during our careers, whether we are beginners or professionals.

I did mani and pedi at college in 1988 whilst hairdressing, did a four day star nails course in october 2002, star nails nail art 2004, Essential nail l&p in 2004, converted to Brisa with creative Dec 2004, converted to Creative l&P last year planning on doing fabric and updating my knowledge for natural nails this year.

Nail FX said:
Well I was 'almost' booked onto a 2 day enhancement course in Manchester, a company that has been discussed on here in the past. I decided to run it by a friend of mine who has been in the nail industry for 20 years and she advised me to stay clear of this 2 day training. She felt the company to go with was Creative, and suggested I do a search in Google. I did and I came accross this site. Yeehah! :Love:

After reading many posts on the various companies and training I sent off for more info from a few of them and then decided to do the Creative Foundation in L&P. Now I am hooked on the whole education malarki... I cannot get enough :) :biggrin:

I think that this training you are referring to is the first one that I did in Manchester for 2 days...it was crap, a complete waste of money!!! Then converted to CND L & P, Brisa and Spa Mani & Pediand by the end of this month will have converted to Fabric# too.

i did a 2 day course but she only gave out the certificate if she thought you were good enough. on my last day she had a girl in doing her 8th set of nails (i did 4 sets) and she started 3 months prior to me but she just wasnt getting the hang of it. not boasting myself up here but i did do gel nails before and i am quite thorough havent done too bad and im doing a conversion course in the summer with nsi.

angela

I did a 5 day acrylic course with NSI!! But it was spread over 4-5 weeks roughly so that we could revise & practice before the theory & practical exam & get our portfolio together. So 2 days in, 2weeks out, 2 days in, 4th being theory exam in morning & if you passed the theory then you went on 2 weeks later to do the practical exam on the 5th day. Couldn't fault them & they were very through!!! Wouldn't pass you if you weren't good enough!!

I started with a 6 month evening NVQ course in manicures and pedicures. I then go a job at my local Creative Academy were they trained me in acrylics.

I had a very lucky start, with some lovely girls in aberdeen who showed me the 'tricks'. How to perfect a nail - 'Thank you Kelly O'Toole'.

I then completed my masters qualification and I now rent a space in a tanning salon. I love working for myself, the best thing I ever did.

I'm now looking to complete my NVQ in nail enhancements. That's my next goal.

Education is a MUST.... at least once a year, if not more. I just need more hours in a day and more days in the week to fit it in!!!!!

I voted 4 day course, but i had already had taster with the home EN homelearn course. When i did the 4 day foundation course i gained a certificate but like you Sandi was no where near a professional. It was this site that i have learned so much from and of course more training.

I went straight in for the Creative Foundation Course, and then 2 further CND courses/classes a few months after the foundation course.

Having worn nails for 15 years, I knew about some of the products and who the market leaders were...
also having worn them for so long, I was quite good at filing etc myself which helped overall on the course..
Education is a major part in the learning curve, for improving, correcting bad habits, and learning new stuff, and its also great to get to know other nail techs on the courses for discussions on nail things, and also seeing how others work...

I started off with the NSI 4 day course last July, I'm converting to Creative at end of July as I feel I need that little bit more!! Although some people who have trained with NSI were taught how to blend a tip....I never was so it seemed the training varied from person to person.

I have done Manicure and Pedicure training as part of my NVQ level 2 Beauty Training over 1 year at college.

However, at my colege they dont believe that beauty therapists should be recommending nail enhancements to clients and should be encouraging them to treat their natural nails with regular manicures.

this isnt something I agree with as I believe that the lifestyle that we live now does enclourage us to have totally nice natural nails. I therefore am doing the essential nails home study course, but I feel that I also need to have direct tuition and an therefore saving up to do the creative nails training.

Theresa

i see that so many of you trained in different ways and different products.....what do you think is best after completing a college course, work for someone?, or self employed?. :Love:

very interesting thread will look out for more replies.i did training for 3 months.but do refresher courses whenever there is any.

[email protected]
Nails At Last

tinkerbelletips said:
i see that so many of you trained in different ways and different products.....what do you think is best after completing a college course, work for someone?, or self employed?. :Love:
if you want experience that allows you to 'bounce off' other nail techs then being employed in a salon would be the best option (IMO), some techs decide to jump in feet first and go for a salon of their own, it all depends on how competent you are and how good your nails are when you've done your training, some people are naturally gifted when it comes to nail enhancements and pick it up really quickly, others need a little bit more time to master their skills and increase their confidence...
it's all down to the individual and the training they've had at the end of the day.

it's great to see this thread resurrected again and to read the opinions of more peeps.

I clicked 4 or more day course as im doing the l&p essential nails course, am hoping to do more training the the future when money is avaliable! lol xx

i trained with grafton international, and i thought their way of training was fab and their stuff is reasonably priced aswell!they have just launched a new IBD acrylic 4 day course which was brilliant, loads of hands on experience is just what you need when you are converting to a product, im now going on to do my nvq level 3 with them.im doing a sculpting course with xtreme gel next month and i cant wait!

xxxxx

I did a 3 day 121 L&P with K sa ra and I am doing another 3 day at the end of the month for my Manicure and pedicure and some nail art.
I am going to save some money and so my NVQ at k sa ra - well worth it

I started by doing a six day intensive course that covered everything but at a basic level: L&P, fibre and silk, gel, Manicures and pedicures, waxing, and finally sculpting.

I'm glad I did it because it gave me an idea of what everything was all about as I knew nothing beforehand.

Having done the course I now know I want to focus specifically on manicures and pedicures and then later perhaps move onto L&P.

I've got the basics, identified the direction I want to go in, now it's just a case of getting on and doing it.

The (nail) world is my oyster!

Watch out world The Nail Connoisseur has arrived!! :lol:

i did essential nails gave me a good start then went on to creative best thing i've done loving every minute:)

when I started I lived in the States (Nevada) and you needed 500 hrs and also needed to pass a State written exam.......but through the years to keep up on my education in this ever changing industry I take 3-4 classes a year though various companies and manufacturers

Latest posts

Back