EE extensions - mascara vs black sealant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baggybear

Reaction score
Basically what I want to know is does black sealant give the same look as mascara on semi permanent EE?

I have a client that says she will still want to use mascara over her semi permanent EE and she wants me to get her the correct stuff.

I trained ages ago but have concentrated on other treatments and in my training I was told that clients had to use a water based mascara but nothing about sealants (the brand I trained with don't have a sealant) so I don't know if the sealant will give the same look as mascara with the added benefit of supposedly being good for the bonds.

No it won't. Sealant just seals out moisture. It makes the lashes shiny for a short period of time I find but not at all the effect of mascara. It doesn't thicken or lengthen at all

I don't apply sealant often after applying a set but I do find clients benefit from having their own.

Eyelash emp do a good mascara especially for extensions x

So even if the sealant I am looking at is a black sealant not a clear one it won't look like mascara.

Should I buy both a black sealant & a mascara for her then as she plans to have a full set put on and then infill them regularly to maintain lashes at all times. She is paying for them but I have to order & tell her what she needs if that makes sense.

I really don't know why they do black as i never see a difference to clear. Neither lengthen so I personally don't see the point. Perhaps over time the black could keep the lashes looking very black because of build up? But the one time I bought black I had my mum use it and we saw no difference using it to clear

If she is going to use mascara then I'd suggest one specially for extensions, if not definately water based. I find clients who use a sealant 2-3 times a week have on average a week longer between infills than those who don't. I find it especially beneficial to those that exercise or swim regularly. so for the price they save money in the long run.

So if she's paying for them I could suggest both x

The brand I am looking at are specifically for lash extensions :wink2: & I will be buying both a sealant and a mascara from the same range for her so that she is using compatible products but if you feel the clear and black look the same I will buy the clear sealant (as it's cheaper) and she can wear that every few days to help prolong the life of the lashes and pop mascara over it if she wants to.

Thank you for your help and advice.

Has she had extensions before? Does she know what they will look like without mascara? I tend to discourage my clients from wearing mascara, as I find it is just more crud to get into the glue bond and either make a mess for you or break down the glue. I tell them that if they really must wear mascara, to put it only on the tips of the extensions. This saves you a ton of work cleaning them up before you fill them. The sealant does protect the glue bond from make up and skin oils, so not a bad idea, although because my glue has up to an eight week hold time, I only recommend it to shine them up after make up aplication.

Mascara specifically for extensions will not break down the glue and most will have instructions to use only on the ends also.

When I asked her if she was sure she would still want to wear mascara with the lashes on she said that she has been having weekender lashes and still wears mascara with them so she will want mascara to wear with her semi permanent ones. I will order her what she wants and have already explained that if she does choose to wear it then it should be just on the tips of the lashes and that it should only be a now and again thing if she wants her lashes to look nice and last well.

I will be very strict with her when it comes time to infill though that if her lashes are not clean and tidy because of mascara there will be an extra charge for the time it takes me to clean and tidy them up before starting the infill.

When I asked her if she was sure she would still want to wear mascara with the lashes on she said that she has been having weekender lashes and still wears mascara with them so she will want mascara to wear with her semi permanent ones. I will order her what she wants and have already explained that if she does choose to wear it then it should be just on the tips of the lashes and that it should only be a now and again thing if she wants her lashes to look nice and last well.

I will be very strict with her when it comes time to infill though that if her lashes are not clean and tidy because of mascara there will be an extra charge for the time it takes me to clean and tidy them up before starting the infill.

Baggy you got it all planned out. Perfectly cx

I feel I have my tanning & crystal pedi's down to a T now and there is nothing taxing me at the moment so I have decided to give lashing a second chance.

I didn't really enjoy it very much when training so have not done any sets since then but I feel I may well enjoy doing them now or at least feel a lot more comfortable while doing them without beady eyes (of a trainer) watching me lol.

I was told at training that I am a natural and that I produced a very good first set that didn't look anything like a first set - I didn't think much of it at the time but am now thinking it is time to give it a second chance and see if I feel differently about it (hope so as I already have the client wanting a full set and regular infills lol) she does know that I class myself as practicing and is happy to be my 'learn as we go' model (who is paying me too) so it all looks good so far.

Look forward to learning all there is to know about lashing - so I will more than likely be popping up with more questions in the near future (after searching for answers first of course).

Basically what I want to know is does black sealant give the same look as mascara on semi permanent EE?

I have a client that says she will still want to use mascara over her semi permanent EE and she wants me to get her the correct stuff.

I trained ages ago but have concentrated on other treatments and in my training I was told that clients had to use a water based mascara but nothing about sealants (the brand I trained with don't have a sealant) so I don't know if the sealant will give the same look as mascara with the added benefit of supposedly being good for the bonds.

There is different versions of the black sealants, some are just like the clear sealant but in black, but others are a lot thicker and more mascara like to add length and thickness. The one we use is name sealing mascara and it lasts 4 days so you dont need to top it up every day but have the joy a few days. Basically its in between a normal mascara and semi permanent mascara. Both the sealant and the mascara can be used on its own or with lash extensions or even semi permanent mascara if the clients wants to have really thick lashes for a night out etc.

I hate clients like this! LOL

She has decided she will want mascara without even seeing her lash extensions!

She will tell you she only wants it for special occasions. I KNOW she is planning to wear it every day! :lol:

In my experience, there is NO mascara that does not affect the longevity of lash extensions. NONE. It also makes infilling a nightmare as it is so difficult to completely clean the lashes without it affecting the extensions.

I have also trialled clients with and without sealant and have found absolutely no difference.

I know people will disagree, especially suppliers of the products. My clients who wear mascara (but say they don't) need infills fortnightly.

Those girls who don't wear mascara can easily go three or even 4 weeks and still have a fairly good looking set at infill

She will tell you she only wants it for special occasions. I KNOW she is planning to wear it every day! :lol:

In my experience, there is NO mascara that does not affect the longevity of lash extensions. NONE. It also makes infilling a nightmare as it is so difficult to completely clean the lashes without it affecting the extensions.

I have also trialled clients with and without sealant and have found absolutely no difference.

I know people will disagree, especially suppliers of the products. My clients who wear mascara (but say they don't) need infills fortnightly.

Those girls who don't wear mascara can easily go three or even 4 weeks and still have a fairly good looking set at infill

I do agree mascara makes infills a nightmare! And they always say I only had it on once! Lies. But in general I find those that exercise a lot and use a sealer do get a longer time between infills.

I think the main cause of mascara affecting the longevity is the way they put it on, the amount and the general tugging.

To be honest I am glad she decided she wanted the mascara now and not after I have done the set as I needed to order some things to do her set and wouldn't want to place another order straight away so she would have most likely used a normal mascara while waiting for me to place the order which would do a lot more damage to her lashes than her using the correct one.

I have now ordered a clear sealant and a mascara for her along with the bits I needed to do her EE set. If when she sees her lashes she decides she is happy with them and she doesn't want to wear mascara then that is a bonus but I know it is also possible that she wants the mascara for a big night out I know she has coming up.

She also might be planning to wear it all the time but until she has the lashes on and it's time for an infill I will reserve judgement but as already stated she will be told that if I have to spend time cleaning her lashes before I can start the infill then she will be charged extra for that time.

I do agree mascara makes infills a nightmare! And they always say I only had it on once! Lies. But in general I find those that exercise a lot and use a sealer do get a longer time between infills.

I think the main cause of mascara affecting the longevity is the way they put it on, the amount and the general tugging.

3-4 weeks? what lash glue do you use if you dont mind me asking? im usingflirties and only getting 2 weeks with clients xx

Also does the sealent have to be cleaned off before infills? if so what does remove it? x

I would only ever recommend infills every 2-3 weeks to make sure the lashes are healthy and dont get damaged.

You will have your set charges for infills if you do them every 2 weeks, if you leave it longer you will need to replace more so it swings in roundabouts for the client but a lot of clients start picking at their lashes when they start growing out and thats when the natural lash gets damaged!

ops i quoted the wrong quote in my earlier post i meant this one lol x

I use Lash Revolution Pro +

I think a good glue, attaching extensions to mature lashes (but not the longest lashes, as these are at the end of their life span) and good aftercare from the client really helps.

Quite a lot of my clients go 3 weeks between infills. I charge by time so if they go longer between appointments, they just book a longer infill.

I'm sure I read on another post that Lash Rev are doing small samples of glue at the moment. PM Jenx on here as she is the distrubuter

E x

I would only ever recommend infills every 2-3 weeks to make sure the lashes are healthy and dont get damaged.

You will have your set charges for infills if you do them every 2 weeks, if you leave it longer you will need to replace more so it swings in roundabouts for the client but a lot of clients start picking at their lashes when they start growing out and thats when the natural lash gets damaged!

How can the lashes be damaged if they wait longer for infills? i am newish at lashing but if they are applied properly I was under the impression that no damage would occur. I know you have far more experience than me so I am not being cheeky just genuinely interested

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

How can the lashes be damaged if they wait longer for infills? i am newish at lashing but if they are applied properly I was under the impression that no damage would occur. I know you have far more experience than me so I am not being cheeky just genuinely interested

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I have clients that get 3-5 weeks between infills. They are look after their lashes once try leave me. And they have no damage because they are applied correctly. So your impression is correct as far as I am concerned. There is no reason to insist your client has infills every fortnight if they don't need them! Assuming they have been properly applied! X

Latest posts

Back