Electric Filing.. Good thing or bad thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xx-Angel-xx

Reaction score
Hiya all,

I've joined up to a e-file course at college on the 29th june one day training..

But i dnt know if its a good move as this nail tech that works with me says its a bad thing and waste of money.. Yet other the nail tech and my tutor swear by it saying it the best thing ever.

im confused.. what do u guys think?

xxx

in my college they don't recommend it...i have one use it for nail art...but i prefer the hand file if i was doing a full set if u have a good quality file u will file as fast as an e file does, if u r going to take a course and u will use it correctly its fine there is a lot of technicians using it...xx

personally I would steer clear of electric files, proper training with a hand file will produce the same results.
I believe trauma is caused to thew natural nail when using electric files.
Maybe go along as its booked now and then you can make your mind up to which you prefer once you have completed tyhe course.
Good Luck xx

Personally I wouldn't like anyone trained or not going anywhere near my nails with an e-file. That's just personal preference though.

In answer to your question:

Good thing - if trained correctly and competently in the correct procedure
Bad thing - if not trained correctly and competently in the correct procedure

JMHO :)

Sarah. xx

I think an e-file is perfectly fine to use if done correctly. I use it only to do backfills and nail art. I never use it on natural nails or for any other services.

I dont use e-files, but provided the user is properly trained I see no harm in giving it a try. From what others have said I think its a matter of personal preference, and although people talk about e-files and nail damage in the same sentence, I have seen considerable damage caused by improper use of hand files. Its not the tools to blame, its the user!!

Keep an open mind and give it a try

No no.... i was told when traning to stay away from drills. they are wayy to harsh for the natural nail and cause the natural nail to "d-rail" its tracks..... and more...
stay clear i say :green:

I think an e-file is perfectly fine to use if done correctly. I use it only to do backfills and nail art. I never use it on natural nails or for any other services.

Unless you have had first hand experience of using an e-file I for one think you are not qualified to say yes or no.

I was one of the ladies who always said no to e-file until I had the proper training from one of the best in indusrty (Steven Dodd Young Nails).

Now I would not be with out my little friend as I like to call it. I dont use it on the natural nail but with the correct training it is perfectley safe to do so.

My Little saying to you all is one of Greg Salo's

Its not the tools but the fools who use them

No education is a waste of time,
and drills are perfectly safe when used by someone trained to use one and someone who cares about your natural nails

Unless you have had first hand experience of using an e-file I for one think you are not qualified to say yes or no.

I was one of the ladies who always said no to e-file until I had the proper training from one of the best in indusrty (Steven Dodd Young Nails).

Now I would not be with out my little friend as I like to call it. I dont use it on the natural nail but with the correct training it is perfectley safe to do so.

So true!
If you are thinking that its going to make your service quicker, its not, what it will do is save you rsi. I love mine for de bulking cutting in the new smile line but never on the natural nail, with training its a great tool but it is still important to have your hand filing technique down pat and I still prefer to finish the nail with my finer grade hand files.
Enjoy your course hun, remember, knowledge is never a bad thing to have:lol:

So true!
If you are thinking that its going to make your service quicker, its not, what it will do is save you rsi. I love mine for de bulking cutting in the new smile line but never on the natural nail, with training its a great tool but it is still important to have your hand filing technique down pat and I still prefer to finish the nail with my finer grade hand files.
Enjoy your course hun, remember, knowledge is never a bad thing to have:lol:

I Dont think you every grow out of the habit of finishing the nails with a finer grade file no matter how good you are with the e-file.

I still love to buff to a shine before a use my finish gel.....:hug:

Thanks for your replys guy's.

I'm gunna take the course and do what like most of you have said is to make my mind up after i have completed the course. i would never use the e-file on the natural as i have seen the damage it has done.

I will keep you all posted once i have done the course.

thanks again guys xx

Thanks for your replys guy's.

I'm gunna take the course and do what like most of you have said is to make my mind up after i have completed the course. i would never use the e-file on the natural as i have seen the damage it has done.

I will keep you all posted once i have done the course.

thanks again guys xx

Who are you taking the course with if you dont mind me asking

I've recently had efile training with Georgie Smedley from Ezflow. I'm being very cautious and am still getting used to it. I was concerned about RSI, having had a form of it a few years ago, and so that was my main reason for wanting the training.

I can and do use my hand files, but for certain tasks I'm finding it a huge help. I don't go anywhere near the natural nail with it and as I've had proper training, I can't see where the harm is? So far, it's already beginning to earn it's keep with a decrease in discomfort in my filing hand. A lot of very skilled and experienced techs use them for certain functions. They aren't designed to replace hand files, but they're an additional tool in competent hands.

I think that the efile has possibly earned a negative reputation through the NSS usage of it for just about everything, but I'd say if you use it wisely you could find it a real asset. :)

Im taking the course with my college.. my tutor is teaching us. :)

Couldn't have put it better, that's exactly what I think & do also use mine for smoothing under the free edge!! I think in the right hands an e-file is a fab tool to have. :!:

although I am a bit different from most of you geeks, ( I have used an e-file for twenty plus years) I am still going to put in my two cents. I believe that if you are properly trained to use it, then an e-file is absolutely THE way to go. I am working right now in a salon where we are forbidden to use one. (huge mistake on their part) My time is the same. (if you are a superior tech, then an e-file will not affect your time OR quality) I HAVE seen an e-file stop lifting on a difficult client. Because you can get right to the nail wall and the seam between product and natural nail will dissapear. Think about it, the bit (or sanding band) is tiny (about 1/2 in x 1/4in) your "hand file" is about 1in x 8in! I can see right where I am filing and without all the back and forth motion which, I might add, can actually be the cause of unsightly fill lines. An e-file only files in one direction at a time relieving some of the trauma of "sawing" the acrylic. It saves my wrists, and my sanity. One of the key words is SLOW!!!! you don't have to use 35,000 rpms to get the job done. you can go almost a slow as with a file. The grit is offered in the same coarse or fine or medium. So the damage risk is the same or less if you consider that you have so much more precision and control. (ok so I am starting to sound like a lecturer) By all means, get the training, and slowly get used to it. You can do this and you will be glad you did. Everything takes time so don't get upset at how long it takes. you might find you are like a duck to water. Maybe you can be the girl where you live to bring about the changes needed in this business. The reputation of the e-file has been damaged by the NSS, but we can stop that with some good educated techs. :green::green::green:

What are you are you trying to say?? Do you think I haven't been trained or something?!! I know better than to use things if I'm not trained! Don't assume I haven't been trained you really make me look bad.

Ive recently had my thinking cap on about do I want/need an e-file. Firstly Im starting to feel discomfort while doing enhancements. The other thing thats got me thinking is that it manually takes me 2 hours for a full set and also 2 hours for a rebalance. I have a salon and overheads, I charge £25 for my rebal. In one hour doing other treatments I could make that and double in 1 hour alone. My enhancements seem to be 'eating up' my time.

A question to those who use an e-file .. how much does it actually chop your enhancements time down by?

A question to those who use an e-file .. how much does it actually chop your enhancements time down by?

My time is the same with filing by hand or efile. Using an efile will not necessarily bring your time down. Improving my application with my brush made all the difference for me.

S

Latest posts

Back