Emigrating to Australia from the UK

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails<3

Reaction score
As the title says my other half,children and me are hoping to move to australia before 2016.

My other half is a electrician so we can go in on his visa but only if we are married or living as man and wife for atleast a year. We will be getting married 2014-15 abroad.

I am a trainee hairdresser and will finish and be qualified to level 3 in 2014 but hairdressing or nail technician is no longer on the skilled list so I cannot apply for my own visa. Unless it changes again before then.

I'm just wondering whether any of you geeks have moved to Australia and what you had to do or any residents of Australia know anything about uk residents living in aus.

Have looked at the Australian embassy and passed the point test but I can only apply for a sponsored visa. Would it be better to go on the OH visa or get invited and sponsored? Any information would be great.

Thanks x x

I reckon if you search hard enough on the net you will find a forum related to moving to Australia. I'm an Aussie and needed to find out about UK residency and found a wealth of information on a forum dedicated to just that subject.

I hope this helps you. I don't think many people on Salon Geek will have the answers to your questions.

I wish you the best of luck! Beware, two thirds of Brits come back after moving to Australia. They get quite a rude awakening. I know two families who have returned within a year! It's not as fabulous as people make out. You need a lot of money to have a decent lifestyle. Check out "Coles Supermarket" and pretend to do an online shop. it's their Tesco equivalent but costs 4 times as much! :eek:

Sorry, don't mean to put a downer on it but I think you should be prepared. It can be a very expensive mistake to make.

I reckon if you search hard enough on the net you will find a forum related to moving to Australia. I'm an Aussie and needed to find out about UK residency and found a wealth of information on a forum dedicated to just that subject.

I hope this helps you. I don't think many people on Salon Geek will have the answers to your questions.

I wish you the best of luck! Beware, two thirds of Brits come back after moving to Australia. They get quite a rude awakening. I know two families who have returned within a year! It's not as fabulous as people make out. You need a lot of money to have a decent lifestyle. Check out "Coles Supermarket" and pretend to do an online shop. it's their Tesco equivalent but costs 4 times as much! :eek:

Sorry, don't mean to put a downer on it but I think you should be prepared. It can be a very expensive mistake to make.

Oh no you haven't put a downer on it. We will have around 60k in saving to go with so we will be prepared. I just thought I would ask just in case anyone had a similar experience. I will get looking for forums now and see what I can find! Thank you very much! X x

Pomsinadelaide.com is a great site, we used it a lot when we emigrated back in 2007, back in blighty now though..
It's probably going to be a bit more straight forward if you go one visa application, but like you said until you're married it's a bit difficult.xx

Omg your going congrats. I just read your posts about your reading the other day.
good luck :)

Omg your going congrats. I just read your posts about your reading the other day.
good luck :)

Yeah we are going. We have talked at lengths over the last few days, it's what we talked about when we first got together so we have decided to do it. I have to do my level 3 hair first so won't be leaving till around 2015 as we want to get married before we go so will get married in 2014. We were planning it last might and we decided on St Lucia but looking at everything and having to pay for everyone's flights etc it's going to be costly. So looking at somewhere else abroad to do it.

I will definatley be going though and won't change my mind. After one silly reading it's made me and the other half sit down and make plans. He even said he are getting a 4 bed house out there as we will need room for a baby lol which he didn't want.

It's all turned out great so very very happy x x

Latest posts

Back