Etching bad or ok? T.T. video?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missvain

Reaction score
I was viewing some videos on the Tammy Taylor website, and in this video on doing a backfill, she says to "etch" the nail in the process? I've read on this site that Tammy Taylor is a leading brand, and also read here that etching is not necessary for superior products :rolleyes:?

So my question is - is etching ok or never ok? Wouldn't etching thin the nailplate and cause it to become weak overtime? I know my nails became weak because my nail tech used to file and etch (but this was many many years ago, and *maybe* education on good nail practices was not as widespread then).

I cannot speak for Tammy Taylor as I have never used them, but with good quality products you do not need to etch the nail plate, just remove the shine with a 240 or more buffer.

missvain said:
is etching ok or never ok? Wouldn't etching thin the nailplate and cause it to become weak overtime?
etching will thin the nailplate, to remove the shine using a 240 grit (as Jac said) you bring the abrasive from north to south over the whole nail, once only, anymore than once and you're removing nailplate.

i think the video is a bit out of date. i used t.t for ages, but i never etched, only removed the shine as the other geeks have outlined. never had any problems with it staying on.

The current Tammy Taylor video still uses the word etching, and instructs you to use a 100 grit abrasive....ouch!! BUT, I have had students who were interested after having a guest come demonstrate for them. They used "professional" judgement and a higher grit file...240 or 360 to remove shine and had no problems with lifting. Sometimes it takes awhile for the updated information to make it from the head of a corporation to the educators out in the field.

I also think the difference in language plays a part in this.....I recently took a class and the educator also used the word etching ....and all they were really saying was remove the shine.....because they also were using a 240 file ....

Having just been to a Tammy Taylor nail course I can say that it is still taught to etch the natural nail, I was a little horrified at first as I'd originally trained with EzFlo and hard etching on the nail was a definate no no with them. I asked and was told this is why the Tammy Taylor nails don't lift, so yes I do etch the natural nail but try not to over do it. This is in New Zealand it's possible the American educators for Tammy Taylor have different ideas.:cry:

missvain said:
I was viewing some videos on the Tammy Taylor website, and in this video on doing a backfill, she says to "etch" the nail in the process? I've read on this site that Tammy Taylor is a leading brand, and also read here that etching is not necessary for superior products :rolleyes:?

So my question is - is etching ok or never ok? Wouldn't etching thin the nailplate and cause it to become weak overtime? I know my nails became weak because my nail tech used to file and etch (but this was many many years ago, and *maybe* education on good nail practices was not as widespread then).

Your intincts & common sense are telling you etching can't be good, trust yourself. No descent product should require etching, you should only ever need to remove the shine (240 grit file is fab for this).

Cosmic Chick said:
Having just been to a Tammy Taylor nail course I can say that it is still taught to etch the natural nail, I was a little horrified at first as I'd originally trained with EzFlo and hard etching on the nail was a definate no no with them. I asked and was told this is why the Tammy Taylor nails don't lift, so yes I do etch the natural nail but try not to over do it. This is in New Zealand it's possible the American educators for Tammy Taylor have different ideas.:cry:

How can they say their nails dont lift? I'm being taught that lift is down to the prep by the nail tech doing the nails and the condition of the nails so that sounds a tad sweeping unless they watch every tech who uses their products. I suppose there are some not so good systems out there too that just dont hold. The school I go to still clips the eponychium (sp?) but that doesn't mean its good or the right thing to do. I wont do it and to be honest I wouldn't hard etch nails either no matter what I was shown as I've had the knackered nails in the past that can result from it.

i dont know about this but i would never etch a nail plate regardless of what these trainers!!!tell you
The products are made not to lift with correct prep and application unless its mma or a poor product
Dont be bull dozered hun we know etching is bad:green:

Gosh I think the majority of the nail technicians here still practice etching in Singapore *shudder*

Thanks everyone, as I've only just started training, I still get confused at times :irked:.

And honestly, before I stumbled upon this site, I used to think that nail enhancements were no good and a sure way to weaken the natural nail. Because that was my own personal experience when I had them on. Now I know better, thanks to all of you!!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back