Ethical make-up?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KDmakeup

Reaction score
Have just been recommended to somebody to do make-up for them for a wedding. That's all very good but the person is wondering if I can do ethical make-up. Now maybe I'm just being dim but what on earth is ethical make-up and how do you do an ethical make-up look?
I'm not in direct contact with the person at the moment so can't ask them yet but at the same time I don't want it to be something simple and they decide against going with me because I didn't know what it was.
I'm thinking ethical being more green, good for the environment, all natural, vegan... etc but that's more about the products as opposed to application.
Hope that's made sense lol x

I think your first instinct is right and its to do with products not application. Ethical makeup is usually 100% vegan / vegetarian and cruelty free.

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Yes that's what it is I've just heard back. I take it that will include brushes and things. They would have to be vegan brushes?

Could it be ethnical mu? Like tribal, etc...?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Perhaps she meant ethnic and not ethical? I think you need to speak to her directly to clarify what it is she wants x

She might just want cruelty free makeup, which is a little easier to find than cruelty free and vegan. But if she wants vegan too it's possible. Have a look at this site for some help and feel free to PM me as well if you need any help on UK stuff as I am always trying to buy vegan makeup and never buy anything animal tested so I can help you out with which brands are actually not cruelty free when they say they are!
crueltyfreeface.com

(Oh ignore where it says Urban Decay are not cruelty free on this site, they decided not to sell in China after all, so they're good to go).

That's exactly what I thought at first that they meant ethnic but it is ethical. It's the bride's brother I'm in contact with and he's passing my number on so should have a clearer idea by the end of the day. I was so puzzled when I first got the text lol.

Oh I never thought of Urban Decay thanks for that. I'm in town today so will pop in there and ask and I was also going to give Lush a try as they have their make-up range. My mum orders things from a company called Beauty Naturals, all natural products. I'm not sure what their make-up Is like but might be worth investigating.
I'll do some digging and might give you a message if I find anything worth while or need some info thanks :)

Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find cosmetics that are cruelty free. Urban Decay has recently lost it's leaping bunny logo (the logo for cruelty free) as it now sells in China.

As with most other make up companies China is too big of an opportunity to miss out on , and it is chinese law that any cosmetic has to be tested on animals before they will allow it to be sold in their country ... so pointless in this day and age but there you go. The Chinese government commissions the testing of the products on animals and then bills the company so inadvertently the company is now seen as animal testing.

What i would also like to point out is that a lot of the companies that are "cruelty free" are infact using products that HAVE been tested on animals , just not by their company.

I think animal testing as unfortunate as it is , is just one of those things we have to come to terms with. I am a COMPLETE animal lover but after doing a lot of research into animal testing in the cosmetic industry by eyes have been well and truly opened. I was dead set against animal tested for years but on closer inspection you can't really avoid it. It's all a marketing ploy.

A top make up artist once said to me, why are you so against animal testing in make up , when you don't twice about over the counter medicines that are also tested on animals . I just stood there in shock for a few seconds as it never dawned on me but it's so true . Food for thought anyway . . .

Hi there, I am a freelance Bridal Make up artist and I use Lily Lolo Mineral make up. Cruelty free, endorsed by BUAV and PETA, it has Gorgeous Quality Products and fantastic results. The brushes are vegan friendly and most products are vegan friendly too, have a look at their website www.lilylolo.co.uk

i used to use bare minerals but now i am converted and the prices are half that of bare minerals and better quality in my opinion xxx

Unfortunately it's getting harder and harder to find cosmetics that are cruelty free. Urban Decay has recently lost it's leaping bunny logo (the logo for cruelty free) as it now sells in China.
as i said above this is no longer the case. After a lot of angry complaints they decided against selling in china and have their leaping bunny certification back!

I disagree with many of your points but will have to come back to it when im not on my phone.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Oh Lillylolo I haven't heard of that one. Will check it out. I had a play about with some Lush make-up today. Ethical, good products but I thought quite expensive for what you get which put me off a little. I popped into Liz Earle too and was told that they are cruelty free and mostly contain all natural ingredients. I have never used anything by Liz Earle so might be interesting to give them a try. I will check out prices first though.

Hi there, I am a freelance Bridal Make up artist and I use Lily Lolo Mineral make up. Cruelty free, endorsed by BUAV and PETA, it has Gorgeous Quality Products and fantastic results. The brushes are vegan friendly and most products are vegan friendly too, have a look at their website www.lilylolo.co.uk

i used to use bare minerals but now i am converted and the prices are half that of bare minerals and better quality in my opinion xxx

What are the pigmemts like for the eyeshadows, as Im looking to get some lily lolo eye shadows for bridal, but worried they will not be pigmented enough or they will ware off after a while...as Im use to using MAC which stays on all day without touch ups

Ive got quite a few vegan/peta approved make up like medusa (very affordable), limecrime (bit out there), occ-(really good), Sugapill (very neon/bright makeup).

However when it comes to vegan/peta approved mkup there are separate company for brushes like cozette, eco tools etc

Have a search online on any of these companies i think there are three uk distributors that i have brought in the past! Majority are american so p+p is a bit sometimes! xoxo

OK bear with me because this is an issue that I am passionate about.

I think animal testing as unfortunate as it is , is just one of those things we have to come to terms with. I am a COMPLETE animal lover but after doing a lot of research into animal testing in the cosmetic industry by eyes have been well and truly opened. I was dead set against animal tested for years but on closer inspection you can't really avoid it. It's all a marketing ploy.
Yes, we can avoid it! As consumers we can choose to buy make up from companies that do not animal test.

A top make up artist once said to me, why are you so against animal testing in make up , when you don't twice about over the counter medicines that are also tested on animals . I just stood there in shock for a few seconds as it never dawned on me but it's so true . Food for thought anyway . . .
It's not the same. I disagree with ALL animal testing and try to buy medicines from companies that don't test. However, I am aware that this is very difficult to do and if I was told I had to take life saving drugs, I can't say I wouldn't take them.

But it is totally unnecessary to test on animals for cosmetic purposes, that is the difference. You don't NEED make up to survive, it is a luxury. You don't NEED animals to suffer just because you want to wear lipstick - there is a difference and there is enough of a choice out there for us to make an informed decision, if we do a bit of research.

Your point about using ingredients that other people have tested I do take on board. But it's kind of a moot point, when most of the ingredients in question will have been tested many moons ago before this was a known issue and fixed cut off dates will now be in place.

When researching companies I am looking for the following in their policy: No testing of ingredients or finished products on animals by themselves or by an appointed company and/or a fixed cut off date for animal testing. This is what they need to obtain PETA/Leaping Bunny status also. Also, I'm not comfortable buying products brands that are owned by a comnpany that animal tests (such as Body Shop - don't animal test but are owned by L'Oreal who do.)

So yes, a lot of cosmetic ingredients will have been tested on animals at some point in the past for safety but that doesn't mean that all companies are as bad as each other and the testing probably happened a long time ago. There are good companies like Lush and Urban Decay who are against unecessary animal testing. Urban Decay changing their minds about selling in China was a massive win and just shows that some companies do listen to their consumers and are not just out for the money. Although I'm not naive enough to think money had nothing to do with it - they would have lost a lot of business if they had gone ahead I do believe.

Then there are companies like Avon and Estee Lauder (MAC unfortunately) and L'Oreal who are only thinking about the money. Companies like Aveda and MAC disappoint me so much, being cruelty free was a selling point and a lot of cruelty free artists relied on their products (me included). I built up a lot of my pro kit with MAC and now I'm finding that I have a tonne of make up I really don't want to use on customers as I don't want to support those brands anymore.

The point I'm trying to make, probably not that well, is that we can choose to spend our money with companies that try to make a difference and that all companies are not equal.

OK getting off soapbox now and I'm sorry for hijacking the thread.

What are the pigmemts like for the eyeshadows, as Im looking to get some lily lolo eye shadows for bridal, but worried they will not be pigmented enough or they will ware off after a while...as Im use to using MAC which stays on all day without touch ups

The Pigment in the colours is fantastic! you need the tiniest bit! particularly for the blushers too, they last forever! The sizes of products are generous, the colour range is good with 18 foundation shades. the only downside is that as a fairly young company the range of lipstick colours is limited, but they have only just been launched and they have already bought out two products in the past two months so they are growing all the time.There aren't many matt eyeshadows really, say for older brides or people that just don't want sparkle to avoid crepey looking eyes etc, so if you do have older clients, you might want to use a few other brands of make up in your collection, i still use bare minerals primer and some of their eyesahdows at the moment although i am looking into inika and what they can offer.

The starter packages are fantastic, service is brilliant and you get wholesale prices, for example around £7.20 for a foundation, retail £12.49.

people love it and i've only had compliments at how it stays on all day and still looked as good on the night as when it was applied in the morning, they send you samples if you are looking to start up with them. Hope this helps :)

I used to use Lily Lolo foundation, still do now and then and I do like it. It doesn't last all day on me though - do you use a primer under it?

I've never got on with mineral eyeshadows either, never found they blend that well.

just placed my first eyeshadow order with lily lolo this afternoon!

Cant wait to have a play with them!

Look at Honeypie Minerals and ask how ethical they are etc..

My friend runs www.ecorium.co.uk which might be of some use. All products are organic, they choose products for their ethical stance and the site lists ingredients and kite marks for each product.
It's also a very lovely, easy site to navigate.

Last edited:
I used to use Lily Lolo foundation, still do now and then and I do like it. It doesn't last all day on me though - do you use a primer under it?

I've never got on with mineral eyeshadows either, never found they blend that well.

Hi Salj, Yes I always use a primer with it, I wouldnt ever use it without!-its all about the preparation to get the most from your product.

Can't say i have any issues blending mineral eyeshadows, perhaps try a block mineral eyesahow or a different brush?

Latest posts

Back