Expiry for Gift Vouchers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chez2k

Reaction score
Just wondering... those of you that offer gift vouchers - how long do your vouchers last? 3/6/12 months?

Thanks
Cheryl

Just wondering... those of you that offer gift vouchers - how long do your vouchers last? 3/6/12 months?

Thanks
Cheryl

I do 6 months but I am flexible on that.

I do 3 months.
I am strict and stick to it
Such a meany.but have had no one complaining or running out

6 months for me aswell :)

I give vouchers for 6 months and I am not flexible because it forms part of the return on sale so if I am flexible it would intefere with my system.

I used to do 3 months but I did have a couple of people enquire about them and then decide not to buy based on the fact they were buying as gifts for someone, and by the time they received there would be less than that. I would have been flexible, but it put them off buying....so I lost the business.

So now I do 12 months. I keep the money to one side and only put it for earnings once the voucher is redeemed, so its no skin off my nose as to how long they take to redeem it. I will however be more strict with 12 months, but have never had need to.

I used to do 3 months but I did have a couple of people enquire about them and then decide not to buy based on the fact they were buying as gifts for someone, and by the time they received there would be less than that. I would have been flexible, but it put them off buying....so I lost the business.

so far I haven't had a problem with my 3 months. If it's bought for a birthday, I do if from the date of that birthday.
I am getting people now buying for christmas pressys, so I put the voucher valid from then.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did used to have my expiry at 6 months but changed it last year to 3 months. I have had no-one complain. I also do not include it in my takings until the voucher is redeemed as otherwise I could be working some weeks for next to nothing if several people redeem them all in the same week.

I have a couple of oustanding vouchers one is now 1 month out of date.

I have always done 12 months - an6y vouchers I have bought from anywhere else - New Look, Next etc. etc. are all 12 months or more.

It has only once been a problem when one girl waited until the week before Christmas and wanted an appointment, I couldnt fit her in and this meant her voucher would expire unused. In the Christmas spirit I extended it to end of January, but never again.

Mine is 6 mths purely for the fact that at the mo I only take cash or cheque, and cheques expire after 6 mths but Iam lenient with them. You either get people that use them within the first couple of weeks or people that suddenly remember in the last week or so after or that suddenly 'remember' or 'found it' or due to illness can just use them!

You have to have a cut off point though as you wouldn't expect if you had a 'retail' voucher for a shop and asked them 'Iam a few months overdue can I still use it'? they would refuse like a shot.

You have to be strong you are still a business!

Thanks for the replies. I think I will go for 6 months first and see how it goes.

Thank you :)

I do 3 mths because I found that clients if interested will book in relitavely quickly, if not if you take the period of Dec -Feb...You have Valentives day and xmas, which will keep you ticking over in Jan when it may be a quite period, the same for mothers day...usually Mar/Apr time keep you ticking over until the summer...mind you I dont do many gift vouchers but I do have printed on them Valid 3 mths from the date, then everyone knows where they stand. OH...it also helps with my stock control

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back