Eyelash extension disaster

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemster

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

Am having a major dilemma and need some advice.

I am considering doing an individual eyelash extension course and decided to have my lashes done to see the results first hand. I had them done the night before Xmas eve and paid a fortune to have them done late after work in London.

The therapist didn't seem particularly interested in the treatment and hardly uttered a word to me from the minute I walked in the salon. She left the room a couple of times, telling me she was going to get the different length lashes from the other treatment room. At the end of the treatment my eyes were completely stuck together and were very sore and bloodshot, but I think this was just from the effort of getting them open! The lashes looked ok, they were very subtle, but I was pleased with the effect for a first time treatment. However, shortly after leaving the salon I realised there was a very large clump of glue stuck in the corner of my eye which was becoming more and more painful every time I blinked. When I got home a clump of about 6 lashes fell out of the corner along with the lump of glue. I was very careful to keep the lashes dry but the next morning I lost another 3 clumps of lashes out of the same eye and looked completely lopsided!

I eventually managed to get a local salon to squeeze me in just before they shut early for Xmas Eve and the therapist was appalled with the lashes. She explained that the lashes applied were all the same length (in spite of the original therapist telling me she had found the other length lashes) were brown rather than black (which I had never been asked about), and were very clumpy and caked in glue. The therapist did her best to fill in the gaps but was unable to do much as the lost clumps had taken my own lashes with them.

Although I don't think I had an actual reaction to any of the products, the lashes were driving me mad on Xmas Day. Tthe lumps of glue appeared to be scratching my eyes every time I blinked and yet more clumps of lashes were coming loose, even though I still hadn't got them wet. I eventually managed to get hold of a friend of a friend who agreed to take the lashes off for me today, but now they are off I can see the damage to my own lashes in all it's glory.

I'm so angry about the treatment but there's very little else I could do as the original salon isn't open again until 4th Jan, and I doubt they will do anything now the lashes are off (which I understand as I could quite easily have made this all up and picked them off myself!), so all I'm concerned about now is getting my natural lashes back to their original state. Is there a product or treatment I can use that will speed up the regrowth of the lashes that I've lost? I naturally have lovely long lashes and am now wishing I had left well alone!!

Sorry for the essay guys but your advice would be much appreciated :)

the salon ought to be informed, it sounds as if the therapist could use some more training or practice in the technique before this happens to someone else. i would ask to see proof of her qualification to make sure she is not doing the treatment without proper training.

Your own lashes will grow back fine. I hope you took photos? You need to return to the salon asking for a refund and ask about the therapist's training - qualification(s) if not for your own sake but for others too.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience. That's awful :-(

I am so sorry hun, what an awful thing to happen to you. I agree, you must take some photos and go back to the salon when it re-opens in January. Hope it doesn't take too long for your eyelashes to grow back.:hug:

I agree whole heartedly with everyone above. Hopefully you took photos.
As a rule a good stylist should provide you with an aftercare card to take home - they should also provide you with a mobile number if they were closing over the break in case you had any reaction to them (being a first timer). I would definitely go to the salon and politely ask to see her qualification. Keep us posted on how you go and good luck! You have first hand experience of what can happen when you get bad training - keep this in mind when looking for a trainer!

Just for your info hun, lashes have a cycle of between 60 and 90 days, so you are looking at a good few weeks before you lashes are fully grown again :cry: There are some drops/lotions on the market that "can" help with re-growth but if you search on here you should find some information on it, Im not sure if it truly works and you may just have to suck it up and leave well alone and let them grow on their own :cry: It wont take long :green:

Alternatively (which Im not sure you will want to do) You could find a
reputable EE and have sight of her certificate and check out her before and after photos, all good, experienced lashers will have a portfolio for you to look at, and they will be able to make good, maybe putting a bridge in to cover the gaps until they grow, the lasher needs to be experienced to do this :) hope this all helps

xx:hug:

I agree with all the advice above. I always give clients a contact number in case they develop any problems (which should never happen as they will have undergone a patch test and consultation beforehand).

There are a few lash serums on the market which are supposed to be pretty good but I've also read that good ole Vaseline (applied to your lashes at night) is a great lash conditioner. I don't know that it will make your lashes regrow any quicker though. You might find it will be a few months before they are back to normal.

I'd definitely go back to the salon though to make them aware of the problems you experienced.

It is such a shame that some technicians spoil the experience for so many people. I find that most clients find it difficult to ask other technicians for their certification and experience because they are afraid they will come across as rude. If you paid a fortune for it, I will definitely be going right back when they are opened to ask for a full refund and not take no for an answer. You could even threaten to report them to trading standards and whichever beauty association they are a member of.
With regards to the growth of your natural lashes, you could use supplement serums like rapid lash which you can get from boots.

PRIMALASHES

defiantly go back to the salon! imagine if it was someone that worked for you and they had done that to a client you would want me know! maybe the salon would be able to supply you with a eyelash conditioner as they will probably have them if they do lashes! or a more experienced tech would be able to pop u another set in!
but until then id go with the Vaseline when i had mine on i used to put it on when i had them removed it just puts a barrier on the lashes to stop any more damage! xx

Thank you for all your lovely advice ladies...and for restoring my faith in lashes!!

I've been using my trusty Vaseline all week and my lashes feel better already, and once the gaps have filled in am going to be brave (with a different tech obviously :lol:) and have a new set of extensions applied. Hopefully having them done properly will give me a standard to strive for when I train.

Oh...and the original salon will be hearing all about this :)

xxx

Hi Geeks,

individual eyelash extension course

That sounds absolutely aweful. I went on a nail course and an eyelash extension course with the Nails and Beauty Academy. They are really professional and all the people in the clasroom, including me :), created perfect lash extensions first time round.

The symptoms you have described are terrible and they should not be allowed to work on the public. Always check to see if they are insured. If they're not - don't go with them. Insurance companies only back professionals and these people clearly aren't!

When I apply lashes, I use an amount of glue that is just right so it doesn't gloop all over my clients eyes - these so-called therapists you went to are shocking!

Don't let this bad experience put you off, I apply them correctly and none (yes, none!) of my clients have left feeling unhappy! Any reputable school will teach you how to apply them properly so this sort of thing never happens!

The course i went on is here if you're interested:

Eyelash Extension Course

Good luck and I wish you all the best (including a very happy new year!!)

Regards,

Tessa
Tessa's Salon - London (website coming soon!!)

Latest posts

Back