Eyelash tinting gone wrong -could be sued?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. A person cannot sign away their rights. We as therapists must not allow them to try to do this. I've had it a number of times but I just refuse. I simply will not perform any eye treatment unless I personally have carried out a patch test.

If a client really wanted a eyelash tint without prior patch test, would we be covered if will ask them to sign to say they gave their permission for the tint to be done without a patch test?
No, you definately will not be covered. A recorded patch test and consultation is a requirement of your insurance and, hopefully, it should have part of your training

I totally agree with Blue Rose. Over the years I have had to deal with lots of problems clients have experienced. An apology, sympathy, and an obvious desire to put the problem right goes a very long way.

I totally agree with Blue Rose. Over the years I have had to deal with lots of problems clients have experienced. An apology, sympathy, and an obvious desire to put the problem right goes a very long way.

Yay, someone actually agrees with me. Thank you persianista :green:

I learnt a long time ago & unfortunately the hard way, that more often than not, it's not the problem that is the problem, it's how you deal with it that's the problem! (if that makes sense?)

If the client is wanting a free treatment & refund then do it. Now is not really a time to be getting arsey about giving away a bit of time & a small amount of product cost.

It's surprising how far just an apology can go. We're always told not to apologise because it makes us sound liable but long story short, I got sued a few years back after a client reaction (not for an ELT) and all because I didn't apologise & phone after a couple of days to see how she was.

I'm sure many lessons for all of us can be learnt from this, not least to make sure we all fill in our record cards correctly & show some empathy to clients!

This is spot on and great advice! x:)

couldn't agree more..that's another one for you :hug:

Although I note this thread is over a year old :eek::hug:

Erm, it was posted on the 5th Feb 2010. Just under a week ago, no?

Erm, it was posted on the 5th Feb 2010. Just under a week ago, no?

opps LOL..where did the year go :eek::lol::hug:

If this is a new thread then maybe this may help http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/107039-irritate-spray-tan.html#post1015361

Of course a skin patch test wont determine any residue falling into the eye itself because that is a seperate issue in itself....however it is imperative that as therapists we "asses and evaluate risk" to our customers and therefore best mitigate exposure to risk for the proceedures we undertake on them as well as having adequate procedures in place in the event things go wrong...which they invariably do and will:hug:

Last edited:
Hi, just a quick update.
I've been in touch with her and she'll pop in for a chat in a couple of days -she said her eyelids are still swollen.
I'll keep you updated.
Thnx

Actually I was just about to join in!

firstly, this lady came in and said she wasn't after anything but thought she would let you know.

then, she changed her mind (someone had been talking to her).

July, I would do what she asks, be empathetic to her, and make her feel like royalty.
A lot of people end up pursuing something "out of principle" and say that all they wanted was an apology.
You CAN surely apologise without admitting liability? You did everything right and the client knows that you did everything right, its just unfortunate that she had a reaction.

Hope it goes well and let us know how you get on.

I wonder if she has sought medical advice, if she tried to sue without doctor confirming then she wouldnt have a leg to stand on, but do you really want it to go that far? I would give refund, offer her a low cost treatment such as a massage, and out of peak hours.

From now on, get the client to sign a form.

xx

i think you need to bear in mind how painfull this poor ladies eyes must feel! i have this done regularly and when tint gets in your eye it kills and feels like burning so i can only imagine hoe sore her eyes must be if they have gone that red!

i am not a skin geek so am talking as a client, it doesnt sound like anything was done wrong. but on these occasions it is an automatic response to go into self protection mode, so as not to admit liability.
try to remember that a sympathetic responce to her will not make you look guilty!

Yip I have been sued something different, think this one has an eye infection though.

Latest posts

Back