Eyelash tinting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stampy

Reaction score
Hi when doing eyelash tinting, is it OK to apply to lower lashes with the eye open first, then to top lashes with eye closed?

Also, when applying tint I always try to take the tint right down to the base of the top lashes ... however when I wipe it off it often looks as if the client has eyeliner at base of lashes. I can't decide if this is the desired effect and it's just because the base of the lashes now appears thicker, or that I'm doing it wrong and should be leaving more of a gap.

I use barrier creams and remove tint thoroughly.

Any advice on application much appreciated!x

Hi, have you been trained on how to do eyelash tinting?? If not I would highly recommend training, not just so how you know how to apply but to know all basics such as contra-indications, allergies, contra-actions etc.
I was taught not to apply to bottom lashes first as when an eye sheet (or whatever you use) is placed under lashes of lower eye lid the tint should catch the lower lashes as well as top. Sometimes though if the client has short lower lashes it can be hard to catch these.
The 'eyeliner' effect sounds like you're getting some on the skin, you'll need a tint remover to get rid of this (use a tint remover relevant to your system). The only advice I can give on this is use a cotton bud to remover any tint around this area once applied before it dries onto skin. The rest should wash off when the client next washes their face.

Hi when doing eyelash tinting, is it OK to apply to lower lashes with the eye open first, then to top lashes with eye closed?

Also, when applying tint I always try to take the tint right down to the base of the top lashes ... however when I wipe it off it often looks as if the client has eyeliner at base of lashes. I can't decide if this is the desired effect and it's just because the base of the lashes now appears thicker, or that I'm doing it wrong and should be leaving more of a gap.

I use barrier creams and remove tint thoroughly.

Any advice on application much appreciated!x

We were taught to apply the eye pads and then brush lightly across the bottom lashes with the tint before asking the client to close their eyes.

To be honest, I think it depends on how confident you are and how good your client is with keeping their eyes open without them watering.

With a few of my clients, who don't like keeping their eyes open, I just do the whole process with the eyes shut. Eyelashes criss cross when the eyes are shut anyway, so the tint normally covers upper and lower lashes with the eyes closed.

Make sure when you apply the barrier cream, that you go as close to the lashes as possible, without actually touching the hairs. This should prevent the "eyeliner effect" that you are getting. :green:

I was taught to use vaseline jelly on the tops and bottoms but not hitting the hairs. Then put on a bit of saran wrap right underneath the eyes, I don't do this as I think the vaseline works great alone. I then apply the tint to the bottom lashes, having them look right up to the ceiling. Then they are to close their eyes and keep them closed for 15 minutes and then I do the top lashes with the eyes closed. As far as the eyeliner effect, you are hitting the skin. I use the criss cross motion that was mentioned, getting close but not too close. I think that the eyeliner effect looks sexy, but you're client might not like that.

Your client has to be extremely still while doing this, they can't be flutterers,lol.

aj

Hey we jst finished this on my course and we were taught to apply vasaline under the eye and on eyelid without gettin any on lases aply thin damp cotton pad thats been cut in half under the eye, apply the tint with the eye shut and apply enough on top lashes so it gets to bottom lases too xx :)

all this info is very interesting i bought a eye lash tint kit from boots, applied just like it told me to do but blinked and that was it my eyes were streaming and stinging like mad so much so that i threw it away after, yes i did the patch test first like a good girl and no problems but my eyes didnt agree, i was fine when i washed it off no swelling or anything but i wont do it again, ouch :eek:

I apply vaseline around the eye area - under the lower lashes & on the eye lid.
I then apply a 1/2 cotton pad (damp) under the lower lash.
The i apply the tint to the lower lashes whilst the client is looking up, be sure to get enough tint on but not too close to the skin-bottom of lash.
I then apply a small amount of tint to the front of the top lashes & then ask the client to close their eyes & apply the tint to the back of the top lashes.
I leave a small gap of approx 1-2 mm so not to touch the eyelid with tint, but ensure i pull the tint the whole length & on to the cotton pad.
I have never had any problems with the top lids looking as though they have eyeliner on them.
If you apply vaseline as close to the lash without touching the lash you should not have any problems.

HTH xx

We were trained to apply it with the eyes closed... however, as you become more skilled, it is possible to apply it with the eye open... I do this if the client has extremely short lower lashes. When I apply with the eyes closed, I apply it from under the lashes first, then apply on top of the lashes. As for the eyeliner look... 9/10 of my clients actually ask if I can do that because they like the look of it... of course it only lasts for the day. I Apply the tint right up to the base of the lid and don't leave a gap. It doesn't really leave much on the lid.

Excellent advice, much appreciated. In answer to first question, yes I am trained in tinting but there are a few areas which I felt a little unsure in.
I have a tint booked tonight and will be doing so with confidence! xxx​

all this info is very interesting i bought a eye lash tint kit from boots, applied just like it told me to do but blinked and that was it my eyes were streaming and stinging like mad so much so that i threw it away after, yes i did the patch test first like a good girl and no problems but my eyes didnt agree, i was fine when i washed it off no swelling or anything but i wont do it again, ouch :eek:

When you blinked you may have got a bit of tint in your eye, it does really sting unfortunately, you just need to rinse your eyes throughly. Its not easy applying tint to your own eyelashes.

Hi all, i was taught to apply tint with the eyes closed, unfortunately the tint sometimes misses the bottom lashes, now i do do the bottom lashes first, to ensure coverage (being extremely careful!!!) i tint my own lashes with my eyes open, (naughty girl!!) but i am confident in doing so and have never got any in my eyes (touch wood!) and i always make sure when removing tint to really squeeze any water out of cotton wool, if not water and tint can run into the eye ouch!! xx:hug: :hug:

Ive done eyelash tinting course.Always do bottom lashes with eyes open,get them to then close eyes then do tops lashes.No problem.Easy peezie,lemon sqeezie.

I apply vaseline to lower lid and upper lid, then apply tinit to bottom lashes first with eys wide open (looking right up) then get client to close eyes and do top lashes. If you havent got a steady hand then i would recommend doing bottom lashes with eyes closed, if you apply enough tint it will catch the bottom lashes, but it is more throrough with eyes open. If you do use tint remover, you shouldn't use this to near to the eye, so i wouldnt recommend using it if you have created an eyeliner effect with the tint as it could cause discomfort for the client.

I always do my eyelash tints with eyes open to do bottom lashes then get my client to close and do the tops.

Usually you get staining if the barrier cream,i.e vaseline hasn't been applied correctly.As close as you can get to the lashes without touching them or that will prevent the lashes from tinting.

I was actually taught to do eyelash tinting with eyes closed but was shown how to do them with eyes open for the bottom lashes.It is far more effective and I have many new clients that comment that they used to go to such and such and they did all the tinting with eyes closed.They all say that the results are far better and I have to say I agree.

Some clients move their eyes quite a lot as they talk to you with the tint on.This is how you can get staining.I always make a point of being quiet and not engaging in conversation when the tint is on,this helps prevent the eyes from moving around and the lashes flicking an area that hasn't been covered with vaseline.

Also when removing,use wet cotton buds and get as much of the tint off as you can prior to removeing the pads.Then get a wet cotton wool round,place on top of eye and swipe downwards.This should also help prevent staining.HTH

You are very brave (or mad!?) doing your own lashes, I have been tinting for years but would not do my own!

i do mine all the time just one eye at a time , lol :lol: as for the method when i learned it years ago we were taught to do bottom first then close eyes , but then when i did a refresher course we were taught to do it with eyes closed !! so i dont think it really matters as long as you dont get tint in the clients eye
hth dee x

Latest posts

Back