Fake Shellac experiences & photos

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mizzy_dizzy

Reaction score
As knowledge Is power , and the word Shellac seems to be turning in to a phrase for uv color that offten isn't even a soak off ,
I thought it might be beneficial for us to have a thread sharing our experiences, what we saw and how we dealt with it,

I'm sure at some point we will all get a new client with "shellac" already attached !

Here's mine , I had a new lady who has had 3 applications at the spa on the local military base ,
For Shellac (by name)

This is what she had on ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1311323904.978154.jpg

It took 1 hour to remove ! I spent 25 minutes trying to buff and soak , wasn't happening lol
Total waste of product and shellac wraps so I ended up having to carefully file off witch took forever to as it seemed the file was just slipping off it,

The lady said the bottles wear white and she tryed to see the name but couldn't see the words shellac so after 3 applications she didnt want to go back,

I had a young lady come to me for Shellac who had been 'shellacked' at the mall. Her 'shellac' peeled off within two days. When she came to me she said my bottles were different. The 'shellac' at the mall was made by Orly. :eek:

WOW...what some unscrupulous 'pros' are getting away with. It's appalling, really.

She's been a regular client with me her ever since. :)

Last edited:
I have a 'friend' who has asked me to shellac her toes, but she wants an OPI varnish with Shellac top coat!! I told her that I didn't do that, explained why and that she needed to choose a shellac colour and she proceeded to tell me the salon in town does this for her all the time! I refused so she won't come to me! I presume this salon is doing this for other clients too. I know it is important to try and please clients and be flexible but surely they are risking all sorts doing this!

Oh my, I live in Florida and there are people getting duped right and left here. I've had MANY people call me or show me their "Shellac" which isnt Shellac. I explain that Shellac is made by CND and that there is only one Shellac. I also explain the differences. I let them see my wheels with the Shellac colors (also the bottles of Shellac) and explain these are the only colors made by Shellac (because they have all kinds of wierd colors). I also explain that ANY gel based polish will last as long as Shellac if applied correctly, but it's all about the 'take-off' process. I tell them that Shellac only takes, at the most, 10 minutes to soak off. The other products I've tried, i.e. Gelish and Gelac, take at least 20-30 minutes to remove and sometimes involves filing. I believe that clients getting Shellac mostly have natural nails and it kind of defeats the purpose when filing the top of the nail plate when you are going the 'natural nail' way. I know alot of us experienced nail techs can file off product without damanging the natural nail, but there are alot of techs that may not be so experienced in that. I highly recommend Shellac wraps for they seem to not saturate the nails quite as much as the 'cotton/foil' method. I do offer both methods for my clients as they have to pay extra for the wraps. The clients that use SolarOil often seem to not have any drying effects so the cotton/foil method is ok. I NEVER soak them in a dish! Way too much exposure to acetone to the hands. I also see alot of the discount nail salons saying it's Shellac when they are actually getting real gels! Key point---if they file the nail plate before the 'Shellac' is put on, most likely, it's gel nails.

P.S. I LOVE SHELLAC, can't wait for the new 6 in September!

If anyone gets any photos I would love to see!

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1312969527.834688.jpg fake shellac , 6 days old 2 of thoughs days she had painted over with regular polish as it was such a mess,
Only her thumb and 1 pinkie had white , all the others it had come off at free edge leaving her with clear in the rest ,

mizzy_dizzy - how much did you charge for the 1 hour soak off? Did you have any time left to shellac her nails once you got the old product removed?

I have had about 3 new clients book in for Re-Shellac all said they had shellac on BUT THEY DIDNT!

One took me an hour to remove as well!

One client, said she had shellac one already, when she came in & I saw the colour she had on I knew straight away that it wasnt, I ask what colour that was & it is not Shellac, she said "Well, I am a beauty journist & it is just like Shellac & will only take 10 mins to remove"....blood boiling.... "Well, I am a beauty therapist with 13 years experience & I can tell you there is nothing else out there like Shellac, it is one of a kind" - it turned out to be artistic & took about 40 mins to remove! She never came back!!!

Now, if a new client books in with Shellac already on, I always say "I dont mean to sound funny, but is it definatly you have Shellac on, as other products take a lot longer to remove"

If you end up soaking the nails off will it affect the new real shellac that we re apply? I had a lady and I am seeing her tomorrow as after 1 day my real shellac has started to chip she said??? I will see tomorrow but this whole thing is annoying me. help!

As knowledge Is power , and the word Shellac seems to be turning in to a phrase for uv color that offten isn't even a soak off ,
I thought it might be beneficial for us to have a thread sharing our experiences, what we saw and how we dealt with it,

I'm sure at some point we will all get a new client with "shellac" already attached !

P.S. I LOVE SHELLAC, can't wait for the new 6 in September!

Joyelle, I'm in Tampa and some of the colors are already available in local CosmoProfs. Call your local CosmoProf and see if they've got any of the new colors in yet.

Some of the problems I've run into are:

1. The client knows it's not Shellac and just figures it's all the same so why bother telling us otherwise or
2. Clients have been told it's Shellac but it's actually a gel polish from a manufacturer we know or
3. It's some other gel polish that we've never heard of or
4. They've actually had a colored gel enhancement applied and honestly don't know the difference.

With the layering possibilities making it difficult to identify Shellac, what's one to do? Some we can spot right off. Others we can't.

Some of you know from firsthand experience with some of these products, even if we buff the shine, it's still not soaking off. I've taken my efile to some of this stuff.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1314120072.715330.jpg
Here's one I did today ,
Her "Shellac" was a normal buff off gel overlay ,
Note the thickness at the cuticle area !!!
They had damaged her nails with the E-file so much that me buffing it off with a koala was giving here heat :(

mizzy_dizzy - how much did you charge for the 1 hour soak off? Did you have any time left to shellac her nails once you got the old product removed?

I have had about 3 new clients book in for Re-Shellac all said they had shellac on BUT THEY DIDNT!

One took me an hour to remove as well!

One client, said she had shellac one already, when she came in & I saw the colour she had on I knew straight away that it wasnt, I ask what colour that was & it is not Shellac, she said "Well, I am a beauty journist & it is just like Shellac & will only take 10 mins to remove"....blood boiling.... "Well, I am a beauty therapist with 13 years experience & I can tell you there is nothing else out there like Shellac, it is one of a kind" - it turned out to be artistic & took about 40 mins to remove! She never came back!!!

Now, if a new client books in with Shellac already on, I always say "I dont mean to sound funny, but is it definatly you have Shellac on, as other products take a lot longer to remove"

I new it when we talked on the phone that it would be a prob so I booked her in last thing at night ,

I was shocked at the removal time it just didnt want to come off , cos it took me unaware I charged normal ,

Now when they call I tell them if it will not soak off I will Charge full gel removal ( as that's what it is)

Not to mention the idiots who sell "Shellac" on eBay. I came across a so called beauty therapist with "12 years experience" selling the Bluesky stuff. Shocking! And then she told ME to research it and that it was "Shellac you idiot!"

It's one thing the sellers selling it in bulk just to get on the Shellac rip off money-making band wagon, but it's another beauty therapists doing it as they "use CND products and want to keep to one brand"!!! Oh Lordy!!!!!! Disgraceful! If only there was a facility to strike people out of the beauty industry just like there is for medical professionals.

Joyelle, I'm in Tampa and some of the colors are already available in local CosmoProfs. Call your local CosmoProf and see if they've got any of the new colors in yet.

Ooo gr8nailz if only I knew you were from Tampa I could have come to you to have my nails done! I recently came back from florida... I couldn't beleive all the nail salons they had there!! x x x

Ooo gr8nailz if only I knew you were from Tampa I could have come to you to have my nails done! I recently came back from florida... I couldn't beleive all the nail salons they had there!! x x x

They're everywhere...practically every corner, right? I just assumed it was that way everywhere.

If you get back to Tampa, please look me up. I'd love to have a fellow geek come by! :D

They're everywhere...practically every corner, right? I just assumed it was that way everywhere.

If you get back to Tampa, please look me up. I'd love to have a fellow geek come by! :D

I've definately got you on my list to visit next time in Florida - we have friends in Zephyhills who we visit so not so far from you x :D

I've definately got you on my list to visit next time in Florida - we have friends in Zephyhills who we visit so not so far from you x :D

Awesome! I shall look forward to it!:D

Not to mention the idiots who sell "Shellac" on eBay. I came across a so called beauty therapist with "12 years experience" selling the Bluesky stuff. Shocking! And then she told ME to research it and that it was "Shellac you idiot!"

It's one thing the sellers selling it in bulk just to get on the Shellac rip off money-making band wagon, but it's another beauty therapists doing it as they "use CND products and want to keep to one brand"!!! Oh Lordy!!!!!! Disgraceful! If only there was a facility to strike people out of the beauty industry just like there is for medical professionals.

I've seen that bluesky stuff. How can people con others like this??
Vicki xx

Yea its crazy everywhere we went it was Acrylics here only $20!!!

I will definatly come and visit next time I am there :D x x x

Latest posts

Back