Feel like I'm addicted to eating and can't give up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mobile Manicure

Reaction score
Hi. As the title says, I cant stop eating, mostly snacking. It's all I think about, all day, what's the next thing I'm going to put in my mouth. :o

I've been down the WW, Slimming World route before and it works for about 3 to 4 weeks all the while obsessing about food even more. Then I give up and get back to the old ways.

I'm getting fatter. Much fatter. Not going to tell you how much but it ain't pretty. Husband very diplomatically pointed it out to me over the weekend. He wasn't being mean, just drew my attention to it. Told me i should perhaps try and do something about it to make me feel better. He knows how unhappy I'll be if I expand even more. I need help.

Yesterday I went for a 45 minute fast paced walk and was good most of the day, then binged at around 4pm and again at 9pm. Went on the walk again today, have an apple and banana ready for 4pm so fingers crossed.

It's not that I'm hungry, I just crave sugar and tasting food. I'm really not interested in some faddy diet as it's not something I can stick to. I just want to stop snacking, eat healthily and less and also do more exercise.

Anyone else going through anything similar? Would be nice to chat about it and help each other out. :D

Hi. As the title says, I cant stop eating, mostly snacking. It's all I think about, all day, what's the next thing I'm going to put in my mouth. :o

I've been down the WW, Slimming World route before and it works for about 3 to 4 weeks all the while obsessing about food even more. Then I give up and get back to the old ways.

I'm getting fatter. Much fatter. Not going to tell you how much but it ain't pretty. Husband very diplomatically pointed it out to me over the weekend. He wasn't being mean, just drew my attention to it. Told me i should perhaps try and do something about it to make me feel better. He knows how unhappy I'll be if I expand even more. I need help.

Yesterday I went for a 45 minute fast paced walk and was good most of the day, then binged at around 4pm and again at 9pm. Went on the walk again today, have an apple and banana ready for 4pm so fingers crossed.

It's not that I'm hungry, I just crave sugar and tasting food. I'm really not interested in some faddy diet as it's not something I can stick to. I just want to stop snacking, eat healthily and less and also do more exercise.

Anyone else going through anything similar? Would be nice to chat about it and help each other out. :D

I'm the same! When I'm not doing anything I eat! And only working part time in two jobs just now I have many times that I am in the house and just snack for something to do! I have put on 2 Stone since last march- i kid you not !!! From march Last year I was healthy eating - 1200 calories a day and at the gym everyday, after my full time job fell through, so had all the time in the world and felt great for it! It lasted until august and although I didn't lose any weight I gained alot of muscle and looked much better for it.. Still had work to do but seen it working.. I stopped in August as I started working 3 part time jobs instead of 1 and no longer had the time.. I finally went back after 7 months off it, in April and was going 2 days a week to ease myself back into it, I lasted 2 weeks before falling over a glass in a club and badly spraining my wrist, was in a splint for 4 weeks and told to rest it for another 4 weeks after.. Its now much better and only hurts sometimes but when I can't go with my best friend to the gym I go with my dad , as I need the competition and encouragement and chat whilst I'm there to keep me going ... My dad has been housebound for the past 2 weeks with sciatica and can barely walk and my friends been working loads in the run up to her going on holiday for two weeks today :(!!

I need motivation and no matter how disgusted I am at how I've let myself go I just eat more ? I genuinely think I may have a problem ?? Xx

I know exactly what you mean. I am a big time snacker. :o I am a stay at home mom that just started up my mobile business so I have loads of free time. I used to be so good about what I ate. I am sooooooo bad now. I have put on about 1 1/2 stone over the year. I would love to lose 2 stone. I do go to the gym. I do spin about 2-3 times a week and try to do a regular workout at least once a week. My eating is still rubbish though. I am a bit better than I used to be. I tried my fitness pal but I hate having to weigh my food so I stopped. Stupid reason to stop I know. Hopefully we can encourage each other to meet our goals.

I am a snack lover... I would prefer to eat/ pick at lots of little things than one big meal esp indian starters!

Im sure I could just eat chocolate all day everyday.

Problem is my metabolism is slowing, so i cant get away withvit for much longer.

I stopped drinking caffeinated tea/coffee so I've found around 8pm i 'slump' & snack.

I have 2 part time jobs & I'm mobile so i grab food on the go!

My weight gain has been slow but im noticing my clothes are getting tight & i refuse to buy the next size up, so i need to start watching what I eat otherwise il have no clothes ;)

Xx

I'm a boredom snacker! Just finished college so trying to find a job an my current job only consists of 1 day a week!! I'm trying to set up business from home but need a lot more money coming in first! If there's cheese an onion rolls in the fridge... They would be lucky to last a day or any sort of pastry snacks mmmm! It's so bad!! Haha xx

You need to balance your blood sugar.
3 meals and 2 snacks. Little good quality protein with each meal. Make sure your carbs are whole grain. Lots of salad, some fruit and plenty of water.

Nice to hear I'm not the only one out there. Thanks for your replies. I really think I have a mental problem re food. My apple has been devoured while lying in the sun. I'm mobile (as my name suggests) and this is a quiet week.

Might it be an idea if maybe as soon as we get the urge to raid the cupboard/fridge we pop onto this thread to get some encouragement to stay away from it.

I'm not going to weigh myself as I get completely obsessed with it and it really doesn't help my mindset. I'd be jumping on the scales after every meal. I thought perhaps measuring might be a better option. In inches. I've measured me waist and might do my thunderous thighs and jot it down and then have another go same time next week to see if there's a difference.

You need to balance your blood sugar.
3 meals and 2 snacks. Little good quality protein with each meal. Make sure your carbs are whole grain. Lots of salad, some fruit and plenty of water.

Good advice. Thank you. Will follow that (hopefully!)

Des anyone else get that faint feeling? Like Rinn says, when your sugar levels are dropping? What's the best and fastest way to overcome this without heading for the cookie jar?

Almonds!! Just a few or rice cakes with some hummus.

On the shopping list now!!! Thank you.

Try slimming world again I started that about 9 weeks ago now, I feel full all the time and it's the only diet that doesn't make me feel like I'm on a 'diet', i just love making everything tasting fresh and homemade so much nicer x

Try slimming world again I started that about 9 weeks ago now, I feel full all the time and it's the only diet that doesn't make me feel like I'm on a 'diet', i just love making everything tasting fresh and homemade so much nicer x

Not for the 7th time! It just doesn't suit me at all. I'm going to take the approach for more calories out than in. Have been reading the herbalife thread which is very interesting...no, I'm not going on it!!

Also the YouTube clip above, if you watch it, is telling me not to do slimming world again. It really made a lot of sense. Thank you for posting it Pappilion.

I'm a food addict, the thing that annoys me is it is an eating disorder but it is not considered one by doctors etc which is a joke! Anyway have you tried weight watchers on the new propoints plan? I've lost nearly 5 stone on it in a year x

No, not interested in weight watchers. Thanks anyway. I've been doing it on and off for 25 years and every time I come off it I gain another stone. I can't get into following anything restrictive. My willpower is gone now.

I need to follow an eating plan I can follow for life and all I can think of is just eating healthier, less sugary snacks and more exercise. It makes perfect sense, I just need to implement it into my daily routine.

I just want to be normal, like all my friends. How come they're not fat? Cos they're not eating what their body doesn't need, whereas I am. I'm the fattest woman on the street and feel miserable about it. I'm the fattest among my friends and don't want to go out with them for a night out cos I'm the "fat one" and they're all glamorous, wearing skinny jeans and full of confidence.

And yes, I think it's an eating disorder too. It's definitely all in my head, feeding for comfort, feeding cos I'm miserable due to being fat, feeding cos I have a lack of confidence, feeding, feeding, feeding.

Sorry for the rambling but I'm finding it therapeutic getting it all down, what I've never been able to tell people close to me.

Hey I was in the same position as you I am on medication which messes with your sugar levels and appetite and went from at 10 to a 20 in a matter of months. I think you need to see a doctor, obviously I don't know how big you are but being big can really make you unhealthy and you could have developed a physical problem that is making you eat more. Make an appointment with your GP. You could have binge eating problem, once you go down the doctors route maby the only thing you could do is try for obesity surgery. I know women who have don't it through NHS and its maby something you could consider. I've lost weight through slimming world and excersize now but to be honest I don't have any kids or other half and can be selfish and concentrate on myself. Many it's time to go down the medical route, please don't take offence. Xxxxx

Try www.dietbuddies.co.uk i was struggling to loose baby weight, had there meals/shakes (3 a day) lost the weight quickly & it has stayed off! I watch what i eat but can still eat takeaways etc...if i ever put any weight on ill just go on them again for 1-2 weeks! Inbox me if u want any info x

Simple. Dont have trigger foods in the house. I am a binge eater ( it is a recognised eating disorder), but I am a size 10.
I find eating three healthy meals a day stops me binging. If I starve or eat something just because I think its "low fat" then I feel deprived and reach for the sweats/bread/cheese. Like you I have done every diet club in the world but if they really worked then they would be victims of their own success and go out of business.
Here is a sample day (I was a size 18 and 16 stone.I am now 9.7.)
Breakfast is bowl of porrige (as much as I like) with fruit and milk or boiled egg and soldiers or a bacon sandwich ( 1 slice wholemeal bread, lean bacon grillled toms)
Snack of fruit or cream cheese and ryveta or both if I feel like it
Home made soup (I cook batches and freeze it) with wholegrain bread
Fruit or almonds/brazils or both
Home made spaghetti bol with wholewheat pasta.
I eat cake if I want cake, I make sure its proper cake though as if I try to substitute a slice of my mums chocolate fudge cake with a slice of incipit weight watchers stuff I will feel deprived and binge. Because I know that if I want cake I am allowed it I dont crave it and binge on it or think "ive had a slice so I might as well have tge whole thing"!

My biggest rule is avoid fake food. Fake bread (bleached white bread) fake sugar (sweetener makea you fat and messes with your head making you crave sugar) fake juice (coke! Sprite etc)! 90% of what I eat is organic so I feel clean and it puts me off eating greasy take away as once you have eaten a locally produced grass reared steak nothing compares lol.

I do exercise too but again in moderation as if I force myself I dont go lol

Sorry for long winded reply but I freaking love food, I am passionate about it, its all I think about all day (like you) but I have turned it in to a positive thing. Thinking " ohh how can I make that delicious curry but without the fat"? Lol

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek

Thanks Nearlyme, your post was very helpful. Good on you for losing all that weight! How long did it take? What you've said makes perfect sense. What you do is something you can do for the rest of your life. Clubs, shakes, etc are all short term and fail in the end.

I bought wholemeal bread today, I usually buy white. God knows why, i actually love brown. I don't really eat pasta but when the occasion arises I will buy wholewheat. I'm only drinking tea, coffee and water. Hate sweeteners. Dont have sugar in my tea/coffee, never have.

I had a meltdown tonight and popped some popcorn...not from a microwave but the proper raw stuff on the stove so I could monitor the oil amount used. I've also had 2 fingers of kitkat but feel satisfied now. It could have been a lot worse. It's usually 2 slices of toast or pitta bread dripping in butter, 4 custard cream biscuits, some crisps and then a glass of wine.

My meals during the day are fine, it's just ALL that stuff in-between.
Tomorrow going to cut out the popcorn and just have the 2 fingers of kitkat as a treat with a cup of tea.

No need for drastic surgery. Im 5'8 and need to lose about 4 stone. I'm obese but not morbidly. Yet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back