Feeling down..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kerrymarie

Reaction score
So you've probably all read my blogs and saw all the arguing, well,my livingsocial deal didn't go down very well.. i only sold 49 which means when i get paid that money in 3 weeks, it's all going for my rent of the room as i owe them 2 months! I'm lucky they're so nice and understand what its like, but i cant go on like this forever, my rent is only £80 a week and most week i'm not even making that!!

Things are sort of getting better.. this week if all my appointments turn up i will have made around 160 so thats better than 50 like normal, i've also had about 3 people say they found me on google and rang up and booked in. but i heard August is always a slow month? Is this what you've found?

I know everyone told me these deals were bad but to start with my kgb made my whole 'income' increase by 200%, so that was good, however livingsocial has been a bit of a fail.

I've tried doing the deals myself, i have a board outside and i group text my deals to everyone, but the area im in there is NO footfall at all, maybe the odd man but nothing to really get people in. I should be about 500 yards up the road, so i don't know how to get those people down to me?

A few people have rebooked from my deals but yeah they're only looking for cheap deals and many don't rebook.

I'm going to do another deal for october i think, but by myself, through group texting all my clients, probably a manicure for £9 or something?!

I guess i just pinned all my hopes on selling 300 vouchers through livingsocial like they thought i would, and 49 is big disappointment!! Now i will have no money to do proper advertising!

I've done leaflets dropping, group texts, handing out leaflets in the streets, got my website, twitter, Facebook page, on most of the free listings, done my kgb which was good, contacted local businesses about raffle prizes etc but no-one seems interested and i'm just looking into the bristol evening post and doing 'coupon tuesday' where you offer either buy 1 get 1 free, or 50% off all treatments and then you get in for free i think.

Does anyone have any (nice) advice of which i haven't tried? I have read the thread on promoting your business and tried pretty much all of it!

ive been feeling really disheartened this week as well, been so quiet the past two weeks that it makes me worry! im finding facebook works for me but i need to put time into it, i upload pics, post status updates with my offers, and advertise that i have appointments available. i also add loads of people then find i get random adds in return from people seeing my page pop up on their friends pages. i went from having 20 of my own friends on it to having 197 in just a couple of weeks. im new to this so havent tried many other advertising ways, i have got business cards which i have given to friends to put in their work and also have them sat in the local sunbeds. ive ordered leaflets to do a drop as well and hope that works. i know its hard but try not to lose hope :) ive read loads of times on here that august is slow and i think thats right, people are just back from holidays or just going, theyve got school uniforms to buy... theres always something! try to keep your chin up hun :) xx

you live and learn! I have had four different business's now, a cafe, a carwash, a mobile valeting co and now have just gone mobile doing beauty therapy and spray tanning. I qualified in beauty therapy over 10 years ago. Every business is the same, no matter how many leaflets you post or adverts you do or special offers you promote the best way of making your business grow is word of mouth and recomendations. Use your local business's and get to know staff. I have a mobile hairdresser and she promotes me, I have also started buying clothes from the local clothes shop to try and get to know the young girls that work there. When my kids go back to school I will ask their teachers to give my leaflets out to parents for me and will also offer to get involved in christmas fairs etc. I have only just started beauty therapy again, but business principles will all be the same. DONT GIVE UP! just learn from your mistakes, maybe think about relocating if that would help? Hope this helps it is awful when you have a crappy time. All the luck in the world xx:hug:

:hug:

Last week with all the cancellations I made a measley £8. :eek:

Well I'm in my 5th week, and last week was just hideous, and this week isn't great either but a whole lot better than last. I'm a Home Salon though.

At the end of August my introductory offer ends... I'm terrified, will they come back? Won't they? Anyway, I'm not doing any more offers , but on my website.... yet to perfect, I am requesting Models for specific treatments I need to practise on at cut down prices, but not advertising this on leaflets just referring them to my website and long-term pricelist.

I'm not sure if you have found this, but the ones letting me down, seem to be taking advantage of the low prices, then book themselves £60 worth of treatments, then suddenly let me down, probably realising they can't afford it (after all these people are obviously bargain hunters).

The sooner I am out of introductory offer, the better, I think, I hope... and if not, well, I don't want to think that that is an option.

Just a thought:
If there is footfall 500 metres up the yards up the road then get up there......you can go to them if they don't go past you.
Obviously I don't mean set up treatments, but go and say hello, give out leaflets, offer to show them your salon etc etc
hth

Hi All,

I am new to this site & new the beauty world - mind you all i do is lashing but its working well for me.

This week too i am finding it very quite, the last number of weeks from June up to now has neen mental busy, however i had 2 bookings this week & both cancelled yesterday when i sent them a reminder text for there appointments.

I just got flyers made up (last week)which i need to post door to door,place in local shops etc- the weather has been extremly bad here in Dublin plenty of rain so i havent gotten out to start my deliverying.
I do think the FB account will help so i am looking into this & my mother has been a great help & ordered me some new business cards.

I just need to get the motivation to get back up & say lets kick some ass!! & know that i am good & what i do - & i am sure you are too,i think it just a bad week for us all, so lets keep our chins up & think positive.

Hopefully things will pick up for you & that you start getting more work in, i think the idea of going down to the football & meeting & greeting is a great idea too,once you get one of the lads in the door - he will tell his mates etc so go get them :D? Its worth a shot aint it!!

All the best Ruthybabiee

Doesn't sound like the best advice but if you have a Facebook page I find laying low for a little while makes people more intrigued about what you might be doing. I was the same when I first went self employed thinking of as many offers I could do to get people in, but soon people will just expect that off you then. Depending on how often your texting deals people might get bored of them and not even read them.

I'd recommend doing a 10% off day (midweek)
Do your own living social deal thing on facebook "we are giving away 10, 10% off codes this week! Inbox to receive yours before they all go!" only give 10 out and do this once every 6 weeks or something?
Upload pictures of what you do like your nails and toes etc.
I lie sometimes and put "1 appointment has become available today for a set of twinkle toes, inbox before it goes!" this will make clients think your busy and get it ASAP!

I would lay low for a week or so on Facebook. Reply to clients obviously but don't put any deals on. After all "treat them mean to keep them keen" :p

They'll soon wonder where you've disappeared too and will be inboxing you!

I am feeling exactly the same but I don't just want clients that want cheap bargain treatments! I want loyal regular clients! I don't want to lower my prices and devalue what I do but am really struggling. I have tried fb and twitter as everyone says this is where most of their business from, but it's just not working for me. ;-(

Have you read Lynne Baker's thread about promoting your business?

Would you have the confidence to do networking such as Athena or Ladies who Latte?

I'm really stuck for advertising too. I only opened 3 weeks ago but this week is really quiet and I'm starting to panick as I have rent to pay!
Rhiannon x

I'm going to make a suggestion that is against my normal advice.

Get another job?

I don't mean give up your beauty business but maybe get another job Mon - Weds and work for yourself Thurs - Sat and evenings?

That way you will have some income to pay your personal expenses and hopefully to invest in marketing too.

How about do a 2 for 1 deal, I ran these when I opened 5 yrs ago and I still run similar promotions but more like buy one get one half price but I space it out. I put my opening offer on leaflets and had all the girls deliver by foot while the builders where still in the salon.

The builders weren't impressed as they had loads of ladies poping their heads in asking when we were opening and how they could book, but i was delighted cos it got the business known and drew in some clients.

I offered a buy one get one free, book any treatment before mid december and get the same treatment free in jan or feb (i opened at the end of oct) this also helped me get some clients back in the quieter months following xmas.

I ran a similar offer this year with facials. Have a facial in jan and get the same half price in feb. Wow did we do a lot of facials in jan.

There are loads of ways to promote your business you just need to be a bit forward thinking or look at large successful companies and take inspiration from them.

good luck you just need to keep plugging away at it.

Keep going, to even get this far in business and actually start earning anything is a major achievement!

One quick thing, if the main footfall is 500m away, could you invest in an A board (cheap ish one to start off amazon.co.uk and have some offers printed/written on there with a big arrow pointing in the direction of your business sayin 'only x mtrs this way'?

Stay strong and best of luck!

Latest posts

Back