Feet & Rubber Gloves!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Me too. Mine are regular blue nitrile ones. Gr8nailz, you have disposable pink ones??

I ALWAYS wear gloves for pedis...pretty pink ones...ALWAYS! Feet are so neglected. I've seen countless incidents of fungal infections on toes and toenails that I've not seen on fingernails. I've even seen mold!

I've never encountered a client that was offended. They appreciated the extra precaution. One client said, as best as I can remember, "I love the fact that you guys wear gloves. I'd hate to think that you were touching me with the same bare hands that touched someone else's disgusting feet. I don't care how many times you washed your hands. That would just freak me out."

I am and feel the same way! Minus the pink gloves, mine are plain white ;) and I have given similar responses on several occasions.

want. pink. gloves!

want. pink. gloves!

I've seen pink and purple nitrile disposables available on loads on UK medical and dental websites and I want!

Have a google search for Canadian suppliers and hopefully you'll find some xx

I have lilac and pink ones which we use for extractions mainly and I found them on a medical supply website, can't remember the name but if you google you will find something I am sure.

They sell pink ones at Sallys so I'm sure they do at other suppliers too.

In with nailnewbie on this. I was taught not to use gloves but really I just wouldn't treat someone with a contagious infection. It's just not safe.

However, after doing 2 pedis in a row the other day my hands started to get sore from the scrub so I've been debating it for a while but now I will def wear gloves until massage. I never want to be left with that sore hands again! :( x

Reflexologists can't wear gloves or they would never feel anything.
I can understand when cutting toenails or using nippers but from a drawing blood point of view.But if you are worried about fungal infection then when you take the gloves off to do the massage you are then at risk again.

So to those that wear gloves do you massage the feet wearing gloves or not and if you dont then why not because with the concerns you have it wouldn't make sense for you to not wear them from start to finish including the massage.

Last edited:
Reflexologists can't wear gloves or they would never feel anything.
I can understand when cutting toenails or using nippers but from a drawing blood point of view.But if you are worried about fungal infection then when you take the gloves off to do the massage you are then at risk again.

So to those that wear gloves do you massage the feet wearing gloves or not and if you dont then why not because with the concerns you have it wouldn't make sense for you to not wear them from start to finish including the massage.

Exactly what I was thinking!! I don't see the difference, it's just as dangerous or contiguous .
Is a massage less relaxing with gloves on? Is that why you remove them?

I haven't done any pedi's yet though I am trained but looking to offer it. My feet are awful they are dry and cracked. I am always bare foot around the house bleaching floors and the walking over the wet floors. I am not a very good walking advert at all. I never pay any attention to my own feet except to paint my toe nails But my feet are very clean. But looking at some peoples feet they are very dirty, I think it reflects how they live, sorry if that sounds snooty but I wouldn't want to touch them with a barge pole.

I wear them during the massage :)

When you do the masage, do the gloves not drag on the skin? I'm only thinking from an unrelated point of putting on tan ( I do my friends every week and have been for over a year!) and the gloves do drag along the skin with the product. This is just a general curiosity question :) which I have a habit of doing :)

Not at all. I use CND marine hydrating oil and its nice and slick.

Not at all. I use CND marine hydrating oil and its nice and slick.

Ooooh lovely, I guess the oil makes a huge difference ( I'm using a lotion at the moment)

I'm glad I read this thread, it has really made me think :) Which is great because I love info and new perspectives on things.

I know we have clashed before with hygiene concerns but this is not an im getting at you question, so please do not take it as such, im just trying to understand the reason behind the rhyme and it is directed at all therapists that wear gloves throughout the whole treatment.

What are you exactly concerned about that you may get or spread after you have done your tool work and checked , sanitised, soaked and scrubbed feet to feel you have to wear gloves to do massage.

Do you avoid the feet in a body massage or put gloves on.
I would say it is totally uneccessary at that point and would interfere with the treatment for the client, skin contact surely feels so much nicer.

Last edited:
This is a really interesting thread!

I did a BTEC at college and gloves were never mentioned in regards to mani/pedi. I have honestly never considered them and i've been a working therapist for 7 years now.

We were taught to use them during intimate & underarm waxing and electrolysis, but nothing else.

I personally like to be able to feel the skin. I know this sounds a bit strange lol, but i do. Especially when i'm filing or finding rough patches. I know other people prefer to be visual, but that's just me.

Luckily i have never had any problems with catching anything.

I have a footsie bath, so disposable liners, sanitise my tools and put them in a UV cabinet and as well as washing my hands, use some sanitising hand gel before and after clients.

I have messed up my polish before when removing someone else's polish though!

My poor head is confuddled :( We were taught that on intial consultation if any client had a contraindication that stopped service you just didn't do it ie. fungal infection/verruca/open cut or sore and advised them to visit their GP if neccessary.

So there would be no need for gloves during a treatment for safety reasons.

Am I totally missing a point here,due to misinformation and/or inadequete training, or simply missreading the posts :(

Youre dead right. In training we are advised to wear gloves. Not to protect you from a fungal infection etc it's the same with manicures. Gloves are to be worn until cuticle work has been done due to using sharp tools. I myself don't use them as I find they get in the way.
There's no way I would knowingly give a manicure, or pedicure treatment on a client with a fungal infection and would be disgusted to think my feet were soaking in a pedi bath that had a client with an infection previously.
A fungal infection is a contra-indication that PREVENTS treatment

I know we have clashed before with hygiene concerns but this is not an im getting at you question, so please do not take it as such, im just trying to understand the reason behind the rhyme and it is directed at all therapists that wear gloves throughout the whole treatment.

What are you exactly concerned about that you may get or spread after you have done your tool work and checked , sanitised, soaked and scrubbed feet to feel you have to wear gloves to do massage.

Do you avoid the feet in a body massage or put gloves on.
I would say it is totally uneccessary at that point and would interfere with the treatment for the client, skin contact surely feels so much nicer.

I'm protecting myself and my clients from unseen dangerous things.

When I did massage, which I have a two year degree in, I wore gloves for the feet. You can't sterilize skin. It's incredibly naive to think sanitizer will protect you.

I don't give a flying youknowwhat if it feels nicer, and almost everyone of my clients feels safer with me wearing gloves.

To be honest gloves sound good to me:)
What if the client did have something that can't be seen especially feet they are dirty:p

Really?!

Massage with gloves is horrible ... I have stopped treatments when the therapist was wearing gloves refusing to allow them to continue.

Massage and what we do is about touch, it is the power of touch that heals. Latex, nitrile, vinyl, vitrile - no matter what gloves you use or what oil you use it still won't feel very nice.

If you are worried about catching something would you wear gloves for any massage treatments.

I don't mind receiving massage with gloves, leg massage to be precise. Vinyl gloves are good.

Really?!

Massage with gloves is horrible ... I have stopped treatments when the therapist was wearing gloves refusing to allow them to continue.

Massage and what we do is about touch, it is the power of touch that heals. Latex, nitrile, vinyl, vitrile - no matter what gloves you use or what oil you use it still won't feel very nice.

If you are worried about catching something would you wear gloves for any massage treatments.

Did you read the thread? :green:

I have many reasons for my wearing gloves, most importantly being
A) I have anaphylactic allergies that require me to carry an epi-pen at all times
B) To protect myself
C) To protect my clients
D) To protect my own nails

And yes I wore gloves during foot treatments when I was working as a massage therapist.

I guess I won't be seeing you in my salon any time soon. But don't worry, my book is filled anyways. ;)

Latest posts

Back