fibreglass attempted and disappointed, any tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ami_babi

Reaction score
Hey, i attempted my assessment on fibreglass nails yesterday at college, after 40mins i only had 5nails done :S ::EEEEK:: She extended our time by 20mins over the salon time of 1hr 15mins/1hr 30mins and by this time i had managed to really rush the other 5nails which is bad i know....... It took me the longest because i didnt want to burn the skin with the activator and all around me i could hear people saying it was burning.
In the end i still failed..... My commercial timing was out :( (im not too worried about this as i think that to do commercial timing on my first attempt would be impossible) but my tutor said i had been a bit resin happy :(

Any tips on how to save time on things like cutting the fibreglass to fit to allow me more time on the actual resin and activator timing, and of course finishing off the nail.
Just any tips on fibreglass would make my day :D

Fibreglass can be really fiddley and, like all other systems, takes practice to get proficient in it. I would say, read all the tutorials on the site and practice practice practice on anyone willing to let you.

Don't be too disheartened - you'll soon improve and it won't look so daunting.

thanks, i shall search the tutorials now, Theyre so helpful...i had a little go of nail art the other day and suprised myself :D i was having so much fun ive had to buy another box of tips i got a bit carried away.

Also if i wanted to buy a fibreglass kit to practice with where would be the best place to look, i tend to stick to Sallys, EWD (beauty suppliers) or NSINails, but if anyone can recommend a good kit but im also on a tight budget (single parent and all that jazz) and my friend said she spent £70 on a kit, and this to me is just way out of my price range.

When I was learning fibreglass I used to cut my fabric into small strips then make one end rounded to fit against the cuticle. Then I used to peel them off with my stork scissors and attach to the nail. I found this to be less fiddly than trying to cut the fibreglass/silk whilst on the nail.

Also, don't put too much resin on, you can always add a bit more if needed. The only time the activator will burn is if it you spray it to closely. Another little tip is after you have activated, wait a few seconds before going onto the next nail, that way you are less likely to get runs.

Hope this helps

Thanks, all around me were peoples clients saying "ooooh that burns" so i was taking my time to use the products very carefully, even though its my mum and i can say "shhhhhhhh or you will fail me" lol i find that cheating myself.
I like the tip about the 3 strips, i do like that idea, as i was spending alot of time trying to cut one strip to fit. maybe im trying to run before i can walk?

Thanks so much for your advice geeks, i dont know where id be without you!

To save time.

Cut ALL your strips of fibre at the same time ( Not one finger at a time).
Lay them out just like you do your tips ready to apply.
Apply to all 10 nails that are prepped, tipped and based and ready to go.
You do not need to take ages cutting the strips of fibre ... as long as the fibre fits down the middle of the nail with a free margin at the sides, you do not have to measure exactly .. this should be a very quick thing to do.

Apply your resin to 5 nails at a time and activate in one hit. Your resin should never be so thick that it runs anywhere.

It is not just spraying too close that causes a heat spike. Applying too much resin also causes a heat spike.

Thanks geeg thats great advice i'll try that out, it seems to be the quickest way ever :D and im hoping i will have my next assessment passed :) I'll get a pic of them too as i didnt last night.

I didnt know they didnt have to be a perfect fit, i thought it had to be a clear cut straight around the shape of the nail, cut to fit tailor made fibreglass haha no wonder it took me so long to trim it.

I love you guys and gals, id be bald if it werent for your help!

Thanks minkus i love to see the pictures as it helps me to understand what to look for in my nails :)

Here's what they should look like!:green:

Attachments

• Fabric Hero 72.jpg
    Fabric Hero 72.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 129
oh my goodness, they look fantastic, i cant wait to show you mine in 2weeks haha we can have a giggle.
Thanks your all so helpful.

Here's what they should look like!:green:

Geeg ... every time I see this pic it blows my mind !!

This is the true epitome of what nail enhancements SHOULD be.

However close I look, I cannot imagine how you've applied the 'more than white' to these nails ... without any visible sign. You did apply more than white, didn't you? (If not, then which tips are you using - as they look neither natural or white?)

you can also buy fibreglass that is pre-cut (different widths) and rounded on one end, your first coat of resin should be so thin that it can't possibly run anywhere (it almost dries by itself)

Do you use brush on resin or nozzle? I find the brush on much easier to manage and you dont get drips or have to worry about squeezing the air from the bottle (burping) before you start.

Hi there,

Have got lots of help from the geeks about Fibregalss. I also use the brush on resin and the pre-cut fibreglass strips, does work a bit quicker. Also with the brush on resin you definately don't get any runs. I tend to do four fingers on one hand then activate, 4 on other then activate then the two thumbs. Saying that it is still taking me one and a half hours or so to do.

Good Luck.

Geeg ... every time I see this pic it blows my mind !!

This is the true epitome of what nail enhancements SHOULD be.

However close I look, I cannot imagine how you've applied the 'more than white' to these nails ... without any visible sign. You did apply more than white, didn't you? (If not, then which tips are you using - as they look neither natural or white?)

Vicky, I did not use More Than White in this image. I tend not to do the French thing in most of my photographic work as my 'thing' is to make enhancements that look natural.

I used Velocity tips with the well cut completely out and then blended. I have many ways of getting enhancements to look how I want them to look that are not necessarily the way we teach in classes. :eek: By the way, this image was completely as it was done .. NOtouch ups. That is my other thing, to do work that does not need to be retouched ... it is a pride thing with me, so when you see my work it is real. Glad ou like it.

Vicky, I did not use More Than White in this image. I tend not to do the French thing in most of my photographic work as my 'thing' is to make enhancements that look natural.

I used Velocity tips with the well cut completely out and then blended. I have many ways of getting enhancements to look how I want them to look that are not necessarily the way we teach in classes. :eek: By the way, this image was completely as it was done .. NOtouch ups. That is my other thing, to do work that does not need to be retouched ... it is a pride thing with me, so when you see my work it is real. Glad ou like it.

Ah I have wondered about this (touch ups I mean)

I have started taking pics of my nails as it makes it easier to see the faults etc.

Have to say that mine would need 2 weeks in a photo shop to look like these !!!:)

Just had another look ... they are the most natural looking nails I've ever seen and totally flawless too (makes me want to get rid of my french and reapply velocity tips!).

Latest posts

Back