File control!! Part 4 – During the Rebalance

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
Hope you find part 4 useful to you. I have also posted it in the Geek tutorial I think we'll start on brush control next!!

File control!! Part 4 – During the Rebalance

The rebalance is the procedure most often carried out by nail technicians. Many new technicians are surprised at just how long this process takes.

The rebalance actually is a relatively quick process if there are no problems to correct, but enhancements are not indestructible and inevitably problems such as breakages and lifting can occur during the time between appointments. These things should not however be the norm, but rather the exception.

For instance, you should not have to thin the cuticle area during a rebalance other than to tidy up the area and check that all the edges are sealed, as it should already be so thin you cannot tell where it joins the new growth of the natural nail. You should not have to ‘thin out’ or remove half the product on the enhancement before reapplying … only in the areas you need to adjust.

A normal rebalance should be about assessing the nails and then maintaining them with an eye to preventing future problems rather than correcting present ones.

This tutorial is to emphasise a different method of using your abrasive to get the job done quickly and efficiently. Many technicians do far more filing during the rebalance than is necessary. Remember, filing for long periods of time when there is no need is boring for everyone!! Let’s avoid it where we can. Lots of filing = lot of dust. It is good to work with an eye to reducing dust and not creating it. Lots of filing can = unnecessary trauma to the natural nail. Lets avoid it where we can.

Firstly start by using a good sharp new abrasive always for the rebalance - makes the job much faster and easier. I use a 180x240 grit abrasive.

How to tackle the dreaded problem of removing lifted material.

One thing you must look at first, is whether or not you are seeing more lift on your clients’ nails than you should be. It is common for amateurs to get lifting at the sides and the cuticle area because they go too near, or they touch the skin with the product in the first place. Sometimes the lift is due to product being applied to thickly (another part of the learning curve). Keep a small margin around the nail plate free of product when you apply. Work with less product and lifting will become a thing of the past, or at least a rarity.

Many technicians spend much energy and time ‘chasing the line’ of lifted material down the nail plate, filing and filing until half the product has been removed. There is no need.

Do you know why you are chasing the line down the nail??? Because you are filing ON TOP of the area that is already lifted instead of filing on the part of the enhancement that is still adhered firmly to the nail!! This creates unsightly and unsanitary ‘fill lines’ which remain visible on the completed nail.

When you file on top of the lifted product, which is ALREADY loose, you just shake loose everything below where you are filing and end up
chasing the line until you reach an area where the product is thicker and so therefore will not shake loose so easily. What a waste of time and effort. What a chore!

If you concentrate instead, on filing just BELOW the lifted area (where the product is firmly attached), you won't loosen anything further and when you ‘break through’ to the natural nail, the lifted bit will just pop off and there will be NO fill lines and No nail damage either. Get it??

Take this little gem of information - use it - and your life as a nail technician will be changed forever.

MOST technicians when faced with a rebalance look at the nails and head straight for the problem area on each one - i.e. the lift if there is any. And yes, if that is what you do then removing the lifted material by filing thru the product immediately would be time consuming. BUT if you tackle the rebalance Zone by Zone - in the same way as you would apply the product or thin and blend a tip, then the whole job is quicker and more efficient.

Change your mind set … dare to think in a different way and, ’hey presto’ job’s easy.

Start at Zone 1 (the tip) first, shorten it, thin it and reshape it.

Then move on to zone2 (the stress area) thinning it slightly and checking carefully for any cracks, bare spots or weak spots. If all is well, move on to zone 3.

When you get to zone 3 (the cuticle area which is already the thinnest zone anyway, and where the lift will normally be if there is any) you will already have been thinning it as your abrasive has moved up and down, during the process of preparing zones 1 & 2, so the product will already be partially thinned when you start to work in this area.

Use the 180 side to do the bulk of the work, and switch to the 240 side as you get nearer to the natural nail and the last bit of lifted material will flake away. Carefully and gently blend any ledge of product seamlessly into the nail plate. Remember to keep the abrasive moving firmly and evenly so as not to cause any fires!!

After you have reapplied your new product, your rebalanced nails will look like a brand new set.

fantastic - as are the other parts. thanks for taking the time to help us all.

Wonderful - this will help immensely, a great big thank you.

Thanks for this...another great post..as I spend my time working all other the nail....Now I've read this it just makes perfect sence when you explain it...

Im printing out all these tutorials - Rebalancing is my DREAD! i was never even shown a long winded way let alone a quicker and more efficient way and so i have always been unsure of what i am supposed to do exactly. This has helped me a lot. I am planning on doing the rebalance course and im sure my questions will be answered then but can you tell me a bit about permanent french rebalances? do you just thin the bit above the smile line a bit more and reapply there? Thanks very much x

Aspirations said:
Im printing out all these tutorials - Rebalancing is my DREAD! i was never even shown a long winded way let alone a quicker and more efficient way and so i have always been unsure of what i am supposed to do exactly. This has helped me a lot. I am planning on doing the rebalance course and im sure my questions will be answered then but can you tell me a bit about permanent french rebalances? do you just thin the bit above the smile line a bit more and reapply there? Thanks very much x
Many people again do way more than is necessary to complete the French Rebalance. The object of he FRB is to replace the old smile line with a nice new one in the correct position. There fore, all that is necessary, as you indicate, is to thin out the area where the new smileline is going. (If you are going to add product anywhere, you must first remove or thin or else the nails would just get thicker and thicker.) So....

First start at zone 1 and shorten and thin out and reshape the free edge then move to zone 2 and thin out where the new smile is going, then to zone 3 and prepare as normal.

When applying the new smile line ... you only need a very small amount of product to make the new smile (remember it is going to sit on top of old product so work with a much smaller bead here so the nail does not look chunky in the zone 2 area), then just smooth the new product into the existing old white product. You are not trying to cover the whole of zone 1 again, there is no need. Then replace zone two and fill in zone 3. Of course you must do your usual check to make sure the sides of zone 1 are firmly clamped to the natural nail that is growing out underneath. This will ensure no curling away of the natural nail. Make sure you do not file away the 'clamp' when finishing off.

The most common fault on the part of the technician when doing a FRB is to use way too much product. The result is a fat looking nail instead of the sleek look you are trying to achieve.

it all makes perfect sense when you explain it geeg!

thanks geeg, that was how I was imagining it. I can do perfect nails in my head, its just putting them into practise that i struggle with!! lol the first time i did this i ended up with a house brick on each finger and soaked the whole lot off! luckily it was my guinea pig but i was still embarrased. I was trying to put the whole of the white back on not just the smile. Do you know if i will cover FRB in the real rebalancing class?
What would we do without you???

Thanks Geeg, once again a very helpful tutorial, doing it all backwards now and loving it! When is your book coming out? You'd make a fortune!

Regards

Aspirations said:
thanks geeg, that was how I was imagining it. I can do perfect nails in my head, its just putting them into practise that i struggle with!! lol the first time i did this i ended up with a house brick on each finger and soaked the whole lot off! luckily it was my guinea pig but i was still embarrased. I was trying to put the whole of the white back on not just the smile. Do you know if i will cover FRB in the real rebalancing class?
What would we do without you???
Again, you asked the same question I was gonna ask!what would we do without Geeg?! I'm hoping to get some Creative one to one time soon, if I get the grant I applied for! Then I'll be able to see all this in action. In the mean time, I'll be printing & practising these methods!

Thanks again, Geeg, you are wonderful! (Itching to see the brush control start!)

As an experienced technician (I hope! ;) ) and an author of textbooks, these tutorials from Geeg are invaluable!

This sort of detail is actually 'post graduate' as it includes the subtle 'nuances' that take a good tech (good basic education) to being a great tech. It is the sort of teaching that should be paid for and us 'geeks' are getting it for free.

I am sure Gigi believes that it is what should be taught from the beginning but we both know what makes 'good basic education' and what makes a 'master'!

It is the level of training that Geeg has set up and is being continued and improved by GMG. It is also a very good example of what will make this industry a much better place to be and earn all you Geeks a lot more money and pride in your work.

Marian

mum said:
As an experienced technician (I hope! ;) ) and an author of textbooks, these tutorials from Geeg are invaluable!

This sort of detail is actually 'post graduate' as it includes the subtle 'nuances' that take a good tech (good basic education) to being a great tech. It is the sort of teaching that should be paid for and us 'geeks' are getting it for free.

I am sure Gigi believes that it is what should be taught from the beginning but we both know what makes 'good basic education' and what makes a 'master'!

It is the level of training that Geeg has set up and is being continued and improved by GMG. It is also a very good example of what will make this industry a much better place to be and earn all you Geeks a lot more money and pride in your work.

Marian
Well I have to say a big fat thank you for that, Marian, I am honoured by your comments. X

love you gigi!!!:D

without all the advice you hand out i would be doing re-balncing for hours (on one person!)

thank you for really helping me (and everyone else) and ultimatley making us all great techs!

Well I put it into practice today :)

Was about to go straight for the lifting (I know! I shouldnt have any lol) then stopped ... reread geeg's thread (in my head) and went for shortening then zone 1 etc ... not saying I was perfect first time lol but damn it works! ;) :biggrin:
Thanks Geeg :)
Jo xx

Just a note to add, if you are not sure your line is gone, a quick wipe with scrub fresh, or the sanitiser that goes with your brand will give you a "finished" look. If you cant see the line while wet with sanitiser, you wont see the line when you are finished.:idea: Helps keep things clean and prevent possible infection too.

Geeg, you are great!!!

Just wanted to say thanks Geeg for all your tutorials, i have to say with rebalancing i too always went straight for any lift that i had. Then went to thinning zones 1 and 2.

Why i always felt i had to do it the wrong way round i'll never know. I think we all just needed the reminder of what to do, so thanks for that.

I have tried this and it works so well, as the simple things do.:biggrin:

Thanks so much for sharing with us all :)

The problem i find when rebalancing, is unless i completly remove all of the white in zone 1 you can see a difference in colour.
Please help :cry:

Some products are not very colour stable, and this can be a problem for those who use them when doing a Permanent French Rebalance.

I can only tell you, that my chosen system does not change colour from one month to the next so for me this is not a problem.

If you choose to stay with the product line you are using, then you will have to adapt and replace the whole of zone 1 ... shame ..much more work, dust, time and effort.

Using the best quality products you can afford, definitely helps the technician in his/her job.

geeg,

I do use creative l&p, but when i thin out a little of the pink to replace the smile line, the white doesn't look as bright. does that make sense?

eroom said:
geeg,

I do use creative l&p, but when i thin out a little of the pink to replace the smile line, the white doesn't look as bright. does that make sense?
Why did I just know you were going to say you used Creative!! :lol:

When doing the FRB use your white a little more dry to get the same colour as that which is on the tip. The white does not discolour, so you are defo working too thin, or too wet or maybe both!!

Another problem can be that you put on the white, only to file it right off again when you are finishing!! :cry: I suggest that you thin a bit more before you start you application and then work a tad drier.

The nail when completed, before finishing, should be the desired thickness of the finished nail so that you do not have to do any more than smoothing and shining to finish it off.

Work with your brush Not your file!!

Latest posts

Back