Fish foot spa virus bombshell

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadisonsMummy

Reaction score
anyone read about this in the sun this morning?
xx

I would gouge out my own eyes before I ever read that paper, or the Deadly Mail for that matter!! However, it has been on the radio news and I just caught a bit about it on BBC news.

Anyone like to share the actual story?

Found this.....

TRENDY fish pedicures could spread HIV and hepatitis C, officials warned last night.
The Health Protection Agency said risks from the foot-nibbling treatment are "low but could not be completely excluded".

Although it has been sensationalised by The Sun.......reminding me why I never buy it !!

Last edited:
I haven't heard about it but I am glad that someone finally speaks up about the fish foot spas and hygiene!

I personally am completely against them.... Probably like most of geeks :) The appropriate levels of cleanliness an precaution is almost never kept in these places.

It was on Lorraine this morning and I then heard it on the radio. I'm not a fan so I'm glad this has come out.
Rhiannon x

I haven't read it but have never in my life considered having one of these for that very reason.

I find it difficult to watch when I see parents sitting with their young children getting this treatment.

Only a few days ago in Habia news i read an article on how Habia were to work with HPA on Fish Pedicures! Today i have just read the paper and heard on Tv about the Fish pedicures. I must say i personally am pleased. Few practise thorough checks on feet or give a thorough consultation xx

About time this is something I have questioned since they started popping up everywhere, now let's hope these unsanitary money grabbers sod off and leave us professionals alone! Obviously exclude salons with decent morals and excellent hygiene procedures x

I never been a fan myself and thought it was only a matter of time before this came out.

read it this morning, shocking, not something i would have associated it with. I feel sorry for the owners of these fish spas, how are they gona get rid?! Bad investment...

heres an attachment for all those that havent read it
Fish foot spa virus bombshell | The Sun |News

It really is about time. The health services should be ashamed of themselves taking this long to look into it. It's already banned in parts of USA and Canada, that may have been a clue to investigate straight away? I'd love to have one of them jobs where they get paid to sit on their backside and do nothing, well actually no I wouldn't!:rolleyes:

That link to The Sun make me laugh!

Erm, here's me thinking you couldn't have a fish pedicure if you had recently had a spray tan done...

And up pops up a photo of the lovely Amy Childs who has obviously had a spray tan done...

So sort of highlights the inconsistencies between salons and contra-indications...

It was only a matter of time before they caught on.

There is a reason it is banned in so many states in the US!

Said it before and I'll say it again....

How do you sanitize a fish?

With chips too?? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Im sure people that don't read properly would have read this headline and no more, completely missing the fact that the true point of the article was there is a very LOW risk. This makes me sad.
I know there are places doing it without correct sanitation and consultation procedures but what about the places that are? I think the sun are forgetting that for some people this is their lively hood.
IMO they should have put a checklist of some sort stating what to look for at a hygenic salon so people that do want it done go somewhere sanitary, not just a pop up type shop in the middle of a precinct. (many of which don't even have running water)

Latest posts

Back