Fitting Forms... My head is spinning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdskora

Reaction score
I have only just started doing sculpts... I do enjoy them when I get the form on right... but that is very very rare...
I have tried to roll them first... tilt them up , down round and round... doing my head in.

If there is any free edge at all on the nail bed I cant get it to fit.....
If they are a biter with fleshy skin on the end.... i cant get it around the skin and the side walls end up with a :kink" or weak spot.... Just cant get it right..

I even practised on my daughter today.

Can anyone give me a hint

I was using CND forms unti I ran out..... Now i have those horrid Horse shoe ones....
Waiting on YN forms as I thought i would try those

HELP

YN forms are good, so are CND and some other brands. Are you pushing the centre out and then sticking it to the underside of the form where it would go under the free edge? If you do this then roll the form it give a bit more support and keeps it in place.

This is really a matter of practice, you seem to be doing everything you can and every nail is different, never mind every client! :eek: You will get better and better and at some point it will seem to just 'click'. Keep practicing and you will be fine! :)

Thanks. I just get so frustrated with the forms... No i wasnt sticking the little centre part under the free edge so i will make sure i do this also.
Thanks for the tip
xxx m

Hi
I'm also trying to master the art of sculpting. I did my first set on a paying client and 2 nails gave me pure problems and kept moving!! I do struggle to get the forms on correctly!! I have the reuseable forms as well as the sticker kind!
In the end her nails looked really good but I am worried that they will snap at some point because i had probs with the form!!
guess i will find out soon enough!! lol
xxx

Hi, to place the centre piece on the underside of the form where it goes under the free edge would mean cutting it/tailoring it to fit (the centre piece not the whole form)?
Have I understood you correctly Shedunlop?

Hi, to place the centre piece on the underside of the form where it goes under the free edge would mean cutting it/tailoring it to fit (the centre piece not the whole form)?
Have I understood you correctly Shedunlop?

No you don't need to cut it or fit it.

It can be placed perfectly easily about 1mm below the cut out area toward the free edge.

It is only used for extra support, if you feel you need it, and the placement of it does not have to be absolutely precise.

My advice won't be about fitting itself, because you got that in the posts above, but a few words to ease your mind:

I had issues, and I really do mean issues with sculpting, the first ones were turning out like stairs :green: and I wasted hundreds of forms and bottles of products and ruined my nails and just when I was about to get a red steam out of my ears and selfcombust :green:, it just - clicked, I don't know how to explain... it just happened, and from that moment, it all went only to better! And now I'm doing it without thinking...

The only thing to remember is that sculpting may get difficult to master, but it's not some God given skill that only the chosen ones are granted with. Just being able to do a nice set of nails with tips or NNO is also a very big a deal, so never say to yourself, oh, I'm no good...

If you put your mind and hands to it, you'll get there, just don't give up, and even if you get it wrong at first, don't be sad or angry, just laught at it and - you'll get there sooner than you think :hug:

My advice won't be about fitting itself, because you got that in the posts above, but a few words to ease your mind:

I had issues, and I really do mean issues with sculpting, the first ones were turning out like stairs :green: and I wasted hundreds of forms and bottles of products and ruined my nails and just when I was about to get a red steam out of my ears and selfcombust :green:, it just - clicked, I don't know how to explain... it just happened, and from that moment, it all went only to better! And now I'm doing it without thinking...

The only thing to remember is that sculpting may get difficult to master, but it's not some God given skill that only the chosen ones are granted with. Just being able to do a nice set of nails with tips or NNO is also a very big a deal, so never say to yourself, oh, I'm no good...

If you put your mind and hands to it, you'll get there, just don't give up, and even if you get it wrong at first, don't be sad or angry, just laught at it and - you'll get there sooner than you think :hug:

This is so true ... when you 'click' you wonder just how it wasn't happening before!!

Once your client stays where you want her to be, and she can even be taught to assist you, and you get the action of application right .. it is all a breeze.

i only wish i had you guys with me when i'm doing it - lol

oh well i guess its practise practise practise!!

Best two bits of advice I can give you are....

a/ Ditch the horrible horseshoe forms....they are the worst thing in the world to use and I personally could never fit a horseshoe form, although I can fit a decent sculpting form beautifully. However as I will never use a horse shoe form for sculpting, I will never need to fit one!

b/ Grab every hand that walks through your door and fit a form to it. Hubby, children, friends, milkman...whoever. How much would you pay to be trained? £25? More? Lets face it you can get a lot of decent forms for that, dependant on brand, and I'd like to bet you will be able to fit one beautifully after a couple of rolls. So dont see investment into a couple of rolls for practise as a waste. Investing in the right tools for practise is investment into your skills.

sculpting used to fill me with sheer fright !! i couldnt fit a form even though i had been to class etc.. just didint click then one day i was practising and i managed it and since then i have been ok , i actually love doing it now , :lol:
keep practising and it will fall into place xxx

Latest posts

Back