Flying nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wondernail

Reaction score
Ok...having a rant.

Yesterday a client phoned me to say the set i put on for her, 2 nails have fell off. ...Not snapped, not caught, not knocked, but they fell off. She assures me she never, knocked or bit them or did anything detrimental to them at all.
Apparently the client flicked her hands in the air and 2 flew off!!

I asked her to come back in and I could put them right free of charge, but she doesn't want to have them repaired as she is sure the others are going to drop off so she will come in next week for me to out a new set on...she wants a new set free of charge (and next time in her opinion I should use more glue on the whole nail!!!!). So in other words she is going to bite the rest off and say it is my fault and that they have dropped off!!

So i have been sitting here flicking my hands in the air waiting for mine to drop off, and funnily enough they dont.

She is the first client that has had nails that miraculously dropped off, I may have a client who nibbles them off, I may have a client who catches them and breaks them off, but not one where the nail drops off the fingernail of it's own free will!!!

Of course the fact that she is a serial biter has nothing to do with it.
And she blames me for the fact her friend broke two off, so then she bit the rest off to match...how is that my fault???!!!

I think I should become a dentist as well and pull all their ******* teeth out!

If it was myself I would make her come in for the free repair and then if she does lose any more charge her for them.

Hi,

I maybe be wrong and I'm sure somebody with a bit more experience will correct me but I would not do anything to her nails until she lets you have a look. Otherwise she can (and already has) say anything. Stick to what you know as you are already doing and repeat that being a nail biter.....
All the best

You should get this lady to come back tell her you would like to see her nails and also repair the ones that have come off.

I would tell her that you can not give her a full set free in a weeks time! maybe ask her to return and tell her you will decide then what you can do for her.

Ok if she doe come back and the whole lot of nails are falling off!!!! (which I expect they are not) Then do her a free set of nails but if the others are fine just sort out the 2 that have come off.

Caz xxx:D

Well I am quite sure when she comes in I will see the tell tell signs of her nibbling teeth...I am sure she will still deny it.:evil: I am not giving her a free set, she can go elsewhere...I will knock a couple of quid off for her as a goodwill gesture.

Even though I know she had bitten them, just the fact that someone rings to complain and says it is your fault, knocks your confidence and makes you paranoid.:Scared:

I spoke to her last night and asked he to come in and I would sort them out immediately for her as I do not want a customer annoyed...but she doesn't want to come in until next week....which makes me think she is going to bite them off and try and hide the fact.
So she will give herself a week to make her nails look better so that I cannot tell.

Needless to say IF the whole lot slid off her nails I would put a new set on, no questions asked and with full and sincere apologies...but if that was the case then i would run down the high street naked on market day!!! I don't think so!!!

I have one like this and it's my sister!!!!!

She rings me and says "they just came off, you must be doing something wrong, come fix them tonight"!!!!!!!

if she didn't refer me so many clients and if she wasn't my sister I would tell her where to go!!!!

I went over yesterday evening and had a look, three were missing in action! but the tell tale signs of picking and nibbling were there! I proceded to explain to my sister that I could see the damage to the other nails and she had better stop doing it, no more freebie repairs and she was going to be paying me extra for going to her house to fix them (i'm not mobile).

She also need a rebalance on the rest of the nails but told me she would prefer to wait until next week just before xmas, i said fine....... she then wanted me to file them all down as they were getting too long, she wanted them just at the end of her finger, so I explained that her whites would be really short almost non-existent due to the need for a re-balance, she said it was okay and to do it. So i did and then she complained that I stuffed up as on two there was about 1 mm of white!!!!! I then toldher off good and proper and told her if she doesn't trust me then go back to her old tech who used to hurt her, make her bleed and charge her double what I do!!!!!

That shut her up!!!

I love my sister but god, why is family such a pain in the butt?????

Oh and my other sister who doesn't live here, called at the same time and asked me to bring my kit with me as she wants her toenails done at xmas, I said yep sure,,,,,, I will do your fingernails too if you like.... her response was "Oh no thanks, I have just got my nails healthy again after last time you touched them"!!! SHE RIPPED OFF FRENCH ACRYLIC WITH HER TEETH!!!!!!!! AND WONDERS WHY HER NAILS WERE DAMAGED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I gave her a serve too!!!!!

I wish I could tell off eveyone who is that stupid like I can my sisters......

Sorry that turned into a bit of a vent!!!!

Lucky you that you get money out of family. I never can bring myself to charge friends or family.
xx:suprised:

I found that when I was learning I wasn't charging, then as a thankyou when qualified I didn't charge my models to get full sets.

I found that because they didn't pay they wouldn't respect them and would pull them off and them complain about them wrecking their nails, but then would be sitting there complaing about it while I do another FREE set. my bestfriend was the worst. She wouldn't leave them on for a week! Then it started costing me a fortune so i have to charge them. it's amazing how long they stay on when they have to pay for them as well as any repairs!

Mind you, I have one friend, I did her toenails for her beach wedding in french gel with extensions. She asked me how much and i said that it was part of my present to you. They were put on 3 weeks ago and she still has them! Goes to show that people can be real greedy when they want to and then others can be really grateful!

It really gets me when they whinge when they don't pay full price and they wreck them themselves. I HAVE NO SYMPATHY!!!!!!

I'm making every client now sign a form that states the damage that will occur to the natural nail plate if they rip the nails off or pick at them and that I won't be responsible for the condition of the nail if this happens. They have to read it and sign it which states they understand the consequenses. It's amazing, I no longer get those complaints!!!!!

I'm making every client now sign a form that states the damage that will occur to the natural nail plate if they rip the nails off or pick at them and that I won't be responsible for the condition of the nail if this happens. They have to read it and sign it which states they understand the consequenses. It's amazing, I no longer get those complaints!!!!!

Great idea Danielle...I shall now be doing the same...before I blow my top!!

Correct me if i'm wrong, geeks that have been doing nails for years and years,but acrylic does not just fall off.What a load of bulls***!

Think you should ask her to bring in the remaining nail when she comes in too!!

I think because you have just opened she is trying it on,not very nice.Even when you know the facts and its not your wrong doing i know it can still dent your confidence.But you know the standard of your work and stand firm.I'm all for encouraging and making clients happy but you don't want to be knowen as a soft touch!

I think disclaimers are a fantasic idea especially where rebalancing NSS nails and doing nail biters are involved.

No way give her a free set.Offer her a free removal though.

Honestly,your the nail tech not her...does she think we're thick!

Chin up Angela and stand firm!

i had a horrible client like this in - the 1st customer ever in my new shop!!! after her i just felt like shutting!! its horrible, a you say, makes you feel dead paranoid. Just think of all the good sets you do. ive another 1 coming in today and i just dont know what to make of it, its on another thread if any1 can gimme an opinion! good lúck and let us kow how it goes.

wondernail said:
Ok...having a rant.

Yesterday a client phoned me to say the set i put on for her, 2 nails have fell off. ...Not snapped, not caught, not knocked, but they fell off. She assures me she never, knocked or bit them or did anything detrimental to them at all.
Apparently the client flicked her hands in the air and 2 flew off!!

I asked her to come back in and I could put them right free of charge, but she doesn't want to have them repaired as she is sure the others are going to drop off so she will come in next week for me to out a new set on...she wants a new set free of charge (and next time in her opinion I should use more glue on the whole nail!!!!). So in other words she is going to bite the rest off and say it is my fault and that they have dropped off!!

So i have been sitting here flicking my hands in the air waiting for mine to drop off, and funnily enough they dont.

She is the first client that has had nails that miraculously dropped off, I may have a client who nibbles them off, I may have a client who catches them and breaks them off, but not one where the nail drops off the fingernail of it's own free will!!!

Of course the fact that she is a serial biter has nothing to do with it.
And she blames me for the fact her friend broke two off, so then she bit the rest off to match...how is that my fault???!!!

I think I should become a dentist as well and pull all their ******* teeth out!

Ask her to come in for you to check her nails if there is no damage to the ones that have 'flown' off redo free of charge.

But the chances are there WILL be damage telling you that they were forced off, either due to her or by accident either way it's not your fault. If the latter is the case CHARGE.

And don't let her make you put a set on for free!!!!

(and next time in her opinion I should use more glue on the whole nail!!!!).

sorry your having some trouble but that always makes me laugh when clients think they know best, one of my friends is the same, she is usually very good and almost always comes back with a full set for refilling, but now and then she's tell me something like, 'i think you shud use the other tips, they are better' or 'one broke i think it wasnt cured long enuf' etc, some of them think that just because they watch them bein done so often they are qualified to tell me wat to do, so a couple of weeks ago while i was doin another friends nails she asked cud i fit her in that nite too, i was knackered and she wasnt due to be done for another couple of days so i said wud she mind if i din, she asked cud she try and do them herself while i was doin the other friend and i said no, prolly not a good idea, she sat ina sulk untill i gave in, and she destroyed her nails, it's a painful and stupid (on my behalf to let her do them) lesson to learn that nails are best left to the professional.

sorry went off topic a wee bit there...:o

I have had another one today...it makes me so mad!!!

lady comes in and I had done her nails just over a week ago and she is a farmer and she said,4 nails "peeled" off, and then she broke all the others off when she was baling hay!!!

She said in front of my client, well if you dont put a new set on next week i will have to cancel the appointment. So I said yes we can put a new set on (meaning i will charge you for it) and she said ok. But when she left I realised she meant that I should put a new set on for free!!

I am not putting a new set on for free just because she expects her nails to be invincible against baling hay!! Thats not my fault they broke..and i dont belive her anyway.

It is impossible for 5 nails to break all on one hand all at exactly the same time, and the same second when picking up a bale of hay....Sorry I am really mad!!:twisted:

Not only that but just as I was leaving tonight a revolting drunk man came into the salon and made a grab for me, before I pushed him out the door with a broom.
I am in such a bad mood!!

I think I should call her before next week and clarify that i will not be doing a whole set for free, and if she complains then she can go elsewhere.

I really do not see that it is my fault...should nail extensions be up to heavy farming work and baling hay? Or is it reasonable to say that all 5 nails will break when picking up bales of hay all at the same time....if that is really what happened!

I just can't stop thinking about it!

get her back in straight away to look. tell her you cannot give her a free set if she does not come in right away so that you can assess the nails and any damage. otherwise she'll be buffing them up before she comes in!

she came in today but would not show me her nails!

wondernail said:
she came in today but would not show me her nails!

Well there you go then....you have your answer

If you have clients coming to you saying they just fell off then put a little scrubfresh on a lint free pad and wipe over the nailplate. If it did just fall off then the natural nail will be smooth as when you first applied them, if they were picked off then you will see the damage that has been caused by picking. Explain to your client what you are doing and you will find that they will have to own up to the truth of what really happened as you have the evidence staring right back at them.
David

Latest posts

Back