For the professional

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belle Vie

Reaction score
Please can we, as professionals have a discussion that doesn't involve concern over the competitions pricing, whether or not the local competition is in fact NSS, where their staff may or may not originate from and using non pro products on our clients?

It is so frustrating to see a gold mine of knowledge, information and networking like salongeek being used as a sounding board for every gripe anyone has about these topics. For so many sole traders finding our way in this industry this is where we come to find our colleagues and peers and to find inspiration to grow our businesses.

So could we please, have a chat about what we are doing with our own businesses, who are we all? Who do we work with and why? What has been successful for you this year? What keeps your clients away from the competition and in your chair? Do you have a fabulous treatment that they can't get enough of? Tell us and let's share some tips for the professional.

Yes you're quite right belle :)

Good point belle!

Much better to focus our energy on our own success or how to achieve our goals. Xxx

I know everyone loves a good moan from time to time but its so depressing... and with Xmas just around the corner we should be concentrating on what extra value we can offer to both old and new clients.

I'm now opening later to offer girlie nights, nails, facials, snacks and bucks fizz..... fingers crossed!! :wink2:

Belle Vie said:
So could we please, have a chat about what we are doing with our own businesses, who are we all? Who do we work with and why? What has been successful for you this year? What keeps your clients away from the competition and in your chair? Do you have a fabulous treatment that they can't get enough of? Tell us and let's share some tips for the professional.

Agreed! So, I'll answer your questions lovely :)

I'm Emily, I've been qualified since September 2011. I originally trained with a private beauty college but have since done lots of conversion courses - I believe continual professional development is so important for a thriving business.

I work for myself, alone... That's why I love SalonGeek, because you girls are like online colleagues!!

This year, I've really upped my game Shellac-wise by offering a LOT more nail art. I try to get all of my clients to at least give some little design a try, even if it's just once. Most of them get hooked and then it escalates from "just the ring finger" to all nails... Which means more money for me!! My nail art is what makes me stand out from other nail techs in my area and it's definitely what I'm known for around here.

I'd love to hear more about you guys; tell us your story!!

Xxx

I agree I work alone so don't get the chance to chat to other nail professionals and come on here for advice, keeping up to date etc (I won't list every reason) but I have learned so much over the past couple of years and am very grateful for all the help and advice I've been given by amazing people of all levels. So yes it would be fab if we didn't have to go down the "bluesky, £8 acrylic nails and how much the girl down the road charges !!!! X

Totally agree!!
I've been working as a beauty therapist for 8 years and have just started working for myself mobile.
I am gradually upping my skills as I go, looking in to courses reading forums, doing research its so good to keep up to date with what's going on.

I have started offering pamper parties minimum of 4 people £ 15 a head for half an hour treatment including goody bag which includes a little bottle of wine and a mini bag of malteasers. .. minimum £60 a night for two hours... people are going nuts for them and its leading to extra bookings as I hand my price lists and cards out to the friends who have come along
I have now also signed up to Ann Summers as something extra to add to the parties and a new way to find clients. That was just today so I'm going to see how it goes.

Next course I want to do is LVL lashes as no-one does them around my way.... yet

Much love fellow geekers

I have left my full time other job to do nails but have taken a part time job as I build my client base and am doing well and have some lovely clients who pay the price I charge. I have a home salon and work mobile I have invested time and money in top products and training. My part time not nail job finishes in march and I'm hoping to build enough clients by then. I know it takes time to build a business but I refuse to lower my prices and give my products and time away for very little money.

I get your point, I really do. I know that this forum should be about the best and the most constructive advice. I hope that I can contribute to that.

But please, let it also continue to be the place where I can come and bitch and moan about the NSS down the street, the client who went away to be a DIYer and came back with ruined nails (and an attitude), the expensive product that doesn't work like it said it would, the counterfeit product, the new tech down the hall who doesn't know sh*t from Shinola. Please let it also be where I can fight with someone over Shellac vs Gelish. Let it be where someone actually knows what the heck I'm talking about. : )

I get your point, I really do. I know that this forum should be about the best and the most constructive advice. I hope that I can contribute to that.

But please, let it also continue to be the place where I can come and bitch and moan about the NSS down the street, the client who went away to be a DIYer and came back with ruined nails (and an attitude), the expensive product that doesn't work like it said it would, the counterfeit product, the new tech down the hall who doesn't know sh*t from Shinola. Please let it also be where I can fight with someone over Shellac vs Gelish. Let it be where someone actually knows what the heck I'm talking about. : )

That really made me Lol Nancy. Am I the only one who occasionally looks through "Closed" threads to see if I've missed a good argument? :biggrin:

I'm self employed based in a village salon and have been there since may. The owner is a therapist and we work together so well. Have the same ideas and enthusiasm for the industry and really bounce of each other. Its been hard but I'm gradually building up my client base again. (Long story short - I went on maternity leave at the last salon and came back to find the salon was struggling, my hrs cut & owners constantly doom & gloom so went to this village salon and have started again).

What has been taking off for us is pamper parties. We usually close at 2pm on a saturday but offer exclusive use of the salon from 2pm and for £15 each we offer 2 mini treatments. And childrens parties are £10 a head with 2 mini treatments plus a glitter tattoo. They are going down really well as its something a little different. We started them in June & need to find time to get our heads together to maybe work out packages for these parties.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

That did make me laugh too Nancysyd!

I won't be on here moaning about NSS because until the WHOLE industry gets behind regulation and educational standards that isn't going to change (certainly not in what's left of my career anyway)

As for Shellac vs Gellish here I am :twisted::biggrin:

That really made me Lol Nancy. Am I the only one who occasionally looks through "Closed" threads to see if I've missed a good argument? :biggrin:

So glad you admitted that as I do that too! (Hides face)

Hilarious... Got it in one!!

I love the good healthy thought provoking debates I can find here- and all in the industry in which I love! I also love learning from you guys and your fantastic product knowledge, your gelish vs shellac, techniques, sales ideas I also love getting advice from like minded people on my down days etc etc depending on my mood I pick the threads I want to read! That's the joy of salon geek!

Now this is what I meant in my other post! This is how we discuss, not slap each other down.

Looking forward to reading through this one more thoroughly later. It's my birthday so off to get ready to go for afternoon tea later.

Happy birthday amd enjoy afternoon tea x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just got back from afternoon tea.. STUFFED! But it was really nice.

What did you all do when you first started out, in order to get your name known? I'm in a new area and don't know anyone, so some tips would be great! I've already done a leaflet drop and nada...xx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back