For those with kids..may be upsetting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeni Giles

Reaction score
There have been a couple of things that have come across my email that I thought I needed to share. I was sent a link to www.snopes.com/toxins/dustoff.asp to check out an email that had been circulating about kids inhaling canned air like what you use to blow dust off your computer. It's become popular in the states, and I thought maybe those with kids would want to be made aware of the risks involved with chemicals we have around our houses. It would be awful to lose a child because of what is referred to as "huffing" here.

The other thing that has become a danger is "the choking game" an 11 year old boy accidentally died in Island Park (small town about 2 hours from where I live) He accidentally choked himself to death while exploring his sexuality. Apparently this is becoming quite popular, and it wasn't until this unfortunate death that I had ever heard of this happening with someone so young. The boy who was usually punctual went for a bike ride and didn't return when expected so the family started searching for him. He was found hanging from a tree with his pants neatly folded and lying beside him. Police started the investigation looking for a child molester, but after questioning children in the area the truth came out. The family is suffering horribly, but are making an effort to make other parents aware.

I know that this may be a depressing post, but if it helps one child, then it was worth it.

omg, i had never heard of either of these things, whare do kids get these ideas

thanks for making me aware

I dont understand....these are just babies... where do they get these ideas from...? is it the TV....School....magazines...? I am horrified that children so young who should be playing with footballs and on there bikes are doing such crazy stuff that wouldnt even enter my head....who's telling these kids about this sort of stuff..?

That real life story just brought tears to my eyes!

That's awful and his poor mother seeing him sat there with his eyes still open!

God bless him!

What a truly sad story, my only worry is that when this gets to be publicised on TV then many other kids will try it.

My boys didn't know what "Happy Slapping" was until they heard of it on TV, now they say there are loads of kids doing it beause of what they have heard in the media.

This is so sad I have posted it to my friend in the USA so she can read it if she has not already heard about it.

Caz xxx

Oh dear! I didn't managed to get to the end to sad for me. Is this stuff avaliable in the UK? Lets hope not.

I hadn't heard of what happened to the little boy in our area until I saw it on the news. The saving grace in for our family is that our house is the place to be, the neighborhood kids usually all end up in my backyard or basement, and that's fine because I'm there with them. It's ok that they all call me Mrs. James' Mom and sometimes forget to knock before they come in.

I knew about huffing or inhaling vapors from cans and that it was dangerous, I just didn't realise how harmless kids think it is. Times have sure changed!!! The things our children have to face while growing up are much more difficult than the choices I had to make. As long as I am involved closely with my children, I can at least make them aware that things their friends might consider harmless or fun really may not be as harmless or fun as they think. If it takes having all the kids playing at my house to keep them safe and making good choices, then come on over, I'd rather be surrounded by happy kids than to face a tragedy like either of those.

Treats said:
Oh dear! I didn't managed to get to the end to sad for me. Is this stuff avaliable in the UK? Lets hope not.
Unfortunatly this is avalible in the uk since you can use any can of areosol :( Also cans of air for cleaning computers are easily obtained from a computer shop.

Both things mentioned have been publicised on TV allready, the second one is called autoasfixiation and Michael Hutchins died this way.

HTH's

Sarah

Latest posts

Back