Formaldehyde free polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dingbat

Reaction score
I recently had a lady that was allergic to formaldahyde. I know that creative is but the base coat isn't. I thought OPI would be the same..it's not. I applied the stickey base coat then creative polish followed by Essie top coat. I rang her to see if she had any problems and NO.
My question is if using a polish that is formaldahye free on top of a basecoat that isn't does it really matter? Do I need to purchase all formaldahyde free???? if so could you give me a few examples please.
Thank You

I have one client who says is allergic to formaldehyde, and I use SpaRitual base coat and OPI (which contains formaldehyde resin) color and top coat and had no problems.

I have one client who says is allergic to formaldehyde, and I use SpaRitual base coat and OPI (which contains formaldehyde resin) color and top coat and had no problems.
Do you think that it is trial and error? Ididn't use the OPI which I love because of the formaldahyde.

Originally I wanted to just omit the polish, but together WE decided to try putting SpaRitual (which is a "3-free" brand) and just use OPI as the top coat.

So, I'm correcting myself, I used SpaRitual base coat, and color and then my OPI top coat, just because I had nothing else at the time.

But she did not have any problems with the top coat. I offered to special order a top coat for her, but she didn't seem that worried about it.

I guess you could do a 'patch test' on just one nail, and wait 24 hours, to be on the safe side.

I think the most important is what is going directly on the natural nail.

Originally I wanted to just omit the polish, but together WE decided to try putting SpaRitual (which is a "3-free" brand) and just use OPI as the top coat.

So, I'm correcting myself, I used SpaRitual base coat, and color and then my OPI top coat, just because I had nothing else at the time.

But she did not have any problems with the top coat. I offered to special order a top coat for her, but she didn't seem that worried about it.

I guess you could do a 'patch test' on just one nail, and wait 24 hours, to be on the safe side.

I think the most important is what is going directly on the natural nail.
Thanks for the info, i think I do understand about the natural nail, however I thought maybe it's the polish that touches the face so if you use a formaldahyde free top coat it may not cause a reaction??? I did use a a base coat that contained formaldahyde and a polish and top coat that didn't. Is it the fact that she has a reaction because the polish has formaldahyde in and is touching her face??????

I recently had a lady that was allergic to formaldahyde. I know that creative is but the base coat isn't. I thought OPI would be the same..it's not. I applied the stickey base coat then creative polish followed by Essie top coat. I rang her to see if she had any problems and NO.
My question is if using a polish that is formaldahye free on top of a basecoat that isn't does it really matter? Do I need to purchase all formaldahyde free???? if so could you give me a few examples please.
Thank You

Actually the Creative polishes DO have formaldahyde resin in them so be careful.....however CND are releasing a new range of 3 free polishes this week.

I have several ladies who are allergic to formaldahyde, and we have sandwiched a creative colour between a 3 free basecoat/topcoat but I am always worried.....not a problem now though:)

OPI do have a product which would solve the problem, Start To Finsh top and base coat formaldehyde free. Login - Lena White

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN ... Please please when will you all understand that Formaldehyde RESIN (TSFR) is not formaldehyde.?

Anyone can be allergic to anything, but in my experience the people who are allergic to formaldehyde are not commonly allergic to formaldehyde resin.

We have had the world's leading chemists here on the site explaining these things to you .. I have beeen battling on for years explaining these things to you ... formaldehyde in its RESIN form is not the same thing at all as formaldehyde.

There I've said it again.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN ... Please please when will you all understand that Formaldehyde RESIN (TSFR) is not formaldehyde.?

Anyone can be allergic to anything, but in my experience the people who are allergic to formaldehyde are not commonly allergic to formaldehyde resin.

We have had the world's leading chemists here on the site explaining these things to you .. I have beeen battling on for years explaining these things to you ... formaldehyde in its RESIN form is not the same thing at all as formaldehyde.

Thank you Geeg!! I think I must have missed it the first time :hug:

Thanks Geeg, I read your other article about the difference between the two and what the 3 Free means. Wish they would update this in the beauty school's curriculum. I did a CIBTAC diploma and I was told nail varnishes have "formaldehyde and the resin is there to make it stick" !!!

Thanks Geeg, I read your other article about the difference between the two and what the 3 Free means. Wish they would update this in the beauty school's curriculum. I did a CIBTAC diploma and I was told nail varnishes have "formaldehyde and the resin is there to make it stick" !!!

Dear oh dear !

Do teachers ever update themselves???

But then who is there to teach them ... they should read and digest some of the books they tell their students to buy (Like Nail Structure & Product Chemistry by D. Schoon). Is it any wonder students are confused? They are told the facts but if they then answer the questions on an assessment with the facts they are marked as wrong because it is not the answer the assessment paper has on the answer sheet, when it comes to marking them. CRAZY. :rolleyes:

Students tell me .. "I know the answers but we are told to put the incorrect info as that is what the test paper answer sheet says." Have you ever heard anything as rediculous as that?

Dear oh dear !

Do teachers ever update themselves???

But then who is there to teach them ... they should read and digest some of the books they tell their students to buy (Like Nail Structure & Product Chemistry by D. Schoon). Is it any wonder students are confused? They are told the facts but if they then answer the questions on an assessment with the facts they are marked as wrong because it is not the answer the assessment paper has on the answer sheet, when it comes to marking them. CRAZY. :rolleyes:

Students tell me .. "I know the answers but we are told to put the incorrect info as that is what the test paper answer sheet says." Have you ever heard anything as rediculous as that?

You have hit the nail on the head. I was a mature student and was very inquisitive. The teaching programme was leaning towards getting the right answers in the test. Same as when taking practical exams, most of the methods taught are not what is carried out in professional practice. How hard is it to make such a minor change?

Hence, I believe it is essential to update your skills through professional courses.

Is your client saying that the polish is giving her a reaction on the face? If so, that may have nothing to do with formaldehyde. I have one client who can't wear anything on her nails because she gets a reaction on her face, from touching her face. Her doctor said she has contact dermatitist. So the only thing I can do is buff her nails. We tried everything and everything broke her face out.

I'm glad Geeg noted that formaldehyde resin is not the same as formaldehyde. Most polishes now days are free of formaldehyyde, toluene and DBP.

Is your client saying that the polish is giving her a reaction on the face? If so, that may have nothing to do with formaldehyde. I have one client who can't wear anything on her nails because she gets a reaction on her face, from touching her face. Her doctor said she has contact dermatitist. So the only thing I can do is buff her nails. We tried everything and everything broke her face out.

I'm glad Geeg noted that formaldehyde resin is not the same as formaldehyde. Most polishes now days are free of formaldehyyde, toluene and DBP.

The above statement is actually not correct. There are only a bare half dozen brands of polish that are actually completely 3 free.
Others have cut down on amounts but are not completely free (but make claims that they are) and many have not cut down at all.

Frankly health wise there is no risk to consumers even if polishes DO contain all the ingredients listed above.

It is consumer groups (not the public) who have pushed for 3 free polishes NOT because there was any actual health risk from using them. So some companies have gone the 'whole hog' ... but it is in fact, very few who have gone the 'whole hog' and certainly not most as was mentioned above..

Last edited by a moderator:
Well dont i feel like a prize prat! I actually didn't say it was the same thing. I said be careful for the following reasons:

I thought i had read in Doug's book that it is safe to use a polish with formaldehyde resin unless the client has a severe allergy to formaldehyde, which my client does. She is has a very severe reaction actually and cannot wear clothing and the likes containing also.

Please accept my apologies, I stand corrected:)

Well dont i feel like a prize prat! I actually didn't say it was the same thing. I said be careful for the following reasons:

I thought i had read in Doug's book that it is safe to use a polish with formaldehyde resin unless the client has a severe allergy to formaldehyde, which my client does. She is has a very severe reaction actually and cannot wear clothing and the likes containing also.

Please accept my apologies, I stand corrected:)

I don't see why you should feel a prize prat ... you ARE correct .. if you know that someone has a severe reaction to formaldehyde then I would still be careful of polish even with TSFR ... of course I would. The clue is in the word SEVERE. In most cases it would be OK but that doesn't mean we ignore it and don't take precautions. What you said was just fine !

The good thing is that now we don't have to concern ourselves any longer when using CND polishes.

Well if what you say is true then there are quite a few companies out there doing false advertising because not only do the bottles say they are free of those products, but their ads in the magazines say so also. And if I find that they are you can bet your bottom dollar I will not be buying their products ever again!!

If i were you i would use base coat,colour and top coat that are all formaldehyde free if someone is allergic to it. I use Jessica nail polishes and products at my salon and all their polishes are formaldehyde free. To start up an account with Jessica you dont need to pay a start up amount or cost, you can order what amount of products you like. hope this helps.

CM Polishes are formaldehyde FREE :green:

Well if what you say is true then there are quite a few companies out there doing false advertising because not only do the bottles say they are free of those products, but their ads in the magazines say so also. And if I find that they are you can bet your bottom dollar I will not be buying their products ever again!!

We have had an example just recently of one polish company here in the UK advertising quite blatantly that they are 3 free ... and they are not ... it is going on all the time. Seems that if a manufacturer has reduced the amount of these chemicals in their polish they feel they can make the false claim that they are free of it. It is my understanding that if certain ingredients in a product are under a certain amount of the volume .. they do not have to be listed.

That is why some companies that have really eliminated the chemicals are saying TRULY 3 Free, instead of whatever else the others say, to distinguish themselves from those that are making the false claims.

Latest posts

Back