Freelance - what does it mean?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oey

Reaction score
I have noticed on a few threads lately that people are talking about being "freelance therapists" and I am not quite sure what that actually means. Is it the same as being mobile or self employed? Perhaps it is just a new buzz word.

Does the word "freelance" apply to any trade or only certain job roles?

Hi T.
It means mobile. A freelance hairdresser/beauty therapist etc is one who is mobile.
It can relate to any job role that requires travelling i believe.

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Thanks Elaine

So it really is just the new buzz word for mobile then! :lol:

Theresa I don't think its a new word. Its been around for years.
Maybe you haven't noticed before, but its definately a term thats been used in the industry for years.

For example The federation of freelance hairdressers has been going for years. Its for therapists too!
Its a site really for mobile/freelance hairdressers/therapists. They do insurance , offer support,training etc. (just an example, its not a plug)!!

hth a bit.

Elaine xxxx:hug:

my insurance is 'freelance', and I'm mobile :)

I would have thought freelance referred to mobile therapists

Freelance means you work alone

Yes, as TinkyWinky says.....you work alone, but it generally means self employed. For example, you would go to the gym and have personal training, but if you employed a personal trainer to visit you outside the gym (ooh er missus), then they would be a freelance personal trainer.

I've posted on here several times that the term 'freelance' sounds much better than 'mobile' as it gives the impression that you value yourself and what you do.........and quite rightly so. xxx

oh i wish i had put freelance on all my stationary now instead :lol:

I never put mobile on my stationary either...I just don't care for the word...

but I never thought of freelance either...:rolleyes:

OK another visit to Vistaprint methinks lol...

I'm now converted: Freelance therapist

SOunds so POSH!!

I've posted on here several times that the term 'freelance' sounds much better than 'mobile' as it gives the impression that you value yourself and what you do.........and quite rightly so. xxx
It was after one of Kim's posts (ages ago) regarding being 'freelance' as opposed to being 'mobile' that I changed my geek profile where it asks for 'occupation'... mine reads Freelance Nail Technician :D

My occupation?

Freelance Nail Technician ....:lol:

so posh!!!!

I have noticed on a few threads lately that people are talking about being "freelance therapists" and I am not quite sure what that actually means. Is it the same as being mobile or self employed? Perhaps it is just a new buzz word.

Does the word "freelance" apply to any trade or only certain job roles?
I used to call myself freelance because I worked for a few organizations where I would go in, do the appointment(s) and then leave. I worked at a spa as and when, an acupuncture clinic and a complementary therapy centre.

I wouldn't call mobile freelance, thats mobile work.

freelancer. a person selling work or services by the hour, day, job, etc., rather than working on a regular salary basis for one employer.

Ooh Sandie.............I never knew. Can I be your manager?

I love the term freelance.xxxx

I work from home but refer to myself as freelance, as far as I know it has nothing to do with whether you are mobile or not.

freelancer. a person selling work or services by the hour, day, job, etc., rather than working on a regular salary basis for one employer.

Ooh Sandie.............I never knew. Can I be your manager?

I love the term freelance.xxxx
Of course you can mate... the pay is crud though :lol:

How about this one -

Freelance Nail Artisan

( Yes.. I stole the word from Gigi.... )

Can it get any posher than THAT....??!!!!:D

:lol: it sounds cool though.

Latest posts

Back