Friends nails.. At home, at the salon or not at all??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I give my M8's 30% in the salon and we keep our old prices for spray tans - I love doing it and am so gratefull to them over the years. Its really hard for me to service them at home due to the long hours tho I do the odd gel toes before holidays and spray tans but I'm usually piddly from the wine before we get round to it that its easier to come into the salon. My M8's come in batches so I dont mind and only one takes the mick by making tan her after a 12 hr shift, but I love her so I let her and her business alone has paid for course after course that its all good :green:.

my friends/family will come to me at home
when I was working at a spa they'd go to my work sometimes but still more at home to help me get more $ on the side :)
But yes I do charge but not full
I do my mother in laws gels every 3-4 weeks and have been for 3 1/2 years and I have tried many times to not allow her to pay anything because she does lots of things for us so I owe her, and still she insists on paying me. My mother too, she doesn't get them as often but when she does she'll pay me unless she does something for us and that is how I am repaying. LIke a few weeks ago I did my mothers gels and she paid for me to go get my hair cut before Christmas, so it was a nice trade off.

I know you are both right but it is so complicated and I they come to my house to provide a service for my chronically ill son so it is not blackmail as much as my inability to stand up for my self and my emotional weekness. It is just really complicated and I my fear of upsetting them set against trying to tread a constant tightrope to provide the best care I can for my son is what stops me. But I do know you are right and I am going to be diplomatic and try being illusive to their demands so as not to create and atmosphere that I just can't cope with. You are both right and I know you are, thanks xx

Gosh it's quite complex then, isn't it. Sorry, didn't mean to sound harsh, just didn't like the idea of anyone taking advantage. Also didn't mean to pry. :hug: Sounds like you have a lot on your plate and I think in a position like that I would do just the same :hug: BTW Hope your son is OK

Its all a bit of a minefield isnt it :eek: It is one of the questions that I have been thinking about because I am using my friend and my mum and sister to be my models on my CND course over the next few weeks so obviously wont expect them to pay.
Once I have qualified and other people who I know like my boyfriends family and my other friends want their nails doing what do I say?
I was thinking saying to pay for material costs only but then I think will that insult them particularly those who provide things for me like free dinners and lifts to places when my car was broken :)
Also I ideally want to work in a salon on a Saturday and if I do my mates and extended family for free to start off with then they arent even going to spend £15 on a new set in a salon (as an example) when they know they can get it for free!
Sorry to go on :green:
Gail
x

Ooo it's such a controversial debate isn't it! Can't resist sticking my foot in ...

I don't think that friends and family should ever have regular freebies. It might sound harsh but I've a Dermalogica treatment room and am very experienced in massage and skincare and I'd have a full diary of non paying customers if I did that. The issue has made me mad in the past as I've found that those that love me the most insist on paying (because they want me to be successful) and they've often the ones who do a lot for me and I want to do them for free. Then it's other friends and family members who just want freebies ... in fact let me re-phrase .. actually really expect freebies and feel annoyed if they can't have them. I used to get really frustrated because everywhere I went (even after a long day in the salon) I'd get 'ooh can you just massage my shoulders'. It's like they think they're the only one who asks .. or don't care?!

I don't make loads of money and most friends and family members earn more than me. I offer freebies for really important events like weddings, but not regular events like birthdays. But I do offer products at trade prices for friends and family.

I think that lots of you on here are really generous with your time!

xx

Did I say I charge my friends but give them a small discount but I do my mum for free . . . she's my mum!! She also sat through endless new sets and soaks offs and rebalances in my early days and helped me buy some of my products when I started out in this business.

I do my friends at the salon and at full price......I am running a business after all and they appreciate that....if they wanted nails done elsewhere, they'd have to pay full price.

Did I say I charge my friends but give them a small discount but I do my mum for free . . . she's my mum!! She also sat through endless new sets and soaks offs and rebalances in my early days and helped me buy some of my products when I started out in this business.

My mom is a freebie for life! She's sure had enough crappy nails in the beginning. :)

Latest posts

Back