Frosted Dappen Dish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherubs

Reaction score
Do you not have a pipette and only put into your dappen dish what you need per set/rebalance?

ummm, why are you leaving monomer in the dappen dish?

Just decant the amount you need hun each set and you'll be fine x

I understand what your saying, if I were doing others nails then I would only be decanting what's needed, but when i'm doing just my own or playing with colours/flowers then it's a shame to waste what's left!

If it's just "spare" monomer for playing around (not for use on clients), I'd decant it into a spare bottle for use later on. Otherwise it will just evaporate.

Just make sure to label the bottle as such so it doesn't get used on a client!

I have one of these dappen dishes and I don't think the lid is very good for containing vapours. I replace the lid inbetween using monomer but doesn't make a great deal of difference to me.

I am thinking to changing to one similary to the Ezflow one. It's a larger white certamic one with a cork stopper. I was wondering if this might help?

Just decant a little at a time, that way you can always add more if you need it but wont have loads left over which you have to throw away.

I have this dish and dont have a problem with the liquid evaporating overnight. I play nails with my trainer hand most nights in my spare room and leave the dish overnight because i dont want to waste any liquid which i need for my acryilcs course. I left the same liquid in the dish for 1 and a half weeks when i wasnt playing nails and it still didnt evaporate away but it did go all gloopy so i had to discard it and start fresh.
The lid doesnt stop fumes escaping thou so i have to leave the bedroom window open 24/7 and the bedroom door shut.Try covering your dish with something else like a coaster or something, other than that all i can suggest is to buy a new dish or only decant small amounts of what you will need.
I bought a teeny weeny little dish with lid for a few pounds from Sally's at the weekend to use when i start doing peoples nails so i can decant just the right amount and throw any left overs away because i think the frosted dish are too big in imo x

If it's just "spare" monomer for playing around (not for use on clients), I'd decant it into a spare bottle for use later on. Otherwise it will just evaporate.

Just make sure to label the bottle as such so it doesn't get used on a client!

Forget my ideas this ones sounds better :green:

I left the same liquid in the dish for 1 and a half weeks when i wasnt playing nails and it still didnt evaporate away but it did go all gloopy so i had to discard it and start fresh.
You more than likely were using a wetter ratio than you needed and some of the polymer was in your liquid, causing it to thicken.

A little at a time is the key, you can add but you can't take away :wink2:

You more than likely were using a wetter ratio than you needed and some of the polymer was in your liquid, causing it to thicken.

A little at a time is the key, you can add but you can't take away :wink2:

Thanks for the tip sandi...i will wipe off my brush a bit better before dipping and try not to go too wet. Im still learning trying to get my ratio just right with no success yet. Its never happened before only when it was left for a long time so i persumed this could be the reason the reason. :hug:

dappendish from odyssey nail system is very easy and has a lid that screw on

IMHO this dappen dish is way too big.

So big in fact that you can't actually put a small enough amount in sufficent for 1 set of nails or for a play on your nail trainer. You can't help but put too much in then have to use it over a period of time, which is not really recommended, even working on yourself or the nail trainer.

Why? Well, not only because it gets you into a bad habit that you may carry on when working on clients, but the monomer doesn't actually all of a sudden go 'gloopy' when it gets contaminated it is a gradual process. Therefore you will have done a few nails with it before you notice, which may lead to lifting or discolouration, and it also affects how you can pick up a bead in the first place, throwing off your mix ratio.
I also wouldn't recommend the storage in another jar for these self same reasons.

If I were you I would bin this one, and get another dappen dish more suitable. A nice small one that you can only use a small amount of monomer or still smaller than you have with a lid or cork.
The small glass ones from any Beauty wholesalers are cheap and way better than this. Or of course look into some of the other dappen dishes recommended here.
HTH

I agree about the odyssey dappen dish you can now get them in the uk or try there stand at G. Mex

:):)

Latest posts

Back