Gel powder?!Do I miss something?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanish

Reaction score
Hello dear Geeks!
There is my dilemma.... Couple of local salons sell a "gel powder" service to their clients.. Cliens are being told they will have GEL on their nails but when I ask how did they apply it the answer is... they dip a brush into a liquid then to a powder and so on.... the smell is very strong.... .......
I don't understand... tried to find anything about this "wonderfull" product in the internet and found nothing... my gess is that is usual acrylic they use ... Am I wrong? Can somebody give any information on this case?
Thank you for any replies.X

Discount salons have been doing this so called gel/powder for years and calling it that to give their clients the impression they are doing gel but in a powder form. I suppose trying to please everyones taste.

In any case it is just Liquid & powder and usually MMA but the product would have to be tested to ascertain this for a certainty.

geeg is right - however there is Gelacryl that combines acrylic and gel - Michelle Porter distributes in the uk. check it out:)

The majorty of NSS's use this in our area

geeg is right - however there is Gelacryl that combines acrylic and gel - Michelle Porter distributes in the uk. check it out:)
or acrygel?

we had this a long time ago around here, and it's a really hard allergizing product.

I do not thhink NSS use branded lines.

ive had loads of clients wen i ask what they had saying "oh its gel, they dip the brush into a liquid then into the powder" :eek:

-Gel is any UV cured product
-Acrylic is powder & Liquid
But if you look into the chemistry of Gel & Acrylic they exactly the same the difference is the molecules in gel are partly polymerized (linked up or cured) with Acrylic you have to mix the product from the begining for the molecules to star to polymerize, butat the end they both cure to a hard plastic.......

Sorry this might be a bit confussing but anyone that has done chemistry will understand......:)

or acrygel?

we had this a long time ago around here, and it's a really hard allergizing product.

oooooopppppsssss - me having a back to front day!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Geeks!
Thanks for all your replies.
I think Geeg is right, I though about it but wondered if there really some kind of "GEL POWDER"(not acrygel!!) on the market I don't know about.
I mean the whole name "gel powder" sounds to me as a "sweet solt" or "dry water".... now I'm very impatient to go and ask them what brand do they use...just curious...
The majorty of NSS's use this in our area
I hear so mush in England about this tipe of salons but still can't understand why every second person in this coutry realises how dangerous it can be and these salons still manage to do their business... and quite well I need to say...they is always a line of people there waiting for their "treatment"....:rolleyes:

I've also come across salons offering a version of Tip & Dip in this this way. They use a thick viscosity gel-like EC resin, then dip into Acrylic powder as 'Gel Powder' nails.

Every second person doesnt realise what goes on in a NSS or many other nail salons thats why they have so many clients, its cheap & quick, the general public are (in general) not aware of the danger & practice that goes on in many of these nail salons......

We are educated professionals who know whats what but most of the public are unaware..

& maybe thats why we have so many clients from the NSS salons because they are coming to us to put right a complete mess !

the gel powder system gelacrylic, is from a company trying to copy the Acrygel system which Michelle Porter Beauty Products distribute.
It isnt the same as acrygel as i have tried both and love acrygel. this is a gel system in its own right with added strengthening powder, completely odour free.
like the other techs mentioned and Geeg, some of the tip and dip systems being used that "smell" strong, are actually L&P but the NSS are selling it as gel. they tell thier customers anything to get them through the door.

Hello Geeks!
Thanks for all your replies.
I think Geeg is right, I though about it but wondered if there really some kind of "GEL POWDER"(not acrygel!!) on the market I don't know about.
I mean the whole name "gel powder" sounds to me as a "sweet solt" or "dry water".... now I'm very impatient to go and ask them what brand do they use...just curious...

I hear so mush in England about this tipe of salons but still can't understand why every second person in this coutry realises how dangerous it can be and these salons still manage to do their business... and quite well I need to say...they is always a line of people there waiting for their "treatment"....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back