Getting older

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An*Gel

Premium Geek
Reaction score
A friend of mine is a photographer and came across this website.

The photographer finds people in old photos and takes the same photo many years later, I thought it was absolutely fascinating.

OK so I'm cheating a bit here, but I just wanted you all to see it, maybe this should be a blog, so I'll ask a question so as to not break the rules.

Are you afraid of getting old?.... I know I am and it's worse the older I get... time just seems to go so fast!!:Scared:

Here's the link...

BACK TO THE FUTURE : Irina Werning - Photographer

yes i am :Scared:

I'm only 24 but already every year gets quicker.... its the one thing that keeps me up at night! Well not the getting older itself, but what comes at the end of it all.... god i sound morbid this early in the morning!

I love that link, the pictures are great!

yes i am :Scared:

I'm only 24 but already every year gets quicker.... its the one thing that keeps me up at night! Well not the getting older itself, but what comes at the end of it all.... god i sound morbid this early in the morning!

I love that link, the pictures are great!

OK now you've really depressed me ... you're only a baby!!!

Although it's funny 'cause when I was 24 I thought it was the perfect age and felt depressed when I turned 25 as I knew that 30 was only 5 years away... but when I turned 30 it didn't bother me at all!!

I'm 37 now and I think I'm totally in denial about my next big Birthday :Scared:

The best thing about getting older is the confidence you get... I can't think of any thing else positive to say about age!!

Great thread, An*Gel!

I'm not afraid of getting old (I think I'm already there...LOL) but afraid of being infirm when I'm old. At the assisted living facility I work at, I see a lot of women who can't remember anything, can barely walk, etc. THAT is what I would be afraid of. As long as I'm healthy, bring it on!

Chocolatepickle, I've got 30 years on you. You could be my child! Come to think of it An*Gel, I could be your mum, too...if I had been a loose teenager.

I say, enjoy life while you can. None of us knows what tomorrow will bring. :hug:

I had a look at the website and it's so funny, really genius too. I've forwarded the link on to my MIL as she does scrap booking. That'd give her a few ideas. She's doing one for Robyn who is 16 in April and I might try and have a go at getting her to pose for one of these lol.

Brilliant, ta for this!

Am I scared of getting old? Not any more, it took me 6 years to admit I was 30 but I'm 40 this year and it doesn't bother me. Plus I can just inject a bit of botox or fillers or do topical things to reduce signs of ageing lol. When I need it I'm sure I'll be under the surgeons knife for a brow lift :biggrin:

Some of those people haven't changed at all!

I'm in my thirties now, and don't like it, but still think I'm 19, to my shame.

Ha ha! Great thread thanks An*Gel that link has really cheered me up!! Genius!

Scared of getting old....maybe a little, a bit like deanosnana, I visit my nan and often think how lonely she must be at times sitting in her little room at the care home, Im not looking forward to that one little bit.

She's also missing a couple of marbles now, the other day she swore blind a vampire had visited her the night before and was making her drink blood, then she said "and his willy was so big it scared the life out of me" lol, bless her cottons, no more late night movies for you nan!!

The age I wouldn't want to go back to is those teenage years, we have a 16yr old girl at home, there's so much angst going on inside her right now, we have an outburst at least once a day, too fat, no boyfriend, no friends, not enough clothes.... Eurgh!

Teenage Turd Syndrome is what we call it! xx

Those pictures are so cool - what a great idea. Thank you An*gel for sharing the link.

I do think ageing is in the mind but I don't think my body is aware of that!

I use to be able to work in the salon 5 - 6 days a week all day, quick 5 min break between clients for a bite to eat and a loo break and then just keep on going.Then I started to not enjoy my work which shocked me, I developed a back problem and it took me a couple of years to realise I had not stopped enjoying my job I just needed to arrange my day differently, cos I was getting older - I guess I was in denial! I now do a 4 day week, have a 30 min break mid day for a sit down, a cup of tea and sandwich, and a break mid morning and afternoon! It has really changed my work life and I love it again.

Our industries are looks based so I guess all are all conscious of ageing - but that does not mean it is youth based and other that illness which really worries me I do not mind getting older, it certainly beats the alternative!

Loved those pic, absolutely fantastic,

Not worried about getting old (the only thing I dont worry about) Hit 40 last year and sailed through it,

Age is a state of mind!!!!!!!!!!

You can grow old but you can never grow up!

I realised last Saturday that i was getting old.
I had a client in for a spray tan and i asked her if she was going out that night. She told me she was going in to Birmingham but that she didn't want to go cos it was a chore getting ready and it takes a few days to recover. I said that i knew the feeling and asked her old she was. She said she was 30 and i told her she was still a baby. She turned round to me and said 'Well you're only a couple of years older than me aren't you'.
I said 'No, I will be 43 this year'.
' Oh my god', she replied ' I can't believe that'. I was feeling dead chuffed and gloated to my sister when she popped in to the salon.
Anyway, i went out with my sister on Saturday night and she turned round to me and said 'You know you told that client that you were 43 this year? Well it didn't occur to me then but you're 43 already and you will be 44 this year'.
I just looked at her and said 'No i'm not', and then did a quick reckon in my head and OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I can't believe i'm 44 this year. I don't know how i lost a year but i thought i must be getting old when i can't even remember how old i am!!
I'm still 21 in my head so i think i'm just gonna stay at 43 for a few years :biggrin:

I'm still 21 in my head :biggrin:

I know the feeling! I still feel in my 20's but when I look in the mirror...OMG...who is looking back at me? :eek:

One good thing, even though I'm D's nana, everyone thinks I'm his mom. I think being 'young at heart' helps, too! :cool:

Getting old doesnt phase me, but ive been blessed with good age genes so maybe thats why. Also im spiritual so thats probs another reason.

anne xx

What a cool site that was! I loved looking at those photos. Am I afraid of getting older, yes I guess a bit as the time goes so fast these days (I am 47) of what comes at the end? no. I was when I was younger but not now. Live for today, thats my motto.kx

It terrifires me, it really does, I hate what I see when I look in the mirror, 4 children have changed things quite a bit !!! Its not just a visual thing, I get really panicky about getting older and it really brings me down. I just want time to stay still for a while, I think it goes sooo quickly because we're all so busy rushing from one think to another without stopping to take a breath. I'm 44 and want to stay here please !

I'm 47 and in the last couple of years have felt I've aged. I'm sure its due to lack of sleep. Re married 18 months ago and he does shift work and of course I wake up at all different hours and its driving me mad. My skin is really suffering too.

Love those photos on that site.

I think getting older isn't just about your state of mind, but has a lot to do with the state of your body and health. You can ache in places where you used to play, you don't have the same stamina and the prospect of serious infirmity is much more real, as an eventual prospect.

You become aware of far more people you knew dying, family and friends, and no longer feel immortal.

I don't mind getting older, my kids are now my friends I only think about the school run when I want to get to the shop because I have 3 schools near me and getting out onto the main road is a pain at school time.
But looking like mutton dressed as lamb, yer, that worries me.
I'm 47 and inside I'm still in my 20's I still love my jeans and sweat shirts, my neighbours are all in their 70's so they are no help for my fashion sense.
I'm going to be Granny Sue from April, so, 47, is it time to reach for the blue rinse and have my hair permed:Scared:
Love that web site, those photo's were fasinating:hug:

Love the web site made me think a bit though ..

It only seemed a short while ago I was giving birth and looking after two toddlers now they are two huge teenagers with two massive appetites, opinions on everything and so noisy when they come in from a good night out :wink2: My parents are now nearly eighty and in their twilight years thankfully happy and contented. :Love:

I currently look through two different windows of different stages of life one where I have been and one where I am heading ( eventually ! ) .
I loved being young and i remember things every day my kids live through now and they make me smile :biggrin: and yeah I'll look forward to sitting down with my memories and thinking of the people I love and have loved and i'll be thinking I lived a great life thank you ..

Latest posts

Back