Getting on my nits!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ProperPrincess

Reaction score
Erin is 5. Her hair is long blonde an very curly. She's never had nits until Christmas. And now I'm treating them constantly. I've tried all sorts. I spent two hours last night! Urgh it was awful! And she's upset now. The problem is that I can't make her wear her hair up all the time as she has bad days when she doesn't want her hearing aids showing so anyone know how I can rid them for good and keep them at bay. I use a tea tree shampoo and leave in conditioner! I used full marks and another brand I can't recall? I'm at my nuts end lol

Lol, my daughter had the same problem (tight curly blonde Afro hair) I used all the products going. I did find simply conditioner and combing through every night (took hours sometimes) use a leave in conditioner when she goes to school. Unfortunately you can't make every parent do the same and mine had it all through her primary school (another parent admitted using dog flea shampoo on her child, so knew I was fighting a losing battle with the parents at her school!) the only time she was clear was in the school holidays, then a week after returning they would be back :(

my girls where plagued with them too when they were young try the nitty gritty comb it worked really well and they both had long hair

My daughter was always getting them off one child, I only wash her hair in a Friday night, use serum & keep her hair tied up,

Is there a way you can tie it up but still cover her hearing aids?

Tell the school, they should send out a letter to all the parents, If you all treat the children at the same time it will reduce her chances of getting them.
If she dosent want her hearing aids showing then try back combing a bit to surround the ears so they are covered but te rest is still up? Or Lesley pin up the front sections so they bow over the ears. Or a low ponytail, pulling the hair straight over the ears.

I'm sorry to say that no shampoo or lotion will keep ten away, it will just kill that lot.

I'd also reccommend treating once on say a Monday, combing it all through with a nit comb then again on Wednesday and friday to make sure all the eggs have been gotten and reduce the chance of them coming back, it will also kill off any new infestation she may get before they become a major problem. But the best advice is tell the school! Xoxo

Tell the school, they should send out a letter to all the parents, If you all treat the children at the same time it will reduce her chances of getting them.
If she dosent want her hearing aids showing then try back combing a bit to surround the ears so they are covered but te rest is still up? Or Lesley pin up the front sections so they bow over the ears. Or a low ponytail, pulling the hair straight over the ears.

I'm sorry to say that no shampoo or lotion will keep ten away, it will just kill that lot.

I'd also reccommend treating once on say a Monday, combing it all through with a nit comb then again on Wednesday and friday to make sure all the eggs have been gotten and reduce the chance of them coming back, it will also kill off any new infestation she may get before they become a major problem. But the best advice is tell the school! Xoxo

I've complained to the school once a week since Xmas. They say they can't make everyone treat their child's hair which I accept. She has gone to school with her hair up today and I've left some wispy bits to cover her hearing aids but it's still annoying. Back to complain I go xx

I have had the same problem and tried various things, so far this method is working well. If you google Neem Oil you will find loads of info on it, its a natural pesticide that affects the lice's ability to reproduce and the nits can not hatch and so it breaks the life cycle. You still need to comb to get any live ones out but this stuff seems to have done the trick. It absolutely stinks, and the smell remains for weeks although it is faint - its enough to keep the nits from coming back. I also was struggling to get the empty nit cases out and was always thinking the nits were back so I read that rinsing the hair in Coke (i left it to soak for about 20 mins) is good as it dissolves the 'glue' that sticks the eggs to the hair - and that worked a treat!! I have read that nits tend to climb on at the front of the head anyway so not having her hair tied up maybe isnt too musch of a problem. I got my Neem oil from The Neem Team

No they can't force them, but iv come home with a letter a few times, and I'm not ashamed to say iv had them. In the long run the school can take action as its neglect to leave a child with an infestation.

Bring back the nit nurse! Xoxo

it was a never ending battle with my little girl ,
i would get rid of them totally including washing hair bands brushes bedding sofa cushions everything , they would always be back :(
and i know it wasn't my fault as through any school holiday there would be no problem .... but it dose bring you down and it dose make you feel like your not getting rid properly , so i know where your coming from on this .

the best thing i found for treating was nutty gritty comb and hedrin ( they die as soon as the hedrin gets on them , its not bad for the child (like alot of other brands that work as pesticides! think about it )
instead Hadrian suffocates them !

the nitty gritty comb has etches ? in the bristles/prongs ? this removes eggs aswell as anything else ! it goes through even stubborn thick and or curly hair easy with some hedrin on there to .
oh and the hedrin leaves hair nice condition :)

dont get me wrong .... they came back from school with her still but it wasnt such an issue ...........

since then we haven't had them for just over a year as we moved out of england!
its funny as here ive never even seen treatments or combs for sale , so different from where i lived before when they wear every where lol

If your child has difficult to comb hair, treatments such as Full Marks tend not to work.

A colleague of mine has a mixed race girl, she has tight curly hair, and she tried various remedies, and combing with conditioner etc. I recommended she try Derbac M.

You massage the lotion in to all the hair, and leave it on overnight, wash out the following morning. It also best to repeat with this a week later, as any eggs missed the previous time will have hatched, but not had time to lay more eggs.

Then of course after treatment with Derbac M, you could use Tea Tree Oil to help keep them away.

In our salon we sell a preventative spray that's all natural. It contains pyrethrum, tea tree, lavender and a few other oils....can't remember exactly. I don't know if it's sold in UK. Oh, and it has a treatment as well. I will look up the name and let you know.

As a mum of girl with long thick hair, I know what a drama this can be. My daughters hair was too thick for the lice combs(it would literally get cut by the comb) so I have plucked out nits with my fingers like a monkey for hours and hours....so I feel your pain.

I found that preventative was a miracle cure.

Here's the link...

http://www.naturallook.net/hair/head-lice

Not sure if it's available in UK, but you could always become a stockist!

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

Last edited:
The school can only do so much and they can't just go around accusing people of neglect (trust me the ones who don't bother will shout the loudest that they do their children's hair). Bring back the nit nurse!!

Definitely recommend Hedrin and the nitty gritty comb, it's amazing and gets all the eggs out unlike other combs

Try using tea tree shampoo when all clear, could you put her hair in plaited bunches!

I do believe they should have the nit nurse still but it's classed as singling someone out! My mum is a teaching assistant and she is constantly saying its the same children who's parents dont bother who are spreading them and you can see them crawling all over and all it is is cos the parents cant be bothered to pay out for the stuff.

Touch wood my 6 year old boy has never had them but i have drummed it in to him that he is not to put his head near another child i would dread it if he got them then me i'm an extension wearer!!!

Thanks for all your replies. She did go to school with bun style bunches today but was forced so will get this nitty gritty thing and headrin first then try the other stuff. Religiously wash their hair in only tea tree and it's just not working. It's taken Erin only started talking and playing with kids about 4 months ago so I'm wary of putting any kind of limitations on what she can and cannot do in school. X

Whe my daughter was young the best thing i found was vinegar...yes it smells for quite a while but seems to keep them at at bay for longer!

I use tea tree oil on my kids Never ever bothered with the expensive treatments and my mum did the sane with me when i was younger.

I put shampoo onto my palm, add tea tree oil approx 10 drops rub into hair. Add more drops of oil behind ears, nape of neck, crown and front. Leave for 5-10 mins then rinse. Apply stupid amount of conditioner, comb through with normal comb then go through with not comb. Once your happy rinse hair. I do this every other night for a week when they've had bits, Works a treat. I've even bought tea tree shampoo and conditioner which we use once a week. Keeps them at bay. Once a week I go through my kids hair just to make sure they haven't got them again.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back