Gift Voucher expiry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
Im just wondering if you all stick to the rules of the expiry dates on your gift vouchers?

The reason I ask is because I don't know if I'm just being mean but I'm
fed up with people taking the mick.
I put an expiration period on my vouchers of 6 months. Most salons are 3 months. So they have ample time to use it.
One lady has decided to leave it until the week before it expires to try and to book in. As you all know to get an appointment now... Well lets just say you'd have more chance of stepping in rocking horse s***.

She has asked me to extend it and I have said no. The expiry date is on the voucher but the terms and conditions are on the website. (Otherwise it just looks messy).
She says a week before Xmas is more than enough notice to book an appointment.

What would you do guys? I think 6 months is more than fair! Can you really expect to get booked in a week before Xmas?

It depends what type of voucher it is.

If it is one that has been purchased (£20 voucher for example) then I would honour it whenever it was produced as I have been paid for it. I would make out I was doing them a favour and would do it this time if they booked the appointment within the next 2/3 weeks (obviously xmas is different) and I would then try to book the appointment into one of the quieter times so that I'm not giving away a preium spot.

If it is a % off voucher then the expiry is the expiry as it is a set time offer and no extension would be given.

If this lady has a purchased a voucher or someone bought it for her, I'd say you are willing to accept the voucher but it needs using by end of Jan. You have appointments on XYZ dates and times available.

Try and get her booked in soon so she feels that you have done her a favour & she has not been ripped off. After all I'd be annoyed if I had £20 in my pocket but it was refused because I'd had it there for 6 months, at the end of the day you have had the cash for this voucher so you should perform treatments to earn that cash.

I agree that some people really do take the micky.

Why not be the gracious one and allow her to use the voucher in January when you are a bit quieter. You could even say you will extend it for the first 2 weeks in January if you wanted. You might get a loyal customer out of her.

Such a pain. I always let clients use their gift vouchers, though it hasn't happened very much. Oh just this once, lol.
I draw the line at people that have lost their voucher though xx

I have 6 months on mine but if someone calls and it expires I extend it for another month and they usually use it in that month.
I don't have a problem extending them, I only really put the expiry date on them to encourage them to use it when they get it, I also don't mind transferring them to a different treatment if it's not for x amounts . After all they've been paid for. They can use them al in one go or in stages. I don't think topshop etc gift cards have expired dates on .x

I have had one person say they dont want any beauty treatments and want a refund instead. I said no but they could give it to someone else if they like. My new vouchers state that they have no cash value

Thanks for your replies guys x

I always extend mine, some people just forget or are just really busy. I say yes I will extend it for you for an extra month this time and then they are really happy. To be honest I have the money so I dont see a problem with extending them you could end up with a really loyal client from it.

I have had a lot of money from unused vouchers so if someone wants to extend the date I dont see a problem.

I have had clients ask for money too and I cant believe the cheek, one asked for the money for a voucher I had given as a donation!!:rolleyes:

If they dont want treatments they can use it for products but would never refund a voucher.

I have this year however instead of putting the expiry date next december I have put Feb 2013 as the number of people I have had with vouchers this month has been a nightmare, im hoping they will leave it until after xmas next year.

I agree that some people really do take the micky.

Why not be the gracious one and allow her to use the voucher in January when you are a bit quieter. You could even say you will extend it for the first 2 weeks in January if you wanted. You might get a loyal customer out of her.

Such a pain. I always let clients use their gift vouchers, though it hasn't happened very much. Oh just this once, lol.
I draw the line at people that have lost their voucher though xx

I agree.

Refuse a treatment over the Christmas period, due to availability but tell her she can have the treatment in January as a gesture of goodwill. You can't really say fairer than that and if she pushes for a treatment this side of Christmas she obviously doesn't appreciate the fact that you are trying to help her out.

A little bit off topic and I know yours is 6 months but I think a 3month expiry limit is not a great idea. I had a voucher for my birthday in July for a salon about 15 miles away so I needed to plan half a day to get there, back and have the treatment. I could only do a Friday when my son is at nursery and when I called to book, about 6 weeks after I had the voucher I was told they fully booked on Fridays until November ! The attitude from the receptionist was basically change your day or tough.
I think gift vouchers should be at least 6 months ideally 12 months.

Latest posts

Back