Give up or stick it out?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsByShakira

Reaction score
For the past month or so, I've thought about packing up nails for good. I feel like I've lost my passion I once had for it and I don't know why. Recently I've been offered more hours in my day job which I took because I can't really rely on the extra nail income, plus need the extra money as I have now moved out with my partner.

My client list has gone down dramatically and only have one regular client who's a family friend, and I am grateful for having her. I've been doing nails on and off for around 3/4 years so I know what I'm doing and have had the appropriate training.

Part of me thinks it's the money side of it all, keeping up with all the latest colours/trends/products. I can't afford it all. I think cause I don't have all the colours, no one is interested & there's not a lot of choice. I'm basically in debt on my credit card from buying new colours, equipment and not being busy enough make the money back to pay it off.

I currently do natural nails, so most people know me for offering CND Shellac, Brisa Lite Gels & Manicures, CND additives. I promote on Facebook, send texts, my family help to promote me, I have 20% off offers now and again and nothing. My prices aren't expensive either, I range from £15-£24 (depends on what you have).

A friend and I were gonna open up a shop together in the future, when we have enough clients between us. She does eyebrows, tinting, lashes that kind of thing. She's waay busier than me and has been quite successful so far but she doesn't have a day job and therefore has more time to fit people in. I don't.

So I don't know what to do. Give up, or stick it out? I need some advice from you guys.
Thanks in advance,

Shakira x

To be successful in this industry you have got to put the hours in, put the money in, and be excellent at what you do.

You have to live it and breathe it to make it work.

Otherwise you are just another person wanting to do nails/spray tanning/hair extensions etc.

Offering your services too cheaply and doing lots of offers will not build you a client base ... It will take you, along with many others in the same boat to the bottom of the ocean.

If you have got the fight and the desire for it then re-evaluate your plan.

If not then it is time to quit.

Jacqui x

I think that's abit harsh and not necessarily true.

It is quite tricky balancing between a full time job and nails on the side.

I say stick it at. Perhaps only target a small area of where you live. I kept to the villages where I live and they love having someone fairly cheap coming to their home. I don't think you need to be constantly spending out either. Most of my clients want the basics and nice colours.

Remember sometimes it's about you and whether someone is comfortable with you.

Don't give up :) xx

I also don't really agree with the "all or nothing" approach. It all really depends on your plans and expectations. If nails is your dream and it's all you want to do in life-then yes, you really do have to put a lot in (money, time, energy) to make it in this field. But if you just enjoy doing them on the side and don't really feel like like quitting your day job-I personally don't see anything wrong with it either. You could be just as good at nails, and only do it on part time basis, only putting the hours that you want to put in. Obviously you would still need some choice in days and times for people to be able to come to you-but I don't see why it would not work, if that's what you want. From my personal experience you don't need all the colours/additives/staff in the world either to make a happy client base. I started with a very small celection of colours and other things, and then added as clients started to come in. I still don't have ALL the colours, and my clients have been happy with what I have, they are coming back, and nobody is complaining.
It may be just the time for you to decide yourself if you want to make a carrier in nails, and the you need to do just that, and put all your time and energy in it. Or if you want to keep it a part time side job, like a hobby with some extra income. Or if you are just over it all together. Only you can answer this because you know how you feel inside.
Good luck!

OP if you are thinking about a salon with a friend as you say in your post, you would need to consider the points I made in my previous answer.

If you wish to continue part time as you have been doing - I hope you have been inspired by the other responses.

Good luck.

Jacqui x

As its costing you more than its earning you, & you have lost your passion then it doesnt make good business sense to carry on as you are.

Re evaluate your prices, and re market yourself. You don't have to be cheap, & see if it re ignites your passion. As above target a small area & see how you go.

Xx

TBH, if you have no passion there isn't much point in doing it. With anything creative you have to love (and to a certain extent, breathe it - at least while you're doing it) for it to be any good. If you don't have the passion it usually shows in your work

I felt like this about a year after being mobile, and only had 2 regular clients, with the odd one-off. It was driving me a bit mad! I would always say I was doing all I can to promote my business but truth was, I wasn't. I am very much a quitter when things get tough and it drives me insane. After a year of being out of it, I realised I still love it. I can be so stressed and then once I have done a set of Shellac or made someone else feel good about themselves by doing a treatment, I feel so much happier.

I also have a full time job in the city and have just started getting back into nails, renting a desk on a Saturday (haven't started yet) but have come back with a completely new attitude and I am NOT going to give up! I don't want to be mobile as I find it a hassle especially when you get there and no one is in, so I have decided to just focus on my saturdays and anyone that wants an appointment in the week, they can come to me. Everyone said to me previously perhaps it was my negative attitude, but I would never be negative around a client, just put a brave face on. Perhaps you just need the break and when you decide to get back into it (trust me you will, I don't think your passion ever completely dies as you wouldn't have done it in the first place had you not loved nails), approach it with a different attitude. Good luck with everything :) xxx

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I think I will take a break from it and re-evaluate. I don't really want to give up being a nail tech completely cause I did once enjoy it but like I said, my spark has just fizzled out.

I need something to inspire me, what I don't know but I'm sure if I take time out I can figure that out. A new look maybe? New attitude I don't know.

Have you thought about doing a refresher course or adding something new? I always find they give you a new lease of life and something new to focus on. Just a thought. Xxx

To be successful in this industry you have got to put the hours in, put the money in, and be excellent at what you do.

You have to live it and breathe it to make it work.

Otherwise you are just another person wanting to do nails/spray tanning/hair extensions etc.

Offering your services too cheaply and doing lots of offers will not build you a client base ... It will take you, along with many others in the same boat to the bottom of the ocean.

If you have got the fight and the desire for it then re-evaluate your plan.

If not then it is time to quit.

Jacqui x

I agree with this, Jacqui.

People will pay for excellence. Buy cheap and buy twice applies across beauty as well as objects.

BUT excellence really is excellence. Those paying expect the best. I'm regularly disappointed at the lack of passion and ambition, the lack of skill and expertise, and the lack of wanting to offer excellent service, in the market. I live near Birmingham in the UK, Britain's second city, and have to travel to get great nails. Each time I try, I'm reminded why I travel.

Be outstanding if you want to grow your business in a few hours a week. There are many mediocre nail painters out there.

Today I went to An interview and the salon had to much gels, polish acrylics different brands. Right away I did not want the position. If it's to much for me then It's too much for the client, I've only done nails for 2 yrs and it took time to realize that.

I find it more exciting when I stick with one brand and folow it. I love the opi polishes and the cnd shellac. Have a few vynulyx but prefer opi's....

I don't know if I'll help! I find more passion when I become good in one product. There is no need to go crazy with colors ( gels or polishes) classes yes but stick to the companies you love!

That keeps me motivated! Hope something helps :)

Latest posts

Back