Gloves or no gloves

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemsiebubs

Reaction score
i sat down last night and decided to gel my toes, plus coloured gel.

Automatically in work mode i applied my gloves - then i wondered does everyone wear gloves when they are working.

I never used to years ago - but now without fail i always do.

I don't wear gloves... but I always wondered (apart from previous over exposure issues) why techs wear gloves?

I usually wear gloves... nitril I think they're made of.

but not everytime... I'm allergic to nearly all forms glue so it helps, along with the style lol... and over exposure problems cuz I used to mix my colors on my holding hand.

I think I may not get along well with some gels so when I have to work with some (except Microbond) I wear gloves too.

I have never worn them and I don't even like the idea of wearing them. does not appeal at all to me.

I never wear gloves ..i allways think it can give a negative impression....you dont need them for hygeine reasons and i think it gives people the impression you wouldnt want to touch them.....or even the products you were using were dangerous and would want to wear gloves whilst using them...what impression would that give

id only wear them if i had some sort of allergy.
i find when i do wear them my hands are really sweaty, that would be so uncomfortable when i would be in them all day.

I always where them. I got the nitril neo touch gloves. I can do everything with them.

I don't wear gloves one i am allergic to the latex ones and 2 i don't like wearing gloves, i like to feel what i am doing and with gloves on you can't feel as well. hope that makes sense.

i never wear gloves - and why would i?

we tell our clients about NSS and the fact that they wear masks - so BEWARE,

if we wore gloves wouldnt this be giving off the same message.

i understand that some techs have bad allergies to products, so have to wear gloves, but other than this, i cant see the reasoning for glove wearing

I only wear gloves when my nails are done because of using the spary gun but I have to get the extra large ones so that my hands don't sweat

I never wear gloves ..i allways think it can give a negative impression....you dont need them for hygeine reasons and i think it gives people the impression you wouldnt want to touch them.....or even the products you were using were dangerous and would want to wear gloves whilst using them...what impression would that give

These points I agree with completely.

Perception is everything and I think unless absolutely necessary, gloves give a very negative impression to clients.

Last edited:
unfortunatley for me i developed dermatitis on my hands which we think was due to dust as i can still wear nails and it was only on my hands so i have to wear gloves :cry:

i can go a few days working with out them but then my hands start to get itchy and i cant stand the gritty dust feeling on my hands anymore

one thing i hate about gloves is the fact that my hands get sweaty, and it ruins my other wise in good condition natural nails

for me its wear gloves and carry on working or........ not and end up with horrid hands and not being ablt to work...... guess what i choose!

Jess
xox

Thats why i wear cloves. I dont want to get an allergic reaction from acrylic dust. I never get negative reactions from clienst. They all understand why i am wearing them. The neo touch gloves work perfect for me.

Thats why i wear cloves. I dont want to get an allergic reaction from acrylic dust. I never get negative reactions from clienst. They all understand why i am wearing them. The neo touch gloves work perfect for me.

Clients will not have a negative reaction to gloves if they are NEEDED !! Sheesh ... why is it so difficult to get a point across. Why do people always have to defend themselves?? Why not just learn to make less dust. Why would you get an allergic reaction to the dust? I would guess that 99% of nail techs work for years and never get any kind of reaction to dust ... not if they are working along with manufacturers' instructions and with good techniques.

IF GLOVES ARE NEEDED THAN THAT IS ONE THING; IT IS A NECESSARY EVIL IF YOU LIKE. BUT ... If all nail techs wore gloves I think (I know actually from what clients have said over many years) it gives a negative, shall we say less than positive, shall we say kind of scary, impression of what we use and what we do! It is the same with masks.

Always best to explain WHY you are wearing protective gear ... then clients are not put off or wondering about it.

I only wear gloves when my fingers are covered in eczema as my skin gets easily irritated by the filing, dust etc, it doesn't help that my eczema is blister form, so when they burst, the result is broken, open skin, so I keep it covered up. It's not that often it gets that bad though but it's also something that cannot be prevented or cured, so I can either wear gloves or suffer.
I also wear gloves if I have done my nails for a particular event or holiday and I want to keep them looking nice, I am so heavy handed and my nails get trashed from working so if I want to keep them looking fab, I'll cover them!

I always tell my clients why I am wearing gloves though, we have a bit of a laugh about how glam my amazing blue cotton and nitrile gloves are :lol:

Now there's a good point I've learned here... that gloves would give the wrong impression to clients... in fact, I somehow thought just the opposite... but now that I think about it, yes, it makes sense.

Firstly I wore gloves only during pedicures, because I had such luck and see a lot of warts and fungus (so I guess I'm freaking out a bit) and just went on putting them on every time, no matter if I'm doing hands or feet...

... but thanks for the enlightment :hug: because the impression that we give to our clients is so important, and I'll take them off if not needed and show off my nails that they can see and say - I want that too :green:

I wear gloves all the time due to having bad eczema on my hands. Also the gloves protect my own nails from filing, acetone, etc..... which keeps them looking nice. I have never had a negative response & if asked explain why!! I don't feel that wearing gloves or a mask though reflects badly on you as a therapist & shouldn't be compared to those of NSS. Just because you wear them doesn't mean your compromising anything.

I was trained in college in 2004 and I was taught that as part of the new unit 19 we had to wear gloves for pedicures but reading your replies maybe I was misinformed or they changed it. I HATED WEARING THE GLOVES SO I STOPPED.
Thanks i'm glad you posted this:)

i wear one glove on the hand i am holding the clients had with, that way im not being exposed to the chemicals..clients always ask why i do it and i explain why...same as a mask...its alright for the client to sit and have nails done for an hour...they arent being exposed to the dust 8 hours a day 6 days a week..

Latest posts

Back