Good grammar, has it gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Text talk really does my head in. I've noticed quite a lot of it recently.

It takes me about 5 times as long to read a post and if it's a long one I just don't bother. It could be something really interesting too but I just can't do text talk.

I have my junior as a friend on Facebook (aged 15) and her spelling, grammar, etc is okay, it's her friends who are bad....they will type the sentence, "Hello, how are you today?" and "HeLLoo...Hw aRee Yhoo 2daay"

What?! That's not faster or easier to type, so why not just write out the words correctly?

I correct people's spelling all the time. I spell incorrectly more because of typing too fast and not checking over. x

lol! I'm a grammar nut too and find it interrupts the "flow" of a book I'm reading if I come across a mistake - grrrr! :biggrin:

But I'm getting better at understanding text speak and having moved around a bit (Suffolk, West Sussex, Berkshire, South Yorkshire, Warwickshire) I'm very used to giving people blank looks and asking what they mean - although S Yorkshire was definitely the biggest offender there!! Breadcakes, spice, pop, mucky beer, ginnel! Arrghh!

I check, recheck and get someone else to check all my business print and web stuff before it goes live and still make mistakes though!

What I love are the texts you get every now and then where the words are spelt wnorg btu yuo cna slitl udnersnatd waht tehy maen!!! Lol!!! :D My teenage son has a t-shirt with "If yuo cna raed tihs meka em a snadwchi!" Cheeky wotsit!

I have my junior as a friend on Facebook (aged 15) and her spelling, grammar, etc is okay, it's her friends who are bad....they will type the sentence, "Hello, how are you today?" and "HeLLoo...Hw aRee Yhoo 2daay"

What?! That's not faster or easier to type, so why not just write out the words correctly

This is one of my irritations. This is a status update from one of my Facebook "friends" :- Name Deleted nt inpressed tht av gt 2 gan 2 wrk!

I think what she is trying to say is that she is not impressed at having to go to work. This girl has had the exact same education as me (which was quite a good one) so there are no excuses it's just plain laziness.

I have a serious problem with know and now. All of my replies will contain the wrong one, I do know the difference but without thinking about it I will always write the wrong one !!!!! (and that 'know' took about 30 seconds of thinking time lol)

I will be the first to admit that my grammar is not that great, but what really gets me is when people use slang for words, but actually makes the word longer. The whole point of slang is to make the word shorter. I cant think of any at the mo, but as soon as I have posted this they will come to me lol

As an editor, I spend my entire life correcting spelling, punctuation and grammar. You would be amazed at some of the things I am sent.

I'm 28, so have been out of school for some time, but I remember very little time being spent on punctuation and grammar. The majority of the people I went to school with would not know a verb from a noun if it them in the face!

When it comes to local phrases, I always remember being on holiday in Cornwall and a man threatening my Dad because he called my Mum "duck". He refused to accept that it's a term of endearment.

I have to admit, I do get told off for taking it too far at home. I was told to "speak English we all understand" the other night when referring to someone's "pejorative affectations"! :D

Me, fail English? Thats unpossible!
Ralph Wiggum

I think that text-talk is the worst, closely followed by sentences without punctuation. It's simply impossible for me to translate and read, I need an english texts dictionary...

I often worry about how my posts come across, and I struggle with them to be as perfect as possible, looking up words and trying to make the grammar as correct as possible, so it kind of annoys me when people just don't bother, and it's their own language????

My bug bear is when people say "I should of" instead of "I should have"!:irked:

My bug bear is when people say "I should of" instead of "I should have"!:irked:

Guilty as charged!!!!! And I say "off of" instead of from...

as in Julesgems off of Salon Geek, instead of Julesgems from Salon Geek.

I'm sooooorrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :sad:

Ha Ha! these have all made me laugh reading these geeks!
I'm not too keen on bad grammar either, but it would be so boring if we were all the same. Can't stand people saying " see you later" when they are saying goodbye they might not be seeing me again for 2 weeks! ha ha:confused: x

My spelling and grammar are far from perfect so i'm scared commenting :D!

I dislike text talk. I find that most of it saves no time at all and most of the words are no shorter, just full of numbers! I'm also not keen on the replacement of s with z on the end of things.

I think most of the time its just cool to do things the wrong way when you're a teenager. I remember using some hideous slang words when i was a teen! When adults do it, it really bothers me.

But, use of the language changes over the years. We all abbreviate with things like I'm, aren't, don't, won't. I'm sure our grandparents or great grandparents would have had something to say about that too! Also, when typing a long message, I think its easy to get in a muddle with a few words and make a few spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers seem to move quicker than my brain!!!! :D

My real pet hate, is the use of ROFLMAO or PMSL, even LOL is a struggle for me. They are so over used. Its not often i actually laugh out loud at something i've read on the net, let alone roll on the floor laughing my arse off. Its usually more of a mental chuckle in my head. Maybe i should start using LOTI - laughing on the inside, and see if it takes off!!!

Great thread xxx

My spelling and grammar are far from perfect so i'm scared commenting :D!

I dislike text talk. I find that most of it saves no time at all and most of the words are no shorter, just full of numbers! I'm also not keen on the replacement of s with z on the end of things.

I think most of the time its just cool to do things the wrong way when you're a teenager. I remember using some hideous slang words when i was a teen! When adults do it, it really bothers me.

But, use of the language changes over the years. We all abbreviate with things like I'm, aren't, don't, won't. I'm sure our grandparents or great grandparents would have had something to say about that too! Also, when typing a long message, I think its easy to get in a muddle with a few words and make a few spelling mistakes, sometimes my fingers seem to move quicker than my brain!!!! :D

My real pet hate, is the use of ROFLMAO or PMSL, even LOL is a struggle for me. They are so over used. Its not often i actually laugh out loud at something i've read on the net, let alone roll on the floor laughing my arse off. Its usually more of a mental chuckle in my head. Maybe i should start using LOTI - laughing on the inside, and see if it takes off!!!

Great thread xxx

LOTI. :lol:

Someimes I do laugh out loud.

Bad spelling and grammer don't really get to me. It's text talk. It takes me much longer to read and understand it.

Last edited:
I love the idea of LOTI as I very rarely laugh out loud and certainly I would never admit to rolling on the floor doing anything LOTI!

miss owen, you made me LOL at what you said!!!!

The simple answer is yes!

I can remember my hubby asking me who I was sending Lots Of Love - LOL one day and for long enough he would not believe me what it actually meant.

Like some one else said, speech/language does change - remember in the past all words which contained "S" were written with the letter "f" instead!

I'm not sure that I want to go back to them times, however, the text talk does drive me mad - perhaps I'm getting old! Oh I forgot I am old :o

I really can't abide it when people say "I done it" instead of "I did it"! I just switch off and don't read any more. It drives me mad!! I also hate it when people use the word "yous" - this was never a word was it?!

I also hate "cup of teas" - hehehe!! :D

My friends all through school thought I was bonkers! I was such a stickler for proper spelling and grammar. I drove my children mad! It takes me forever to send one of them a text, I have to spell every word out completely. I'm glad I'm not the only one.
I too take several tries to submit a post, I've already pulled this one back to edit. :)
My pet peave is when people say "used of" when they should be saying "used to", I swear my children said it just to drive me around the bend!

Last edited:
I agree! My grammar does fail me a little sometimes, but I try to get it as right as possible! Same with spelling, capitalisation, punctuation, etc!

I really can't stand text talk and the like - even more so in a business setting! Hard to believe but in the callcentre I used to work in, I'd see text-speak notes left on customers' accounts all the time! A little abbreviation was necessary, but "tlkin lyk dis" was so incredibly unprofessional, and considering a customer could see their notes... not a good idea!

Latest posts

Back