Good grammar, has it gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-sophisticutz-

Reaction score
I surely can't be the only stickler for this? I received a fantastic book for Christmas called; Eats, shoots and leaves which takes a light-hearted approach to this subject.
Now we are in the age of text speak it seems spelling, correct grammar and punctuation is a dying art. It drives me insane! Although, I must admit, it was a short journey.:lol:

My son says I am sad because I cannot send a text that is not grammatically correct. I have tried but I felt dirty afterwards. :) I don't profess to being perfect but I always have a dictionary to hand.

I have a list as long as my arm of what faux pas drive me mad but the one that gets my goat is when people don't capitalise in the right places. Silly I know but wasn't we not all taught this basic thing at school? :)

Does anything like this drive anyone else crazy? Or am I just a pernickety bugger! :lol:

Oh my God I'm so glad it's not just me. I got that book last year - isn't it wonderful. I don't mind the odd OMG or lol or even PMSL, but what I really, really can't stand is spelling mistakes, especially the ones that should have been drummed into us all at school. The absolute killer, that grates on me, and is an actual physical pain (lol) is the incorrect there and their being used.

Happens all the time. Nobody seems to care anymore or think it is important; but I regularly bin CV's with spelling and grammatical errors. What does it say about you if you don't have a good grasp of your mother tongue?

Last edited:
Oh thank God it's not just me.... :lol:

It drives me mad when apostrophes are not used correctly... like "I went to the shop's".... aaaarrrrhhhhh that drives me mad.

I'm like you and I just can't send a text using an abbreviation (I must be getting old)... WAIL!!!!!:cry:

Oh my God I'm so glad it's not just me. I got that book last year - isn't it wonderful. I don't mind the odd OMG or lol or even PMSL, but what I really, really can't stand is spelling mistakes, especially the ones that should have been drummed into us all at school. The absolute killer, that grates on me, and is an actuall physical pain (lol) is the incorrect there and their being used.

Happens all the time. Nobody seems to care anymore or think it is important; but I regularly bin CV's with spelling and grammatical errors. What does it say about you if you don't have a good grasp of your mother tongue?

This makes me feel better! The book is fabulous, a real laugh out loud read.

I know what you mean about physical pain, I'm sure I develop a tick when reading. There and their is a big annoyance for me too.

I do the same with a poorly written C.V. too. I mean, for cripes sakes, there is a spell check in word! :)

Oh thank God it's not just me.... :lol:

It drives me mad when apostrophes are not used correctly... like "I went to the shop's".... aaaarrrrhhhhh that drives me mad.

I'm like you and I just can't send a text using an abbreviation (I must be getting old)... WAIL!!!!!:cry:

Greengrocers apostrophes are the worst!

Yikes!!!!!!! I put a spelling mistake in my post.

......runs off to edit.

I have to agree wholeheartedly, I think the use of facebook and forums like this bring the lack of good 'English' to light.
I don't claim to be perfect, we all make the odd mistake (usually a typo for me as I never use spellcheck)Things like the old there, their and they're being used wrongly really annoys me, and they aren't picked up by spell checkers......people not using any punctuation and typing/writing everything in text speak!
Oh I could go on all day!!!
I did think perhaps it was just me being anal!! Glad to see others have the same thoughts. x
Posted via Mobile Device

Silly I know but wasn't we not all taught this basic thing at school?

Ohhhh a double negative and an incorrect person in the past tense in the one sentence! LOL "Silly I know, but were we not all taught this basic thing at school."

Hope you don't mind me "pulling your leg". :hug: I do like correct grammar, but some people weren't taught it, or didn't pick it up, so I accept whatever people write.

I thought it was just me.

I always always read through my posts to make sure that there are no errors. Apparently there is a spell check in Salon Geek but considering I have been on this site since way back when and I am a Premium Geek and apparently it's in the editor mode I can't for the life of me find it. I mean come on I can hardly start a thread "Where's the Text Editor?" So I could ask a Moderator but I am too embarrassed. So please WHERE IS IT????? lol

What really gets up my goat is no matter how many times I read my post I think thats it, perfect and hit post and then when it goes live I see an error. Whats that all about? :eek: So there I am again in editor mode. Anal who me? Probably, either that or the teacher in me! I do however lighten up in the blogs make it more friendly but still ok.

Final word, I have an IT degree and I will not figure out how to use text on a mobile, I hate mobiles and always have. My friends laugh at me and say send me a text. No Way!! Just blumming phone its easier, just keep it short, its simple! My mobile is for emergencies only, its all too Big Brother for my liking. When I'm out I'm out and if I don't want to be reached I'm unreachable, try me later, its no big deal. And don't even get me started on the loudmouths telling all and sundry their conversations in public..........

Love this thread :lol:

anne xx

PS I am going to check out this book, sounds a laugh!

Last edited:
It is text talk that I really can't stand. It takes me ages to read it as I have to translate every word. I don't use the spell check on here so do have the odd mistake, so I do forgive the odd typo :) xx

It is text talk that I really can't stand. It takes me ages to read it as I have to translate every word. I don't use the spell check on here so do have the odd mistake, so I do forgive the odd typo :) xx

If they can't be bothered to use correct type I cant be bothered to read it.

anne xx

If you want a really mind blowing experience, then go onto www.bebo.com. It really is like reading a foreign language.

I agree with what you say about the lack of capital letters etc and my pet hate is when people mean to spell 'lose' and spell it 'loose'.

Ohhhh a double negative and an incorrect person in the past tense in the one sentence! LOL "Silly I know, but were we not all taught this basic thing at school."

Hope you don't mind me "pulling your leg". :hug: I do like correct grammar, but some people weren't taught it, or didn't pick it up, so I accept whatever people write.

Ha ha. As I scrolled down the thread I saw this hi-lighted, argh! I think I had not, nots on the brain :). That'll be the 'Yorkshire' coming out in me!
I never said I wasn't falliable. :lol: I drive myself mad correcting what I have written.

What really gets up my goat is no matter how many times I read my post I think thats it, perfect and hit post and then when it goes live I see an error. Whats that all about? :eek: So there I am again in editor mode. Anal who me? Probably, either that or the teacher in me! I do however lighten up in the blogs make it more friendly but still ok.

I do the same. I read and re-read. I'm sure there is someone playing with our minds! :eek:

I just don't 'get' text talk. At all. If I receive a text in this format then 9 times out of 10 I misunderstand the message.
The problem with text talk is that it has now filtered over to the written word. My staff often leave me messages partly written in text talk. I feel my temples throb just thinking about it! ;)

Ha ha. As I scrolled down the thread I saw this hi-lighted, argh! I think I had not, nots on the brain :). That'll be the 'Yorkshire' coming out in me!
I never said I wasn't falliable. :lol: I drive myself mad correcting what I have written.

Well you fine Geeks if you havn't sussed it by now I am Yorkshire and proud and I have no compunctions to use my local dialect to get my point across. Providing its all grammatically correct and no spelling mistakes :lol: I do it everyday speech and when I did my teacher training I was pulled up for it by my mentor when I did my first practise in a private school. I am who I am and I won't change to please someone else, get this it came from a rugby playing Yorkshire man :lol: he should have known better lol. If I make mistakes I admit them.

I do the same. I read and re-read. I'm sure there is someone playing with our minds! :eek:

LOL thats hilarious

Honestly, this thread is fab, so funny and just what I needed :hug: :hug:

anne xx

I understand what you are saying Annie, but I think when you teach you have to be prepared to adapt. I have a me voice, a teaching voice, a telephone voice, and a mad angry PMT woman voice :)

Please excuse any spelling mistakes, I have a new laptop, word isn't installed and I'm haveing a bit of trouble getting a spell checker to work, but I had to comment:)
I love that book, Eat's Shoots and leaves. You can feel the frustration in the writers words.
I recently ended up in an argument with my god daughter on face book, wall to wall and I commented on how I thought her mother had wasted her money giving her a public school education, because she was unable to form a complete paragraph without resorting to text speak.
She managed two whole sentences and then her temper got the better of her and back came the text speak and the inaccurate abrieviations AHHHHHHHHHH.
So I high lighted the mistakes and sent it back:lol:
We've had a few threads on here on this subject, so no, you are not alone:hug:

Well you fine Geeks if you havn't sussed it by now I am Yorkshire and proud and I have no compunctions to use my local dialect to get my point across. Providing its all grammatically correct and no spelling mistakes :lol: I do it everyday speech and when I did my teacher training I was pulled up for it by my mentor when I did my first practise in a private school. I am who I am and I won't change to please someone else, get this it came from a rugby playing Yorkshire man :lol: he should have known better lol. If I make mistakes I admit them.

LOL thats hilarious

Honestly, this thread is fab, so funny and just what I needed :hug: :hug:

anne xx
Ha ha, well you should know by now that depending on what part of Yorkshire you come from counts with accents!
I am in Bridlington and they all laugh at Hull accents. Those in Hull make fun of West Yorkshire accents and they all like to have a dig at South Yorkshire accents! :lol:

You can just imagine what they make of me with my Broad Essex/East London accent! Not forgetting to add the odd Brid phrase I have picked up. ;) I am can only imagine I sound like a mongrel, if dogs could speak. ;)

I travel through the North teaching and I always get an open mouthed response to my voice when teaching in Yorkshire. :)

I'd like to think I have a phone, me and teaching voice but I have been known to tell little white lies to myself. :lol:

Please excuse any spelling mistakes, I have a new laptop, word isn't installed and I'm haveing a bit of trouble getting a spell checker to work, but I had to comment:)
I love that book, Eat's Shoots and leaves. You can feel the frustration in the writers words.
I recently ended up in an argument with my god daughter on face book, wall to wall and I commented on how I thought her mother had wasted her money giving her a public school education, because she was unable to form a complete paragraph without resorting to text speak.
She managed two whole sentences and then her temper got the better of her and back came the text speak and the inaccurate abrieviations AHHHHHHHHHH.
So I high lighted the mistakes and sent it back:lol:
We've had a few threads on here on this subject, so no, you are not alone:hug:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: That is great! I would love to just have my hi-lighter pen poised, permanently!

Latest posts

Back