Good grammar, has it gone?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to think I have a phone, me and teaching voice but I have been known to tell little white lies to myself. :lol:

Trouble is my daughter always p***es herself laughing when she hears any one of my other voices. Yes even when I am teaching a full class.

I can always tell when somebody very young has posted on here. The spelling and grammar is appalling! I often make mistakes when I type, as I'm not used to typing and prefer to write longhand. I have had illegible CV's sent to me, which I too bin straightaway. Do they not get taught English at school anymore? (Anyone with children, please reply as I am genuinely interested)

I never said I wasn't falliable. :lol: I drive myself mad correcting what I have written.

Hmmm...

"never said I wasn't falliable" is a double negative

falliable" should be fallible

"Greengrocers apostrophes are the worst!" should be greengrocers'

But their again, its' true that none of us are purfect!

:rolleyes:

Hmmm...

Ha ha, although in the first instance I was being silly as I referred to my first double negative, hence the smilies. :) You got me on the spelling though, d'oh!

Or could be greengrocer's depending on personal preference :lol::lol::lol:

I am now asking for it with this thread, and I'm sure now all my posts will be suitably scrutinised! ;)

I understand what you are saying Annie, but I think when you teach you have to be prepared to adapt. I have a me voice, a teaching voice, a telephone voice, and a mad angry PMT woman voice :)

Oh don't get me wrong there is definately a time and a place and you have to assess which voice to use. However, would never "put on" a voice its just an improved version of my voice if you see what I mean. One that is more precise but not posh. The mentor basically told me to tone down my accent, which I found quite offensive.

In a secondary school class situation, especially Key Stage 3 sometimes a bit of local dialect can inject a little humour into the lesson. Makes classroom management easier. As they get older you adapt.

anne xx

Well I left the state education system a few years ago thank God!!

Now I teach privately I am allowed to be me. Not waiting for OFSTED to swan in through the door anymore lol.

Still have my teacher voice though - old habits die hard :)

Hmmm...

"But, there again, it's true that none of us is perfect"!!! :)

Count me in on this collective moan!

I don't have too much of a problem with text speak but I have a big problem with spelling mistakes. Spell check doesn't pick up on the various 'there's' and some people just don't seem to understand the differences.

As mentioned before, the use of the ' !!!!

I don't really mind about how someone's punctuation is as long as they have made the effort to make whatever they have written/typed understandable. If I cant read/understand it then how can I reply to it.

Feel free to rip my punctuation to bits....:lol:

I don't really mind about how someone's punctuation is as long as they have made the effort to make whatever they have written/typed understandable. If I cant read/understand it then how can I reply to it.

Feel free to rip my punctuation to bits....:lol:

I totally agree with Bagpuss, and as long as I can read it I don't really care too much,
I myself am not that good at grammar, punctuation or spelling.

I too don't much like text talk as I think its an insult to our lovely written English language ,
but then I also find it hard to fit in all my text message in one go,
plus people complain that I take ages to reply to a text, so I can see why people use it if only for speed :)

Glasgow dialect has a has a plural you - "yous", e.g. "Yous will all have to watch your spelling". I don't like it.

Good thread, enjoying this.

Glasgow dialect has a has a plural you - "yous", e.g. "Yous will all have to watch your spelling". I don't like it.

We have the same in Dublin... it's funny because this is the way I would speak, but would never write that way :)

This really annoys me......my hubby has been based up here for 10 years+ and quite often says ''yous'' I used to constantly tell him off for it....now I'm living here I'm a little more tolerant, it still annoys me but I tend to let it ride a little!

Dialect is a funny one. We have lived in East Yorkshire for 6 years and my kids now have the habit of saying;

'I arn't' in instead of, 'I'm not'.

That drives me crazy! Sometimes they even drop the 'ar' so it kind of comes out as 'n't'. That's not even a word. If I say anything I just get evil eyes! :lol:

Personally I actually like it when people use dialect and local colloquialism in speech be it either talk or text. This is just my preference as I personally believe it adds to the character of the person.

I love accents from all over and love it when I get the "What you on about" look when you have said something and you explain what you mean and you get the "OH RIGHT" effect, its just so interesting to me. Just adds character and thats what makes us all special and unique.

anne xx

Personally I actually like it when people use dialect and local colloquialism in speech be it either talk or text. This is just my preference as I personally believe it adds to the character of the person.

I love accents from all over and love it when I get the "What you on about" look when you have said something and you explain what you mean and you get the "OH RIGHT" effect, its just so interesting to me. Just adds character and thats what makes us all special and unique.

anne xx

I do too Anne, it's just the 'yous' that annoys me...it's my anal tendencies again....it's more that its incorrect rather than a colloquialism.....iygwim??????

I have had a few strange looks using my Yorkshire terminology up here, like when I refer to the ginnel (sp?) beside my house. I suppose that could be a whole new thread!!

I do too Anne, it's just the 'yous' that annoys me...it's my anal tendencies again....it's more that its incorrect rather than a colloquialism.....iygwim??????

I have had a few strange looks using my Yorkshire terminology up here, like when I refer to the ginnel (sp?) beside my house. I suppose that could be a whole new thread!!

I have a ginnel too and whenever i say I hate it when cars go down me ginnel I get looks like WHAAATTT!!!! LOL :lol: :lol: Thing is Lou it really worries me cos its so dangerous and they go at such speed! NOW Lou everyones gonna be thinking whats them two on about, you know I'm feeling cruel let them figure it out for themselves (or google it) :lol:

anne xx

I have a ginnel too and whenever i say I hate it when cars go down me ginnel I get looks like WHAAATTT!!!! LOL :lol: :lol: Thing is Lou it really worries me cos its so dangerous and they go at such speed! NOW Lou everyones gonna be thinking whats them two on about, you know I'm feeling cruel let them figure it out for themselves (or google it) :lol:

anne xx

I was very confused with the word ginnel when I first moved up here. We always called it an alleyway in Essex. Now though, I do find I call it a ginnel more often than not!

I have the same issue with twittens, which is an old Sussex dialect word for alleyways. I always get odd looks if I say "my mother would never let me go up twittens"!!!

I have the same issue with twittens, which is an old Sussex dialect word for alleyways. I always get odd looks if I say "my mother would never let me go up twittens"!!!

We call them 'closies', and were not allowed to go up them in the dark either! lol

I actually hate bad grammer, but it's just something you have to deal with.
My hubby is a very bright guy, he just didn't pay attention at school, so has really bad grammer and spelling.
The one thing I really hate is when people use words completely out of context, or substitute words for a similar word.
My daughter and hubby both say, 'pass me THEM crisps'! I'm always screaming 'THOSE', 'THOSE'!
I also hate the their, there and they're thing. Drives you mad!

Latest posts

Back