Grammar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No one is picking for the sake of it. It's about better understanding. If someone is writing something constructive and worth reading, then we should all be able to READ it.

As regards what is going on in the world, maybe if we all communicated better and understood each other better we wouldn't have all the problems we do as humans.

Sorry ...i have to disagree....i can read someones post even if it is textalk...(hard yes ..but i read it !!!)....i think if someone posts on here , new or old , we should read it....

As for us all getting on better as humans if we communicated better...i was getting on the fact that....cancer is about and road crashes...so there are more important things than grammar....that's what i meant.

Sorry ...i have to disagree....i can read someones post even if it is textalk...(hard yes ..but i read it !!!)....i think if someone posts on here , new or old , we should read it....

Would you however be able to read text talk if English wasn't your first language? I would imagine not.

As to whether someone posts on here, new or old, IMHO if the poster wants everyone to be courteous enough to read their questions/posts then they should be courteous enough to write their post to the best of their ability.

As for us all getting on better as humans if we communicated better...i was getting on the fact that....cancer is about and road crashes...so there are more important things than grammar....that's what i meant.

Although I understand what you are saying, we can't live our lives thinking that way IMO, if we did why would any of us work, go out, fly ......IYKWIM.

Although I understand what you are saying, we can't live our lives thinking that way IMO, if we did why would any of us work, go out, fly ......IYKWIM.

Can i ask ...what does IYKWIM mean !!!????....can i just say...i write my posts the best that i can....all i want to do is reply to a post , blog or thread and help someone or get told off !!!!....

As you can all see ...i know start with capital letter and do paragraphs..i also use spell check....i am trying..... when i never before...i was not being lazy or inconsiderate to others....i was just answering a thread.

I can also see what your saying...thanks xx

I certainly didnt know what lol was untill I kept seeing it here on this site...likewise"hun" is an abreviation that some might see as inapropriate..so I guess what some see as acceptable others may not .

We should all do our best to be as accurate and correct as is possible given our individual limitations when communicating to others..

Admittedly I use the words hun, love, sweetie, sweetheart, mate all the time.
I have a terrible memory for names and find refering to someone by their user ID if it's not actually their name a bit thoughtless at times.
If it's inappropriate to anyone I'm sorry and promise to call people who don't like it hunnybunnydarling from now on:)

I have a terrible memory for names and find refering to someone by their user ID if it's not actually their name a bit thoughtless at times.
If it's inappropriate to anyone I'm sorry and promise to call people who don't like it hunnybunnydarling from now on:)

Good to hear it hunny bunch :lol::lol:

I too am guilty of using hun and sweetie etc... but this is the way i talk as well(which those who have met me will know) and i do get told off for this at work as its calssed as too informal, but in fairness i teach a lot of older people and this is the way they speak, so i just follow suite.

As for the spelling grammar thing, i have to point out to you if i was made to handwrite my blogs etc you would not find a single error, but unfortunately passion(and my spellchecker doesnt work anymore) get the better of me, although i do often go back and edit my posts so you can read them as they are atrocious in the begining.

I have to say i do not like struggling to read something especially text talk i really cant get my head around half of it but there again i am getting on a bit now.

What is IYKWIM ?

If You Know What I Mean

Do you mean that you don't like to call someone by their username if that's not their real name? Just curious.

I often use the user name because the real name may not be in the signature of their post and I can't figure out what their name is!

You can call me hunnybunnydarling anytime!:)

Do you mean that you don't like to call someone by their username if that's not their real name? Just curious.

I often use the user name because the real name may not be in the signature of their post and I can't figure out what their name is!

You can call me hunnybunnydarling anytime!:)

Well in all honesty it's just the way I speak. I wouldn't be me if I didn't call people love or lovey etc.
But I couldn't say "great to speak to you Curly"..it just doesn't work for me :lol:

Well in all honesty it's just the way I speak. I wouldn't be me if I didn't call people love or lovey etc.
But I couldn't say "great to speak to you Curly"..it just doesn't work for me :lol:

Ahh... I get it! It does sound strange...

Personally, I love all you Brit's that call me hunny or flower. I always feel special.... til I see it all the other posts lol!:green:

One thing that really really annoys me is when a post isn't separated by paragraphs but by ....... that really ****s me and I don't bother to read the post.
Guilty as charged, but no embarrassed smiley face lol... :)Look_left see lol :wink2:), I use it more as a continuation where a full stop and a comma are both useless, no different to what I do when I'm speaking to someone :D

Not if I get there first :lol: Text talk is a pet hate of mine unless it's on a text message to my mobile/cell phone and if I see a post in the professional forums (hair, nails, skin, biz) with text talk in it then I'll painstakingly edit it 'translating' it to English... it isn't fair on our international geeks whose first language isn't English to have to try to decipher text talk.

Grammar, well, that's another matter, some people find it easier than others, while I appreciate that we all should try our best I don't think it's the end of the world if the odd semi colon or inverted commas are forgotten, we all 'get' the general gist of a post providing it's in our best English, don't we?

Guilty as charged, but no embarrassed smiley face lol... :)Look_left see lol :wink2:), I use it more as a continuation where a full stop and a comma are both useless, no different to what I do when I'm speaking to someone :D

I'm a big lover of .... too. It just says something you can't quite put in words.... if you know what I mean....

Not if I get there first :lol: Text talk is a pet hate of mine unless it's on a text message to my mobile/cell phone and if I see a post in the professional forums (hair, nails, skin, biz) with text talk in it then I'll painstakingly edit it 'translating' it to English... it isn't fair on our international geeks whose first language isn't English to have to try to decipher text talk.

Agreed. My first language is English and I can't figure many out. I mean where is the logic in soz meaning sorry?

Grammar, well, that's another matter, some people find it easier than others, while I appreciate that we all should try our best I don't think it's the end of the world if the odd semi colon or inverted commas are forgotten, we all 'get' the general gist of a post providing it's in our best English, don't we?

I think if geeks give it a quick once over, it's all good.

No one is picking for the sake of it. It's about better understanding. If someone is writing something constructive and worth reading, then we should all be able to READ it.

As regards what is going on in the world, maybe if we all communicated better and understood each other better we wouldn't have all the problems we do as humans.

I think this is the biggest problems these days. While technology has offered wonderful tools to aid in communication, the very basics of it are being lost (note: as mentioned in this thread, spelling and grammar have taken a backseat in the education systems) so we aren't really any further ahead.

Once upon a time, people took great pride in their writing abilities, and in speaking with proper grammar etc.
Awards were given for penmanship.
In fact, 'classes' were divided clearly by their speech. It was indicative of their level of education and wealth. Proper pronunciation was a matter of pride.

Then education became mainstream and available to everyone, which should have improved our communications. However.. this doesn't seem to be the case.

Now I'm NOT saying that dividing people by classes is right. It's clearly wrong. What I'm trying to point out is that where people once strove to speak and/or write well and WANTED to be eloquent, they now seem to not care one whit.
Nowadays, many take pride in gutterspeak and text-talk, and make more effort to learn abbreviations than they do to write properly.

It seems we are going backwards?

Maybe it's because at one time, I was very poor in english. Then over the course of a summer, improved and now love to write. And so, I DO take pride in it. And I DO strive to better communicate ideas and thoughts, and emotions. I DO try to paint a picture with words.
I am NOT ashamed to say that I'm PROUD of what I've achieved and of my skills with a pen.

But when I read a thread like this, it makes it seem as if I should be ashamed of the pride I take in writing?

While I appreciate some people struggle, and do sincerely understand. I don't judge them. Truly I don't.
But for those that aren't hindered by dyslexia or other similar issues......
I honestly don't understand.

Anyway, just some thoughts
:hug:

Grammar went out the door with my Grandma.

Spellcheck (which many dont .... but should use) has taken over, as have calculators.

Ever had your change counted back lately without the girly having to check the register total?

I do get a good laugh though, quite often I fell i am answering posts from Vicky Pollard ....... it's my imagination that keeps me going:lol: and it's the Pollard-esque that keep our reputation as an industry where it is now.

Hi hun

This site may be of use for you
English Grammar and Writing : English language courses, English Grammar Online

I was searching around trying to find something to help my son.

I have to say that at school these days they don't seem to correct spelling and grammar mistakes in red ink like they used to. How are kids going to learn if they aren't corrected? I once asked a teacher why they weren't highlighting the mistakes (he did) but he said a lot of teachers think its demotivating! How ridiculous.

Deb379

One thing that really really annoys me is when a post isn't separated by paragraphs but by ....... that really ****s me and I don't bother to read the post. Usually when posts are like that they don't use capitals either.

Not pointing fingers here because I can't recall seeing any posts like this but on another forum I know there are a few members and that's how every post is. I won't read any of them because it hurts my eyes.

That coupled with txt spk and I'm ready to hurl my laptop across the room. Or when the entire post is in capitals. That hurts my eyes too.

Ooooohhhh so you won't have read my posts then....and you certainly won't be reading this.... :lol:

Latest posts

Back