Great Article posted by Persianista on FB .. everyone should read it!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not related to the thread a such, but this REALLY pees me off. I like to buy nice things sometimes. So when I walk into a nice shop and the assistants look at me like I shouldn't be there it winds me right up.

When I bought my new car last year, the guy I went to obviously thought I was a time waster 'just looking' at a gooooorgeous red convertible. Because let's face it, I'm young and sometimes do look like a bit of scruff lol. So I went back the next day to see someone else and bought the car. I'd been saving for a house, so I dipped into that! Lol.

Looks can definitely be deceiving and you should never make an assumption, you just never know!

I have had this happen to me a few times. I cried all the way home from a dress shop once because they were so horrid to me.
There was NOTHING in that dress shop that I couldnt afford. It cost them a sale PLUS I told the world how nasty they were. As the local haidresser, I told a lot of clients. That must have cost them a few bob.

Not related to the thread a such, but this REALLY pees me off. I like to buy nice things sometimes. So when I walk into a nice shop and the assistants look at me like I shouldn't be there it winds me right up.

When I bought my new car last year, the guy I went to obviously thought I was a time waster 'just looking' at a gooooorgeous red convertible. Because let's face it, I'm young and sometimes do look like a bit of scruff lol. So I went back the next day to see someone else and bought the car. I'd been saving for a house, so I dipped into that! Lol.

Looks can definitely be deceiving and you should never make an assumption, you just never know!

My husband gets this all the time. He wears a uniform for work so when he's home he likes to be comfy. We went into a very nice kitchen showroom and they just looked down their noses at us. They didn't even want to speak to us. Lost a huge sale that day!
Vicki xx

Big mistake - HUGE! ;)

I run occasional offers but its the type where they have to book in for a 2nd treament to get a small discount, dont do it very often but tbh I am seriously thinking I'm going to have to get another job, I really just don't know what else to try to get regular regulars, I have regulars that get treatments every few months or even weeks but only a handful on a regular basis.
My products are excellant, my work is good, just dunno how to get the right customers in apart from standing outside expensive salons trying to poach :biggrin: lol
And I would rather throw the towel in that work for peanuts using groupon, I would personally feel like I was devaluing my work and products xx

So much in this thread makes a lot of sense!
I HATE discounts!
I have done it a few times in the past but when leaving with less money then usual it felt so wrong! As a result I stopped doing it!

I offer treatment upgrades and little treats for my regulars but not for new clients as I like to look after the ladies that look after me.

I remember well a long time ago Gigi taught us - Do not discount! If you want to make them feel special then offer them a little gift, because which ever way you work it out, a gift will 'cost' you less, is personal and the client will feel very special.

Great words of advice that I remember and still practice today.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

I completely agree with this. I've put a loyalty scheme on the back of my business cards: get your 10th treatment half price. Means I'm still covering my treatment costs and I'm still making a small profit whilst rewarding only loyal customers. Time will tell how well it works.

I'm thinking 10% off your next treatment when you refer a friend who has a treatment with me. Bring more clients to me as at the moment that's what I need.

So yes it's not a discount just given out to everyone. I believe people should earn something and by being loyal that's how they earn it. I've set my prices well in line with what I believe is fair and what the industry recommends.

I did a friends nails for free for a case study when I was training because she didn't ask me for them, I asked her. She then returned to me for waxing not long after. Made a client, a profit and product costs for both treatments back with that so some friends don't take advantage! x

I do monthly offers and I must say it has pulled people in and I have kept them as clients. However my offers NEVER discount - they are almost like package offers, so clients are getting a good deal, but I'm not losing out on much. I had a shellac hands and feet offer on last month and I converted a lot of people to shellac who have booked in to get it redone.
This month I am promoting MYscara with an introductory offer and I also do a loyalty points scheme that my clients really love.
However, some of my prices are not very high and we are moving premises in a couple of months and I know I will have to increase the prices. Not looking forward to it as I don't want to lose clients but I'm afraid needs must.
Great thread guys! Xx

I do introductory offers on new treatments and sometimes do offers for new members of staff.
I can't quite get my head round the groupon/living social/kgb offers.
You are working for practically nothing and only attracting clients who want cheap services.
It's much easier to upsell to your existing clients. It's so easy to talk a client who comes in for an eyebrow wax, to have a tint. A lot of clients have never had a tint and when they see the result then next month they will book for it again along with their wax.
Clients trust your judgement and if you recommend a service or a product that you think will be beneficial to them, then they will listen to you.
'Oh Mrs Smith, you have lovely lashes and they would look absolutely amazing with an LVL treatment'. It's as easy as that!
I had my botox nurse in today as I treated my therapist to some botox for her birthday. I was in the room watching and saying how I would maybe like some fillers. She looked at me and said 'What I would do for you is a bit of fillers in your nasolabial lines and, you have the most amazing shaped lips but they could do with filling out as they're a bit thin. You'll love it and it will make a big difference'.
Now I've spent all day looking at my lips thinking hmmmmmm they are rather on the thin side so maybe I will!
You don't need to be pushy, you just need to offer you opinion and expertise.It works for me!

I do introductory offers on new treatments and sometimes do offers for new members of staff.
I can't quite get my head round the groupon/living social/kgb offers.
You are working for practically nothing and only attracting clients who want cheap services.
It's much easier to upsell to your existing clients. It's so easy to talk a client who comes in for an eyebrow wax, to have a tint. A lot of clients have never had a tint and when they see the result then next month they will book for it again along with their wax.
Clients trust your judgement and if you recommend a service or a product that you think will be beneficial to them, then they will listen to you.
'Oh Mrs Smith, you have lovely lashes and they would look absolutely amazing with an LVL treatment'. It's as easy as that!
I had my botox nurse in today as I treated my therapist to some botox for her birthday. I was in the room watching and saying how I would maybe like some fillers. She looked at me and said 'What I would do for you is a bit of fillers in your nasolabial lines and, you have the most amazing shaped lips but they could do with filling out as they're a bit thin. You'll love it and it will make a big difference'.
Now I've spent all day looking at my lips thinking hmmmmmm they are rather on the thin side so maybe I will!
You don't need to be pushy, you just need to offer you opinion and expertise.It works for me!

Everything angelina has said I agree with. I always suggest new things to my clients. I'll even give them a wee demo to see what they're missing. If you have s client lying there with a tint or lash perm on, shape and buff to shine a few of their nails and tidy up the cuticles. I bet they will book for a manicure. I painted a little White tip on one of my clients scruffiest nails the other day to show her how much diff a proper polish makes. She booked before she left to come back same day. Shes having shellac next time too.

Show clients their options, don't lie to sell stuff, and they will trust your opinion when you recommend stuff. :) ...I've even suggested a lip wax to people. And rather than being embarrassed most of them say 'I've been thinking about that myself'.

Try to always talk to every client about beauty treatments. Not just chit chat. :)

Fantastic thread! Totally agree with not discounting.

I stopped doing monthly offers about 6 months ago - I wanted to see what would happen. I continued to do well.

At the start of the summer everyone was putting on major offers - I thought about it and decided not to do it and it's been a really good summer.

Isn't it so much nicer doing a treatment and getting the full rate? :p

& like Persinata keeps emphasising I have got so much better at retailing extras and doing it in a nice genuine way ...

tease them with it.. then back off a little... then tease them again ... & its chi ching lets hear the till ring :D

I love the essence of this thread - bringing good sensible business practises into the beauty industry at a time when the economy is shaky and it would be so easy to get scared and start offering silly prices.

Everything angelina has said I agree with. I always suggest new things to my clients. I'll even give them a wee demo to see what they're missing. If you have s client lying there with a tint or lash perm on, shape and buff to shine a few of their nails and tidy up the cuticles. I bet they will book for a manicure. I painted a little White tip on one of my clients scruffiest nails the other day to show her how much diff a proper polish makes. She booked before she left to come back same day. Shes having shellac next time too.

Show clients their options, don't lie to sell stuff, and they will trust your opinion when you recommend stuff. :) ...I've even suggested a lip wax to people. And rather than being embarrassed most of them say 'I've been thinking about that myself'.

Try to always talk to every client about beauty treatments. Not just chit chat. :)

The appointment time you have with that client is called your "air time". You have that clients attention.
a mistake often made is that we assume people know whats on offer as much as we do. Talk to the average punter about glossing (hair) and they have no idea that this is available (redken crystal clear). Few non industry people know about myscara, some don't know about shellac.

Informing clients and offering advice is not the same as selling to them.
If you are cutting their hair, it reassures people that you are "into" your subject, up to date and well informed. Ditto if you are a therapist. YOU need to be well informed about your services and products so that you have professional credibilty. YOU need to know the details of what you are using and why.

It means not talking too much about yourself, your hols, their hols, but keeping it on their hair/beauty/nails. We retail very seriously in our salon, and it is through focus, training and "being bothered".

Just on the back of this thread regarding discounting I wonder if I could ask the more experienced geeks a little advice.

I am newly mobile, until a few months ago I was operating friends, family...friends of friends etc and now fully mobile. Its going well and I'm busy which is great.

I have had quite a few people contacting me for "quotes" and they proceed to tell me what someone else (although they never name the other party) has quoted them. For example a few weeks ago a girl wanted a quote for her bridal party (bride +3 bmaids and mum so 5 altogether). She wanted them all gel extensions, shellac toes + spray tans. I dont do spray tanning but referred her to a friend who does who said she would do them at £12 each for Sienna. Anyhow, I said I would do a group discount, which I have before for parties or bridal parties etc etc but she came back to say my quote was excessive (i didnt agree) and another girl had offered her £98.50 for ALL 5 to have extensions, shellac toes and spray tans....so less than £20 for extensions, shellac and a tan???? I just said the usual that I use the best products - CND, Backscratchers bla bla and that she could be assured the service from me would be excellent but that there would be no way I could possibly charge as low as that and best wishes for her forthcoming nuptials etc.

Today I've had yet another person ask for her and her mum, extensions and shellac toes...£33 each. I do an offer that if people have shellac toes AND fingers (or minx fingers/toes) i do them a combined discount so would happily split that between her and mum....but my price was still alot higher than £33.

I dont feel I should drop to these prices as for a start, they could be made up, and also, I know my nails are great and that the products I use are the best (in my opinion and i'm sure many others !!) so dont feel I should cheapen my service. Also word gets out then their "friends" will expect the same discounts...!

Has anyone experienced similar, does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle without being rude but remaining firm & confident in your own product/treatment offering?

Em X

Just on the back of this thread regarding discounting I wonder if I could ask the more experienced geeks a little advice.

I am newly mobile, until a few months ago I was operating friends, family...friends of friends etc and now fully mobile. Its going well and I'm busy which is great.

I have had quite a few people contacting me for "quotes" and they proceed to tell me what someone else (although they never name the other party) has quoted them. For example a few weeks ago a girl wanted a quote for her bridal party (bride +3 bmaids and mum so 5 altogether). She wanted them all gel extensions, shellac toes + spray tans. I dont do spray tanning but referred her to a friend who does who said she would do them at £12 each for Sienna. Anyhow, I said I would do a group discount, which I have before for parties or bridal parties etc etc but she came back to say my quote was excessive (i didnt agree) and another girl had offered her £98.50 for ALL 5 to have extensions, shellac toes and spray tans....so less than £20 for extensions, shellac and a tan???? I just said the usual that I use the best products - CND, Backscratchers bla bla and that she could be assured the service from me would be excellent but that there would be no way I could possibly charge as low as that and best wishes for her forthcoming nuptials etc.

Today I've had yet another person ask for her and her mum, extensions and shellac toes...£33 each. I do an offer that if people have shellac toes AND fingers (or minx fingers/toes) i do them a combined discount so would happily split that between her and mum....but my price was still alot higher than £33.

I dont feel I should drop to these prices as for a start, they could be made up, and also, I know my nails are great and that the products I use are the best (in my opinion and i'm sure many others !!) so dont feel I should cheapen my service. Also word gets out then their "friends" will expect the same discounts...!

Has anyone experienced similar, does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle without being rude but remaining firm & confident in your own product/treatment offering?

Em X

I just hand them a price list or direct them to my website where the prices are displayed.
Regarding the "she does it for ten pounds down the road" question, I would just smile sweetly and say, "we publish our prices, and they are all in the price list" I DO NOT JUSTIFY MY PRICES. Nor do I negotiate. I charge at the upper end for hairdressers in my area.

I don't apologise for charging more than an 18 year old fresh out of college. You want cheap, go to her. You want the best, come to me!

Do you really want clients who do not want you to earn your living? That is exactly what they are asking for! Would they take a pay cut themselves?

Let those clients go to the cheapest. You want the ones who want the best.
I don't chase the clients who want the 18 year old's prices. I want the clients who are happy to pay for my skill and experience.

I just hand them a price list or direct them to my website where the prices are displayed.
Regarding the "she does it for ten pounds down the road" question, I would just smile sweetly and say, "we publish our prices, and they are all in the price list" I DO NOT JUSTIFY MY PRICES. Nor do I negotiate. I charge at the upper end for hairdressers in my area.

I don't apologise for charging more than an 18 year old fresh out of college. You want cheap, go to her. You want the best, come to me!

Do you really want clients who do not want you to earn your living? That is exactly what they are asking for! Would they take a pay cut themselves?

I don't chase the clients who want the 18 year old's prices. I want the clients who are happy to pay for my skill and experience.

Thank you! I guess I just wanted someone to say out loud what I was thinking. I have said to each that I am confident in my services and the fact I am mobile my prices are already competitive, my prices are inline with mobile technicians etc in the area and I think I more than justify it as I have regulars etc!

Some people can just be rude, i will do this re directing them to price lists, really helpful to know that its fine to stand strong as others do!

Thank you again. Em x

The girl who runs my pole dancing classes is now starting to teach aerial hoop and doing one of the groupon style deals to get it up and running. She said to me "I'll let you know when it's online and you can buy it"

I said..... Would u not be better off just taking the money off me and not paying the fee that the groupon on whatever will charge? Don't think shed realised that. So she may be telling more and more people about the online deal.... So costing her even more money than just doing the discount as well!!!

The girl who runs my pole dancing classes is now starting to teach aerial hoop and doing one of the groupon style deals to get it up and running. She said to me "I'll let you know when it's online and you can buy it"

I said..... Would u not be better off just taking the money off me and not paying the fee that the groupon on whatever will charge? Don't think shed realised that. So she may be telling more and more people about the online deal.... So costing her even more money than just doing the discount as well!!!

Some people aren't made for business, As good as they may be at their job! :(

My favourite comeback line is "You get what you pay for" and i then often follow that up with...."some people prefer simple moisturiser....i prefer clarins".
In my opinion ,and i am not rich and do not have money to throw around,i wouldnt pay less than £25-£30 for a facial....or a tenner for a massage....i'd be thinking to myself "what the hell has she put on my skin to be charging that little". To be honest when a treatment in the nail,beauty ,hair industry appears "cheap" it normally rings alarm bells for me....and i often ask "why's it so cheap??"

A-mazing article... people people no more bargin basement... so much great advice I've nothing to add except Sell Yourselves, Sell Your Services and you'll Sell Your business.

Its hard work and determination that makes a successful business, groupon have the right idea... for themselves!

And Louise... You are amazing... raise your prices... you will get no complaints and any clients that leave you 1) need head checked 2) will free up space for another lovely client :cool:

Was walking in town today and saw a hairdressers with 'brand new loyalty cards' (or something to that effect) and smiled to myself that this huge poster didn't say 50% off your first treatment on wednesday or something x

Latest posts

Back