Grit - do you know what is what?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
I thought as we have had a lot of discussion lately about what grit nail files to use in nail prep etc, I therefore, thought it may help to give a basic low down on which grit does what!

This is my understanding - I appreciate that others may disagree with what I say, but my intention is to give a guide to people who are relatively new on the site as to the meaning of grits and what they do!

:green:​

What exactly is grit on a nail file or buffer?

Well, it is the number of grains of the abrasive material in a one inch square.

The higher the number of grains, the more (and smaller) the grains, so
therefore, more fine.

Therefore, the lower the number of grains of grit, the fewer (and larger) the grains, so therefore, more coarse.

Buffing smoothing and shining

12000/900 Super Fine

Used for your final smoothing and shining.

900/499 Extra Fine

Used for finishing on the natural nail.

Used for filing down ridges on the natural nail.

Used as final smoothing prior to buffing and shining the nail.

400/240 Fine

Used for removing the shine from the natural nail.

Used for finishing filing on acrylics and gels.

Used for filing on wraps/fabric.

Reducing and removing bulk of gel and acrylic.

240/150 Medium

Used to remove the shine from the surface of the natural nail.

Used for the heavy and light shaping of the free edge of acrylics and gels.

150 Coarse

Used to reduce the length of acrylics and gels.

Used for the shaping of acrylics and gels.

60-80 Extra Coarse

Used to reduce the length of extra long acrylic and gel nails or for the shaping of very thick acrylics and gels.

(Can't ever say I have ever used such a high grit, but as they are available, I thought I would add them in!)

As has been said many times before, the best thing do do with a file is to use it well and safely - nobody wants to intentionally damage their clients nails!

HTHs - happy geeking :hug:

great thread debs
very useful xx

great info Debbie

many thanks

Thanks geeky ones :green:

I have to admit when I started out in the industry, I always got mixed up which was which or what was what :lol: with regard to the coarseness of the grit! So I hope it will help a little bit :hug:

Well done Debs. :hug:

Could this be kept as a tutorial/sticky? I'm sure there are alot of geeks who would find it a useful reference.

A really handy reference for all Geeks who are a little unsure or the ones that just plain forgot!!

Thanks Debs! xxxxx:hug:

Well done Debs. :hug:

Could this be kept as a tutorial/sticky? I'm sure there are alot of geeks who would find it a useful reference.
Aww thank you :hug:

I did think about doing it as a tutorial/article, but wasn't sure whether it was appropriate - if it is perhaps one of the mods will sort it ???:green::green: or tell me how to change it :lol:

A really handy reference for all Geeks who are a little unsure or the ones that just plain forgot!!

Thanks Debs! xxxxx:hug:
That was part of the motivation for it - as I said earlier :lol: I was always getting my high grits mixed up with my low ones :lol:

Blonde -Snuggs Blonde is my name :lol: erm don't quite work as well as Bond - James Bond does it :lol:

I did think about doing it as a tutorial/article, but wasn't sure whether it was appropriate - if it is perhaps one of the mods will sort it ???:green::green: or tell me how to change it :lol:
Excellent idea:)

Yes, it should be a tutorial or an article.

Great idea Debbie.

Perhaps we could also add a part about which files have certain grits, eg blizzard = 100/180.

When I was in college this was a huge problem too for some - Once we all learnt when to use a particular grit we then had to remember which file that was.

I know there are a lot of other companies, maybe some geeks who use other brands could add their info too?

Just an idea though:)

Please.....please....please do this as what debs has done , is great for new and old geeks....

Thanks for this debs....your a diamond xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug::hug:

This is a great thread, good info thanks.:hug:

Great idea Debbie.

Perhaps we could also add a part about which files have certain grits, eg blizzard = 100/180.

When I was in college this was a huge problem too for some - Once we all learnt when to use a particular grit we then had to remember which file that was.

I know there are a lot of other companies, maybe some geeks who use other brands could add their info too?

Just an idea though:)

Our lovely Cathie suggested this as well last night in a PM - I had thought about it and decided that probably one bit of info at a time!

BUT I will do something for you all asap - promise :hug:

Please.....please....please do this as what debs has done , is great for new and old geeks....

Thanks for this debs....your a diamond xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug::hug:

:o:o:o you are such a sweetie - always so positive - it is a pleasure to see :hug:

This is a great thread, good info thanks.:hug:

You are more than welcome - glad you liked it :hug:

Fantastic thread Debbie...

and just what I need...

going to print it...and laminate it...!!!!! :lol:

Should definitely be a tutorial...because as someone who is new to the industry...it is easy to get lost amongst all the things that are not yet second nature to us...

Thank you... brilliant!!!

Jo xxxx

Our lovely Cathie suggested this as well last night in a PM - I had thought about it and decided that probably one bit of info at a time!

BUT I will do something for you all asap - promise :hug:

True, the problems we all start with could be due to trying to take in too much new info at once.

Thanks for putting this together though, hopefully it will help a lot of newbies and be a refresher for the rest of us.

True, the problems we all start with could be due to trying to take in too much new info at once.

Thanks for putting this together though, hopefully it will help a lot of newbies and be a refresher for the rest of us.
Thank you :hug:

I have the other thread started now (some of you may already know :green:) and I have kept it apart from this one!

It will be quite a long job, but hopefully be worth it in the end - some lovely geeks have sent me some info to add in and this has been a tremendous help :green:

http://www.salongeek.com/training/66958-files-buffers-all-brands-what-do-they-do.html Like I have said it is work in progress :hug:

take care :hug:

this thread is fab !!!! Grit is one of the things I have to stop and think about (a bit like getting my left and right mixed up, I do have trouble with that too)

so I am going to print this off and add it to my 'folder of useful things to reference'!

thank you xx

Great information, one of those things learned, understood then forgotton.

Another geek stated she would laminate the information, again, great idea.

Latest posts

Back