Guide colour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tan_Dan

Reaction score
Hi, my friend wants me to spray her on Saturday morning and then not wash the tan off. What are the possible issues here? Im guessing she will be darker with a less unatural colour as the guide colour will still be on and a possibility of her skin still smelling of tan. If it rains on her night out, will the guide colour run even if she allows 8 hours developing time or will it dry normally? (I guess the same question applies to her sweating if she hits the dance floor). Its her engagement party and although its her request to have than tan on Saturday, I want to make sure she knows all the possible factors. Her makeup and perfume wont make the tan go green afterwards will it, just before application?

Can I also ask, I know in order to get a tan, the DHA reacts with acids in dead skin cells, but why is a tan different on everyone?? Is it because everyone has different cells or is it to do with pigment and skin type/colour too? I know I should probably know this, but I dont recall touching on it in training or if we did, I can't remember the answer and people are asking me. The answer of 'everyones skin is different' seems to vague.

Thank you :D

Why don't you use a quick developing one! I know sienna x do one it's called 'tonight's the night' think it can develops in 2hours. Think they also do samples of it so you wouldn't need to buy a huge bottle.

I would imagine the tan would get everywhere if she didn't was it off. I agree, you should ask her if she wants to try a rapid tan x

If she is having it done sat morn she will be able to shower it by the evening. I use Sienna, and I've showered my normal 8% off after 2.5 hours and it has carried on developing. I always tell my clients that 5 hours is enough, I've never had anyone complain it hasn't developed. Once the DHA is in the skin, rinsing off the guide colour doesn't seem to matter.

Hi, my friend wants me to spray her on Saturday morning and then not wash the tan off. What are the possible issues here?

Keeping the guide colour on for longer than recomended will not mean the tan continues to develop (as once the skin reaction has happened in it's entirity then it's finished and it is a waste of time to keep it on). It cant be good for the skin to be covered in the tanning solution for the extreeme length of time either - she could possibly end up having break outs of spots all over because she cloged the pores for so long.

Im guessing she will be darker with a less unatural colour as the guide colour will still be on and a possibility of her skin still smelling of tan.

She will look redicalously dark and probably orangy becasue of the fully developed tan and the guide colour on top (tan underneath would look normal unless it's affected by something she does while keeping guide on - excess rubbing of clothing etc).

If it rains on her night out, will the guide colour run even if she allows 8 hours developing time or will it dry normally? (I guess the same question applies to her sweating if she hits the dance floor).

If it rains or she sweats the guide colour will run and look streaky (like tears wash away your foundation when you cry) and will be very noticable after all the guide colour is a sort of makeup that is not designed to be worn out and about in the manner she is intending.
It is also going to go on her clothes and possibly stain them (especailly where anything rubs (like a waistband).

Its her engagement party and although its her request to have than tan on Saturday, I want to make sure she knows all the possible factors. Her makeup and perfume wont make the tan go green afterwards will it, just before application?

The makeup and purfume could turn the tan green as it is the ingredients in the guide colour of the solution that react with purfume and makeup to go green and as she plans to keep it on there is a strong possibility of them still reacting.

Can I also ask, I know in order to get a tan, the DHA reacts with acids in dead skin cells, but why is a tan different on everyone?? Is it because everyone has different cells or is it to do with pigment and skin type/colour too?

Skin type has a huge amount to do with how your skin will react to a spray tan - just like it has a huge amount to do with how well you tan or burn in the sun. At the end of the day there are lots of things that affect how skin reacts to a spray tan - even what you eat can make a difference along with what products you put on your skin (not just moisturisers but things like purfumes, soap & shower gels too) and of course medication can also change how skin can react to DHA.

I know I should probably know this, but I dont recall touching on it in training or if we did, I can't remember the answer and people are asking me. The answer of 'everyones skin is different' seems to vague.

The answer everyones skin is different and will therefore react in it's own way should satify any client asking 'why you dont know how tanned they will go?'.

Thank you :D

Hope that helps.

You've all been a great help thank you. I don't have the time or funds to buy a rapid soluition. The tan I'm using has an 8 hour developing time, so whats the minimum you think I can get away with? Is it worth spraying her in a higher % seen as she will not be giving it the full 8 hours. Im scared of her washing it off and loosing some colour, as it must say allow 8 hours for a reason? Eeeek!! :(

What time is she having the tan?

It says allow 8 hours because that's the maximum. Which means that she could wash it off sooner. Personally, ive never left a tan on that long. 5/6 hours is my norm.

Generally, correct me if I'm wrong, once you get that sweet smell on your skin the DHA is doing it's job. So in effect, she should be safe to QUICKLY jump in the shower and rinse off the guide colour and it will carry on developing til it's finished. I have done this with all % solutions with normal results.

Ladies - thanks for all your help.

Kate - she has changed her appointment to Friday now, but your info will defo help for the future, thank you x

Glad you're sorted now! :)

Latest posts

Back