Hair extension maintenance advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I explained I am newly qualified at offering extensions which is why I was asking for advice. I was taught that micro bonds should not be left for 3 months they needed maintenance every 4-6 weeks and this is what most of the hair extensionists in my area offer the same maintenance routine as me!
Also as explained I have had no other issues with any other clients but this one.

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi ! Everyone gets taught different by te sounds of it. I got told to move up with the same ring but used my own initiative and thought surely they won't be as secure !
So I do maintenance at 8 weeks where I remove one at a time , brush matting and apply with a new ring ! This does take the same amount of time as a fitting if not longer but its time and a couple of £ on some rings. £50 I charge for this at 8 weeks xx

My Clients tend to lose between 1 and 5 extensions in the first 8 week so I re for those at the time of maintenance ! If there was any left over hair from the first fitting I take that and replace a few old ones with the new ones. Only 10 or so mostly at the front as that's the part that tends to be straightened / styled the most !
Hope that helps xx

As I explained I am newly qualified at offering extensions which is why I was asking for advice. I was taught that micro bonds should not be left for 3 months they needed maintenance every 4-6 weeks and this is what most of the hair extensionists in my area offer the same maintenance routine as me!
Also as explained I have had no other issues with any other clients but this one.

Every method of hair extensions which is attached as individual such as micro-rings, fusion bonds etc are meant to be worn for 3 months then removed. Yes maintenances can be done at any given time between then but personally and from experience 9 out 10 clients don't need this.

You've asked for advise and I've given mine, as I said if its just this 1 person out of many losing extensions then you either need to go through aftercare again or switch her to another method as micro-rings aren't for everybody...that was my advise to you.

If you are moving all the rings up every few weeks you are not only losing money but so are your clients. Maintenance is different to a refit.

Maintenance involves replacing any that are not secure and have slipped etc, the others stay where they are. You will be able to see the ones that have slipped as they will not be inline with the rest

Should your clients want a refit this is a separate appointment and a different (usually more expensive) charge

At the end of the day each client is different as to what they require at maintenance,not everyone is suited to micro rings, but this is usually ascertained at the consultation

I would separate maintenance and refit charges first and foremost hun ;-)

Hi again,

I appreciate you advice hairbyasya its was the way that you came across writing your first comment that hit me tbh! No offence but it didn't sound like you were giving advice which is why I stated again that I am newly qualified and that this is the only client I have had issues with! I 're went over the aftercare with her and she seemed to understand! After the thorough consultion I decided this is the best method for her! So will be going through the aftercare again.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong was as I did yours but I was just re stating that I have not long qualified!

Defo will be charging accordingly for a re fit and maintenance!

And with this client I will have to do a refit every 6-8 weeks which she understands as he hair just grows so quickly!

Thanks

Hi again,

I appreciate you advice hairbyasya its was the way that you came across writing your first comment that hit me tbh! No offence but it didn't sound like you were giving advice which is why I stated again that I am newly qualified and that this is the only client I have had issues with! I 're went over the aftercare with her and she seemed to understand! After the thorough consultion I decided this is the best method for her! So will be going through the aftercare again.

Sorry if you took my post the wrong was as I did yours but I was just re stating that I have not long qualified!

Defo will be charging accordingly for a re fit and maintenance!

And with this client I will have to do a refit every 6-8 weeks which she understands as he hair just grows so quickly!

Thanks

I'm wondering how much it grows in that short space of time lol

Personally, if I had a client that needed a refit in half the time the fittings are supposed to last, I would question whether micros were suitable for them in the first place.

They should be fitted and last for 3 months with an optional maintenance if they desire.

The same rings should also never be used.

That's what I thought, I don't do a re-fit in all the time they have them in just maintenance appointments x

My clients hair grows a good inch every 4 ish weeks!

Thank you guys for all the help and advice!

Going to refit on Thursday! And hopefully this resolves it!

Sorry if I seem off with people just getting frustrated with the 'lack' of training I have been provided! After a week of being ill last week this was the last thing I wanted :L Am going to look into another course :)

Thanks again, it's much appreciated

Xx

My clients wear for 3 months, remove and refit.
I would offer a 4 week check-up maintenance to put back any that have come out but expecting clients to pay every 4 and 8 weeks is not value for money and personally feel the slippage is down to application or poor aftercare which needs to be addressed. If all base has been covered then you might be best switching methods.

Hi Hun, if your client hasn't come in after 4 weeks for a check up, and leaves them in for the full 12 weeks before removal, don't you find that the natural hair is extremely matted?

I have resolved the issue she freshly washed the hair before and I refitted with new rings and she has had none come out or slipped since! I have again gone over the after care information too so she is 100% clear!

Thanks again! X

We charge 50% of the original price for maintenance/refit

Latest posts

Back