Hard Skin Removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GemmaBear

Reaction score
Can anyone clarify the situation on using a razor to remove hard skin on feet? At college i was told not to use these as they were illegal(??) but they are widely available in local suppliers and in superdrug! Also when i have had a pedicure in a nail bar they used this and i have found the skin comes back even harder!!! Any ideas???

I'm not too sure about them being illegal, but I have been somewhere before where they've used them and they drew blood!! :eek:

Personally I don't like them and find them too dangerous so wouldn't use them, and like you mentioned the skin tends to come back even harder so kinda defeats the point in the long term i think! x

Razors, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole! :Scared:

A good footscrub and footfile are the best combination imo.

HTHs

its my understanding that using them can cause scar tissue to form and thats why it ends up coming back even harder, the hard shin is there in the first place as a defense mechanism to protect your feet.

There are so many non invasive ways to treat hard skin that I fail to see why anyone would put their clients at such risk with a razor.
Have a look at Callus Peel - works a blimmin' treat, and not a chance of a cut!
The main objective when treating callus is to smoothe rather than attempt to remove.

Personally I would leave razors and any other such items to the chiropodists! :eek:

I have been looking at the ped-eggs online as a very knowledgable geek recommended them on a thread last week for home use -
ped egg

Not sure if they would be suitable for use on numerous people though, I'm ordering mine just to use on my own tootsies.

By the way - the thought of using a razor makes me cringe! What next - potato peelers?! :lol:

x

I know razors are illegal in Michigan even tho I can go into any Sally's and purchase one. Personally, I would NEVER use one. Calluses are on our feet for a reason...protection. If you TOTALLY remove them, you can have some major foot problems. IMHO, I think our goal should be to SMOOTH the calluses, not REMOVE them. HTH! :)

Thanks everyone i thought this was the case its just when i saw you could buy them so easily i thought surely people are not going to start using these yolks now!!! They took so much skin of my feet that i couldnt walk on the soles of my feet properly and i just thought i would hate to do that to someone!:)

leave razors to the chiropodists. No need otherwise. X

There are so many non invasive ways to treat hard skin that I fail to see why anyone would put their clients at such risk with a razor.
Have a look at Callus Peel - works a blimmin' treat, and not a chance of a cut!
The main objective when treating callus is to smoothe rather than attempt to remove.

Out of interest Lynne, we have trialed thecallus peel tx in the salon, but I did not find it particularly good - (on my own feet - which are yuk)! This isn't meant to be detrimental to the product - I am just interested in how you apply this in your salon - do you leave on a lot longer than the suggested 15 mins?

Illegal or not, by one's country regulations... but surely razors or blades of any kind are dangerous, as said in previous posts.

I've seen home made butcherings done with blades... and never encourage anyone to buy those, although it can be bought in any drugstore and seem like a nice shortcut, and way out of paying for pedicures in salons and having them tell you it cannot all be removed/smoothed in one go... it's wrong and dangerous.

I'm trained and alowed to use disposable scalpels attached to scalpel holder and I'm holding that scalpel paralel to the skin and gently cutting, rather peeling thin thin amount of skin. If the skin is hard and thick. Otherwise foot files are just fine, among other products mentioned above.

But the main thing is - it's not just about removing the hard skin - you need to know how much to press that blade, how much you need to remove, and the main thing - you need to know when and where to stop. You never want to remove everything, because that's when hard skin will came back harder, or person will have painfull feet, or blisters, or infections... and that drugstore blades certanly do not let you be in control of the pressure and depth of the way you're going into the skin :eek:

... and yes, some people do have hard feet skin no matter what you do, but it's not because someone is a bad tech, but because it's just the way their body is... how the weight and weight pressure is balanced, and their spine condition, and how their feet lay down on the ground when they walk, and shoes they wear, and home aftercare... I hope this makes sense...

... my point is - it is sooooo dangerous in untrained hands. So if not trained and alowed, just don't bother with it, there are other great products to be used...

hth :hug:

Out of interest Lynne, we have trialed thecallus peel tx in the salon, but I did not find it particularly good - (on my own feet - which are yuk)! This isn't meant to be detrimental to the product - I am just interested in how you apply this in your salon - do you leave on a lot longer than the suggested 15 mins?

I've found it to be a fab product. I leave it on for about 15/20 mins, wrapping well in cling film. When combined with a Raw Earth pedicure the results are stunning!

Has anyone tried Pedi cream by MD Formulations???

You have to use is for at least 2 weeks to start noticing a difference, but it's brilliant!!!

Do no like the idea of razor blades at all

I went to a chiropodist for a pedicure and they used a dremel hand drill with a sanding attachment (not as scarey as it sounds!). It was really effective and I've seriously thought about getting one to use on clients as it left my flip flop hardened heels very smooth/soft. Has anyone had any experience of this?

The chiropodist said exactly the same, that hard skin builds up as a form of protection and should not be completely removed, just smoothed.

J

Part of the problem I have is with the client's themselves doing extremely interesting things in the name of Callus removal and it doesn;t seem to matter what you say about it all being there for a reason they can't seem to take it in and they want a permant 'cure'! Short of not ever walking again I think it is impossible!

I use Callus Peel too and it really does work. It doesn't remove all of the callus obviously but it removes enough to look beautiful and still leave a bit for protection. I leave it on for 15-20 mins the same as Lynne and it works a treat! Can't reccommend it enough!

Latest posts

Back